Charge rules

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Charge rules

Postby Theblackdog » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:20 pm

When I first started playing, I remember being intimidated by the apparent complexity of the charge rules. Looking back they're not actually that complex, but I still have some ideas for altering them.

When making a charge attack, add 1D6 to your damage roll for every 6" your unit moves that turn -- rounding down (a minifig which moved only 11" would still only get 1 extra damage D6). The original rules only allowed you to gain 1D6 damage max from a charge; this version means that most characters will still only get a +1D6 or +2D6 at most, but vehicles will get more, providing an incentive to build vehicles which can charge.
Only count movement that is in a straight line directly towards the target -- if a horseman moves 6", turns to face his target, and charges another 6" to hit him, he only gets 1D6 extra damage.
Minifigs trying to parry charge attacks get a -1 skill modifier, but a minifig who has just made a charge attack cannot parry enemy attacks for a full turn. (Optional rule: if the defender has a longer CC weapon than the attacker, he gets a free response attack as the attacker closes in.)
The 6" minimum means that a normal minifig can't usually charge, but unlike other attacks, you can make a charge attack on the same turn that you Sprint. (I decided on a 6" minimum to fix the main gameplay issue with the charge rules -- a minfig already in close combat can move away from his enemy and charge them again on the same turn.)
Optional rule: If a minifig fails to pierce his target's armor on a charge, he may choose to push his target back by a number of inches equal to the damage he rolled, as long as the target is no larger than the Charging unit.

TACTICAL NOTE: in infantry combat, these rules seem to favor large armies of cheap units, like zombies or Dimmies, with light CC weapons. Units composed of more skilled, better-equipped fighters will be more vulnerable if they charge themselves, but more capable of surviving a charge intact and striking back.
Last edited by Theblackdog on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.
Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby lrdofbricks » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:02 pm

1. the charge rule states 1d6 per size catagory, so minifigs only get one but larger vehicles may get more

2. horses (in real life) were always able to maintian near top speeds while turning, providing they give themselves enough room to wheel around.
LEGION- fear it
the 100000 post- by me
"manliness= X(warhead+piltog)^2/James+burgandy"
lrdofbricks
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Theblackdog » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:26 pm

lrdofbricks wrote:1. the charge rule states 1d6 per size catagory, so minifigs only get one but larger vehicles may get more

2. horses (in real life) were always able to maintian near top speeds while turning, providing they give themselves enough room to wheel around.

1. you're right, I didn't read the rules completely, but I think it's a bit more realistic this way. A spear is still a spear whether it's carried by a person on horseback or strapped to the front of a train.

2. The "straight line" rule isn't so much about realism as it is about game balance. Charge attacks, especially from a horse which would get 2-3 extra damage dice, are incredibly powerful. This rule balances them by a) making sure that units can't just make a charge attack, turn around, and charge the same enemy twice on consecutive turns and b) making it so that a unit which wants to avoid being charged can do so by using terrain cover. My goal is for these rules to play like a temporary power-up in a video game -- it can be used only so often, and it leaves you vulnerable in some ways when it runs out.
I do think that making charge attacks unparryable is a bad idea -- units that get charged should be able to parry at -1 skill, since the attack is coming in faster.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.
Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby lrdofbricks » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:15 pm

i understand that cavarly charges would be overpowered, but in reality, thay are ridicoulisly overpowered. thats why horses have a large CP cost. sometimes you have to be smart to fight, consider using huge spears agianst cavarly charges with set reaction rules, or taking them out longrange with guns or bows.
LEGION- fear it
the 100000 post- by me
lrdofbricks
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Theblackdog » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:23 pm

lrdofbricks wrote:I understand that cavarly charges would be overpowered, but in reality, thay are ridicoulisly overpowered. thats why horses have a large CP cost. sometimes you have to be smart to fight, consider using huge spears agianst cavarly charges with set reaction rules, or taking them out longrange with guns or bows.

The problem is that allowing Cavalry to charge while turning negates both of those potential responses. Forcing the cavalry to make a straight run at their targets means that they spend at least one turn inside their targets' fire arcs before they strike. (If the target units are ranged that is -- and charging isn't the best tactic against powerful melee units). If units can change direction mid-charge, they can hide behind cover on the turn before they attack and still strike with full force. Similarly, setting up a pike wall against a charging unit which can turn is futile because they can come at you from any direction before you can alter your formation in response. If the cavalry is forced to charge straight at you, you can tell which direction they're coming from one turn in advance, allowing you to set up your pike wall accordingly.
Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby stubby » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:35 am

Horses can maintain pretty good speed in a turn, but a mounted knight can't keep hold of a lance under those conditions.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby lrdofbricks » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:26 am

lol whoever siad anything about knights?

im more of a fan over genghis khan cavarly that could hit and apple with an arrow while the horse was at a full gallop.
LEGION- fear it
the 100000 post- by me
lrdofbricks
Jaw-Jaw

Return to The Rulebook