BW 2010 feedback

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Re: BW 2010 feedback

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:11 pm

stubby wrote:I do plan on having Heavy Infantry with a shield wall ability, but I was hoping to think of some little bit of extra flavor somehow because the shield wall ability (automatic Armored for any shieldsman with more shieldsmen on both sides) isn't all that exciting by itself.
At first blush, the math seems to work out in favor of doing static bonuses, limited to +2 (one for each adjacent shieldmate) to armor. Basic minifig in the middle boosts armor to 6, minifig on outside boosts armor to 5. Attacking the middle is riskier, requiring exploding dice for normal weapon attacks, but screws the whole line. Attacking the sides would be common, wittling the line down more slowly. This is how I've seen it done, allowing small variation for rules idiosyncrasies, in other games. However, didn't I read that you wanted to scrap static bonuses? Also, this seems even less inspiring than the armoured solution and might well fall outside balance when shield walling with non-basic minifigs (being that they have a static 4 armour value). Doesn't feel like the right solution for *this* game.

...now that I've talked about something that I don't think will work and have no solutions to offer instead...

I'm a helper. I can give it some more thought as well. I'm interested in seeing what you come up with.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:50 pm

Why not both? Static defenses AND armored bonus?

My beef is that we now have card names of "heavy" and "heavy infantry," which nobody has noticed is the exact same thing.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:51 am

On a different note, I think there should be a line in the machine gun entry that the gun must some way of pivoting in order to arc fire. If a machine gun is fixed to the front of a vehicle that's moving straight forward, it doesn't have the ability to spray left and right. The same goes for chin-mounted guns on aircraft.

Not exactly sure what to say for flame throwers, though. Arcing ability would depend on what kind of flame thrower you were using, so stream-firing ones would act differently than the fan-firing ones. Yes, those are technical terms.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:26 am

I just found this in the rulebook:
When speed is critical, a minifig (or any mobile unit) can Sprint, giving itself extra inches of Move for the turn equal to its Skill Roll, as long as the minifig's entire Movement for the turn (including the Sprint) is in a straight line.
Somehow I always just rolled a d6 for sprinting even with hero's and elite unit's. Good to know.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

Falk
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs

Post by Falk » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:31 am

Can you sprint up a hill?
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:19 am

As long as it's not so steep that you have to climb instead of walk. The usual rule is that you can run or jump over anything two bricks tall, but for anything taller, you have to climb.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:58 am

Just to clarify, can a flying unit "sprint" more flying movement as well, or is it just ground-based movement?

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:09 am

Yes. This includes flying vehicles also.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:33 pm

aoffan23 wrote:On a different note, I think there should be a line in the machine gun entry that the gun must some way of pivoting in order to arc fire. If a machine gun is fixed to the front of a vehicle that's moving straight forward, it doesn't have the ability to spray left and right. The same goes for chin-mounted guns on aircraft.

Not exactly sure what to say for flame throwers, though. Arcing ability would depend on what kind of flame thrower you were using, so stream-firing ones would act differently than the fan-firing ones. Yes, those are technical terms.
I guess, but I feel like this is the kind of things players would figure out at the table, and WISG if needed.

Something I HAVE been thinking about though is heavy MGs, and how to separate them from assault rifles rules-wise. Right now, I'm leaning towards them having the exact same stats, but for 1cp/size, a machinegun can be made heavy, and when it fires it's arc, it creates a zone that persists through the next turn. Any units walking into this zone friendly or otherwise, are hit with the weapon's damage once. Units hit on the player's turn wouldn't get hit again on their turn either: once you take a hit, you've taken a hit and that's that.

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:08 am

aoffan23 wrote:On a different note, I think there should be a line in the machine gun entry that the gun must some way of pivoting in order to arc fire. If a machine gun is fixed to the front of a vehicle that's moving straight forward, it doesn't have the ability to spray left and right. The same goes for chin-mounted guns on aircraft.

Eh, I personally just limit fixed guns to a single arc...

After all, nobody can claim a wall of bullets needs to be accurate!
IVhorseman wrote:Something I HAVE been thinking about though is heavy MGs, and how to separate them from assault rifles rules-wise. Right now, I'm leaning towards them having the exact same stats, but for 1cp/size, a machinegun can be made heavy, and when it fires it's arc, it creates a zone that persists through the next turn. Any units walking into this zone friendly or otherwise, are hit with the weapon's damage once. Units hit on the player's turn wouldn't get hit again on their turn either: once you take a hit, you've taken a hit and that's that.
Eh, that seems a bit complicated and hard to keep track off...

I mean, is there really a need for Heavy Machine Guns to be separated from regular Autoguns?
Only reason I can think of is to create an instant field hazard in front of a machine gun nest, which could probably be house-ruled as a regular field hazard you have to roll skill checks for.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:24 pm

Whiteagle wrote:I mean, is there really a need for Heavy Machine Guns to be separated from regular Autoguns?
Only reason I can think of is to create an instant field hazard in front of a machine gun nest, which could probably be house-ruled as a regular field hazard you have to roll skill checks for.
Pretty much exactly this.

I want that exact idea as something more than a house-rule. People make miniguns and big bulky repeaters all the time - but stats-wise it's no different than your common AK. For the most part, this is okay and encouraged. But that idea to create an instant field hazard would be something that a minifig with a big-ass minigun should be able to do. Suppressive fire,for the most part, means that my guys have to have a response action saved up, and can choose to either wait until all the guys are in range of an arc (at which point they'd advance one at a time to take pot-shots), or waste that action on just a single guy. A properly setup machine-gun turret however should totally be able to just set up a field hazard, and completely avoid having to make that decision at all.

The best part is that if an autogun were setup and ready to mow down every minifig that came their way, each shot would make it more and more likely to run out of ammo. So, a machinegun nest could be overran if enough figs get thrown at it. Totally brikwars.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:43 pm

It seems to me, then, that you CAN do exactly what you suggest. Ch. 8 has the rules for purchasing field hazards of various sizes for various CP and damages (even fire for a flame-thrower fixture if you like). These field hazards could be centered around whatever the "Heavy" machine gun is. It takes an extended action to create the field hazard in front of the gun. The field can be dismissed (stop firing bullets) at any time in the event that figs want to reposition the gun. Then with another extended action, the field hazard can be replaced in the new location relative to the machine gun.

I actually really like this idea.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:56 pm

Rev. Sylvanus wrote:It seems to me, then, that you CAN do exactly what you suggest. Ch. 8 has the rules for purchasing field hazards of various sizes for various CP and damages (even fire for a flame-thrower fixture if you like). These field hazards could be centered around whatever the "Heavy" machine gun is. It takes an extended action to create the field hazard in front of the gun. The field can be dismissed (stop firing bullets) at any time in the event that figs want to reposition the gun. Then with another extended action, the field hazard can be replaced in the new location relative to the machine gun.

I actually really like this idea.
Yeah, that sounds like the best option.

So a heavy machine gunner can take an extended action to set up his "Kill cone" or "Killone", where each enemy unit entering it has to beat his Skill roll to detect them or else they get a belly full of lead.
Each additional arc outside of his killone increases his Skill and Auto Penalties by one.

Thoughts?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:49 am

Nnnnnope, that's pretty much exactly what I had in mind too. Creative uses of field hazards.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:37 am

Whiteagle wrote:
Rev. Sylvanus wrote: Yeah, that sounds like the best option.

So a heavy machine gunner can take an extended action to set up his "Kill cone" or "Killone", where each enemy unit entering it has to beat his Skill roll to detect them or else they get a belly full of lead.
Each additional arc outside of his killone increases his Skill and Auto Penalties by one.
Nah, forget about skill rolls and penalties. Just set up a normal exposure damage field hazard 8 or 10 in long with 1d6, 2d6, or whatever caliber your machine gun is. Give the field whatever kind of arc you want that makes sense. Given the nature of the zone, both friend and foe will be shot to bits if they enter it. Stealthy units could sneak through using normal stealth rules, but your normal grunt won't have that much forethought.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders