BW 2010 feedback

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: BW 2010 feedback

Post by stubby » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:33 am

Well they're pretty open about the fact that they were pulling ideas "from the Lego fan community." Once they decided their movie was going to be about
Spoiler
Show
minifigs playing the part of actual minifigs within a Human's brick-built universe,
I can't think of any other "Lego fan communities" besides us that are playing with that idea as extensively as we are.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:35 am

stubby wrote:I can't think of any other "Lego fan communities" besides us

DeltaV
Officer

Post by DeltaV » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:32 am

Zupponn wrote:
stubby wrote:I can't think of any other "Lego fan communities" besides us
Also, I just realized Metalbeard is basically a dreadnought.
Brickwars: the only tabletop wargame that allows the units to have sexual intercourse with each other, produce offspring, and then use said offspring as Size 1 Explosives.

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:22 pm

I'm going with the headcanon that Morgan Freeman played Brikwars on the backlot during production with Ferrell, Day and Arnett to get into character, then.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:15 pm

The press has reported that his line about "you're going to have to write this down because I didn't catch any of that" or whatever was not in the original script. I don't know what he was saying it in response to, but it's easy to imagine that someone was trying to explain BrikWars to him.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:23 pm

A lot of things weren't in the original script, if Uni-kitty's voice actress is to be believed. I can't help but feel that that's what made it such a good movie.
Stubby, if you haven't seen it yet, you ought to.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:07 pm

What legal snafu would we have to go through to make any official commercial media regarding Brikwars? Like if Scythe novelized his shorts or a guy with filmmaker connections read about the Immortal War.

Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Post by Nimja » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:41 am

None, except permission from Lego and any other the copyrights we infinge.
What Mavericks sig is missing:
Silvawards 2013 wrote: Best Noob
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick
Winner: Maverick

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:32 am

Colette wrote:What legal snafu would we have to go through to make any official commercial media regarding Brikwars? Like if Scythe novelized his shorts or a guy with filmmaker connections read about the Immortal War.
None. There is nothing in either story or faction that is intrinsically linked to LEGO, so there is no applicable trademark (except from whoever owns the Ghostrider IP these days). The fact that the ideas we create here start off as lego creations and then have backstory or other elements added on is irrelevant (and given that 50 Shades of Grey got published after starting out as a Twilight fanfic, I doubt Scythe would have any issue getting his own works into print).

Publishing explicit Brikwars stuff (like the rulebook), might be tad risky, but since it includes the standard copyright boilerplate and other legal protection, it wouldn't be any harder to get it on store shelves than was for any of the other unofficial lego books.

Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Post by Nimja » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:58 pm

That idea of a book on shelves reminds me of this idea I had a while back, for a kickstarter for a Brikwars starter set, like GW's "assualt on black reach" or wahtever this editions version is.
What Mavericks sig is missing:
Silvawards 2013 wrote: Best Noob
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick
Winner: Maverick

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:10 pm

Oh look, this conversation again. Isn't it summed up as you are able to resell Lego in your own 'sets' as long as they are marketed in a way that distinctly sets them apart from any lego produced and endorsed set, on top of that, selling an unlicensed book with pictures of models composed of lego bricks within is completely legal. BUT our glorious leader would not want to do either, as Brikwars makes constant use of the lego mini-figure to the point where infringement would possibly occur, and if infringement occurs, then some lawyer somewhere on behalf of TLG would have to acknowledge brikwars's existence, and therefore either condemn or condone it, which if they did know about us, would rather not do either.

At a guess, Mike knows if he did stick a hardback rulebook up on a store that comes with a little custom DSM, or Almighty Benny, or any other classic/neo-classic brikwars symbol, and We'd be all over it like Russians in the Crimean.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:24 pm

Russians are in the Crimeon like Bonn-o-Tron.

Itxi
Hero

Post by Itxi » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:56 am

In our second game of Brikwars my housemate, a friend and I were using the new heavy armour rules.

I fielded the most heavy armour units and came second, so it's not about balance. But my housemate hates the new HA rules and still thinks they're overpowered and that they make the game drag.

He's kind of right about making the game drag, his tank had no weapons left and I still had two troops in heavy armour in the last 3 turns, neither side was really doing any damage until he just tank charged me and I failed to bail far enough.

I admit, a large part of the problem is him, he decided as soon as he heard the rules that he wasn't going to like the armour system (even got his troops to loot the corpses and go heavy themselves to try and show me it was annoying, I just carried on playing) I love having two types of armoured unit because light armour just doesn't do some minifigs justice, but are there any thoughts on alternatives, or perhaps a way I can get my housemate to stop being so stubborn?

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:30 pm

Itxi wrote:In our second game of Brikwars my housemate, a friend and I were using the new heavy armour rules.

I fielded the most heavy armour units and came second, so it's not about balance. But my housemate hates the new HA rules and still thinks they're overpowered and that they make the game drag.

He's kind of right about making the game drag, his tank had no weapons left and I still had two troops in heavy armour in the last 3 turns, neither side was really doing any damage until he just tank charged me and I failed to bail far enough.

I admit, a large part of the problem is him, he decided as soon as he heard the rules that he wasn't going to like the armour system (even got his troops to loot the corpses and go heavy themselves to try and show me it was annoying, I just carried on playing) I love having two types of armoured unit because light armour just doesn't do some minifigs justice, but are there any thoughts on alternatives, or perhaps a way I can get my housemate to stop being so stubborn?
Suggest that give some of his units SN dice. one SN damage die can cancel out a target's armor, and is an effective counter to heavy infantry.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:55 pm

Do SN dice have to be applied to a minifig? Can I put one on a weapon, and then bump its use rating up one to compensate the -1 on skill rolls?
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.