Sprinting and Movement Penalties

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Sprinting and Movement Penalties

Postby redcapscorner » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:39 pm

I don't have much BrikWars experience, but I'm going to be running BrikWars events at my store soon, so I'm reading through the rulebook, typing up a cheat sheet of rules so that when I'm teaching customers to play, we have a quick reference without having to over-rely on What I Say Goes rolls. Anyway, the following question just occurred to me in the process: if a unit with normal 5" movement spends its action sprinting on its turn, do units targeting that unit during the same round take the -1 penalty for fast movement?

Not trying to rules lawyer. I just don't want to rely too heavily on What I Say Goes. It's nice to have a standard, especially for a store environment.
TROLOLO
redcapscorner
Champion

Postby Rev. Sylvanus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:16 pm

It would seem that if the total movement (including the extra sprint distance) adds up to 6" or more not directly toward the shooter/target, then the fast movement penalties start to add up.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders
Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor

Postby Gungnir » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:03 pm

Unless you roll a 1, in which case the Minifig usually falls over on his face. Critical fails can be a bitch.
Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
Gungnir
Dimmy

Postby dilanski » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:16 am

Seeing as the other two made no sense. Mini-fig's don't take a penalty to hit a sprinting mini-fig, however they do take a penalty for shooting fast vehicles Gungnir basically reminded you that on ANY roll of a 1 on a single dice, or every dice in a roll coming up 1 (doesn't apply if multiple mini-figs shoot), a mini-fig fails the action completely, this doesn't apply for WISG or other non-minifig rolls.
ImageImageImage
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Subjugated Ireland

Postby Rev. Sylvanus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:45 am

From Chapter 5 of the rulebook:

Contrariwise, it's more difficult to hit a target that's moving very quickly, or if the attacker is moving very quickly itself; the attacker takes a -1 penalty for every 6" in the speed of whichever unit is moving the fastest. The exception is when the attacker and target are moving directly at one another, in which case this penalty is ignored.

My comment was referring to this. Sprinting minifigs typically move faster than 6". Therefore, targeting them should incur that "fast movement" penalty as long as their totaly speed is 6" or greater.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor

Postby redcapscorner » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:43 am

Yeah, that's where I'm getting confused. I've been using the 2010 rules as my reference, and it pretty clearly says that the speed rating of the unit is irrelevant, it only matters what actual speed it's traveling, but since sprinting is technically an action and not part of movement, I wasn't sure if that counted.
TROLOLO
redcapscorner
Champion

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:09 am

If he sprints he goes faster and thus is harder to hit. It's that simple so if they move 6" or faster then shooter gets a -1 skill penalty.

If he moves 12" or faster the shooter gets a -2 skill penalty.

Also, how do you guys treat critical success rolls on sprinting?
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.
*CRAZYHORSE*
My Little Pony

Postby Rev. Sylvanus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:23 am

If sprinting can critically fail, I'd say it can also critically succeed; moar distance!

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor

Postby stubby » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:35 pm

I agree with everyone except dilanski. To sum up:

6. Target speed penalties are determined by actual distance moved in the previous turn, rather than the target's Move rating.
7. Critical success on a Sprint roll is handled like any other roll: add moar dice. I might even add a house rule that if the last die is a 1 (like you roll 6+6+6+6+6+1) then the Sprinting unit loses control and must run the full distance, even if that plants him face-first into a wall or off a cliff.
stubby
Psy.D Child Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby Gungnir » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:32 pm

stubby wrote:I might even add a house rule that if the last die is a 1 (like you roll 6+6+6+6+6+1) then the Sprinting unit loses control and must run the full distance, even if that plants him face-first into a wall or off a cliff.

Or right off the table.
Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
Gungnir
Dimmy

Postby Zahru II » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:29 am

... or right into wall, dying from the impact.
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:00 am

Or goes so fast that he starts time traveling leaving burning footsteps on the ground.
He then reappears 1D6 turns later.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.
*CRAZYHORSE*
My Little Pony

Return to The Rulebook