Rocket Launcher Question

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

halo 3000
I though bringing it up might possibly get me one

Rocket Launcher Question

Post by halo 3000 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:51 am

I'm trying to figure out the stats of the bazooka in chapter 8 of the 2010 rules but I'm not sure how the damage works. Could some one explain it to me?
"My name is Art Vandelay. I'm an architect."~George Costanza

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Re: Rocket Launcher Question

Post by Zupponn » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:04 am

OK. If I'm thinking this through right, you measure your bazooka bullet, missile, etc. and come up with either an explosive size (XS) if it explodes upon impact, or a payload size (PS) if it doesn't. From there, use either (PS)d6 or (XS)d10. Remember that the XS bullet will do damage in a radius because of the explosion.

halo 3000

Post by halo 3000 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:18 am

Ok, so a hand held rocket launcher would do 1d10 damage if it explodes on impact?

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:24 am

halo 3000 wrote:Ok, so a hand held rocket launcher would do 1d10 damage if it explodes on impact?
As long as it is size 1. That will put the range at 6" and a rocket cost of 2 CP.

Or you could take a Size 2 launcher with a 12" range, UR 4 for 6 CP and load it with as many PS 1 1d10 explosives as you want for 1CP each. Or do what my RPG guys do and just take 3 Size 2 rockets. They'll have a UR of 4, range of 12", explode on impact, and do 2d10 damage. He'll need to be a heavy, though, to wield a size-2 weapon.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

halo 3000

Post by halo 3000 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:48 am

a rocket cost of 2 CP.
That's what I was missing. I didn't know that you had to buy each rocket for them. makes a lot more sense now.
That will put the range at 6"
It said 8'' in the rulebook. now I'm confused :?

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:31 am

Yes, you buy each rocket individually. And each rocket has a range 6" x its size. If all you do is buy rockets, you won't really need to buy the launcher for it...rockets are self-propelled and have their own UR.

If, instead, you treat the bazooka like a launcher, then the range is base on Launcher stats. The launcher has its own UR, and you buy explosives (which are cheaper) rather than rockets.

halo 3000

Post by halo 3000 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:20 pm

So, how would you determine the cost of the explosive?

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:20 pm

A regular explosive costs 1 CP for the number of 1d10 explosive damage it does. So a 1d10 explosive is 1CP, a 2d10 explosive is 2 CP. Thinking of minifigs, a 1d10 explosive can be thrown from a size 1 and bigger launcher; a 2d10 explosive needs at least a size 2 launcher or a "Bastard" launcher.

Here are some suggestions for your Bazooka troops with accompanying costs:
Size 1 Launcher (Range 6", UR 2, 3CP) with as many 1d10 explosives as you want at 1CP each.
Size 2 Launcher (Range 12", UR 4, 6CP) with as many 1d10 explosives as you want at 1CP each (must be used by a fig with compensating).
Size 2 Launcher (Range 12", UR 4, 6CP) with as many 2d10 explosives as you want at 2CP each (must be used by a fig with compensating).
"Bastard" Launcher (Range 8", UR 3, 4CP) with as many 1d10 explosives as you want at 1CP each.
"Bastard" Launcher (Range 8", UR 3, 4CP) with as many 2d10 explosives as you want at 2CP each.
As many Size 1 Self-propelled rockets (Range 6", UR 2, 2CP each) as you want.
As many Size 2 Self-propelled rockets (Range 12", UR 4, 4 CP each) as you want (must be used by a fig with compensating).

My own bazooka troops have compensating and carry 3 2d10 rockets for a total weapon cost of 12CP (which is essentially the same as taking a Size 2 Launcher and 3 explosives). Looking over this, if you are looking for a good damage-to-cost ratio, I'd probably take a "Bastard" bazooka with 3 2d10 explosives for 10CP.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:31 pm

It looks like you might be confusing him with size 1 launchers vs. bastard launchers, which have different ranges but the same UR.

Size 1 launchers are 1 handed and have 6" range, while the bastards take two hands for that extra two inches.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:46 pm

IVhorseman wrote:It looks like you might be confusing him with size 1 launchers vs. bastard launchers, which have different ranges but the same UR.

Size 1 launchers are 1 handed and have 6" range, while the bastards take two hands for that extra two inches.
Yes my first comment did :oops: ; I didn't realize there was a bastard launcher until I went back to 2010 and reread...and perhaps I should have made the exhaustive list less exhaustive...