New CP idea

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Re: New CP idea

Postby stubby » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:02 pm

I never intended to finish the card game. It's just a fun idea to work on periodically. Feel free to move forward with it on your own - it shouldn't be hard to mock ideas up on 3x5 index cards with stick-figure art; that's what I was doing for the playtests.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby JuiceBox » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:33 pm

I really love the idea of using unit inches and mods instead of cp. I was in the process of making stat cards for all my units and it was taking forever using cp as the economy. This new system is much simpler.
JuiceBox
Demi-God of BrikWars

Postby Legofighter » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:05 am

:necro:
Free guns for every minifig/vehicle somehow seems unbalanced:
A fig with a grenade launcher or a sniper is much more powerful than one with, say, a pistol, yet under this system they both cost the same.
A maching gun on an APC costs the same as a canon that can be on a tank, yet the second option is many times more powerful, as it can destroy other vehicles/walls regularly, while with an MG it's much harder.
Also, there's a few thing that are missing for the moment:
Do explosives (like grenades, cannon ammo, missiles) cost something? Having them as free when you have a gun to fire them is OP.
Does a movable cannon placed on the ground cost anything? It should at least cost it's size, as it's a vehicle by itself (now the fact that it needs figs to move it is like tanks that need probably more than 1 fig to operate at full capacity:
you got to buy them)

I, personally, don't see too much problems with CP (mainly because of the new stat card generator for vehicles). It's also more balanced and allows you to have fun battles as many times as you want once the stat card is created.
From the frigid cold of Canada, -40 year long.
Legofighter
Minifig

Postby stubby » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:26 am

Legofighter wrote::necro:
Free guns for every minifig/vehicle somehow seems unbalanced:
A fig with a grenade launcher or a sniper is much more powerful than one with, say, a pistol, yet under this system they both cost the same.
A maching gun on an APC costs the same as a canon that can be on a tank, yet the second option is many times more powerful, as it can destroy other vehicles/walls regularly, while with an MG it's much harder.

I disagree. Powerful weapons are better against heavy targets due to Damage, but light weapons are more effective against smaller targets due to Use. Whether an army full of snipers and grenadiers is more effective than an army full of knife-and-pistol guys depends mainly on what terrain they're fighting over.

Legofighter wrote:Also, there's a few thing that are missing for the moment:
Do explosives (like grenades, cannon ammo, missiles) cost something? Having them as free when you have a gun to fire them is OP.

You still have to carry them. For minifigs, the cost of carrying a second explosive round isn't the CP, it's that it's a physical object and it takes up a free hand. And then once you're out, you're out.

For vehicles, it's a little trickier, but similar. I feel fine about you having infinite missiles if you're going to take the trouble to build them.

Legofighter wrote:Does a movable cannon placed on the ground cost anything? It should at least cost it's size, as it's a vehicle by itself (now the fact that it needs figs to move it is like tanks that need probably more than 1 fig to operate at full capacity

Yep. But even if it didn't, you'd still need to pay for the fig who operates it.

Legofighter wrote:I, personally, don't see too much problems with CP (mainly because of the new stat card generator for vehicles). It's also more balanced and allows you to have fun battles as many times as you want once the stat card is created.

Which is why I'm leaving it in for now. But in the long term I think CP accounting is just extra work that doesn't really add any value to the experience. I think removing CP can be just as balanced and allows you to have fun battles as many times as you want... immediately.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby Scratch » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:40 pm

I'd say the other balancing factor about having explosives not cost CP is that if you have a truck packed to the brim with explosives, one smart scout or crit fail will send your side of the field to Valhalla. So there's an inherent threat to having too many explosives in one place. (on a side note, all explosives should detonate when shot, even stable ones like C4, since having an explosive not explode is totally not brikwars.)
The only unflawed system is Lego System.
Zupponn wrote:
Colette wrote:You're free to make your own map from scratch, however.

All you have to do is flatten his head.
Scratch
Jaw-Jaw

Previous

Return to Bonus Material