Jumping from stuff

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Postby IVhorseman » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:12 am

right. stupid.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Thyclaine » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:46 am

Rody wrote:terminal velocity of a minifig?,
yeah, I'll calculate that later, when I don't have a hangover.

As far as doing it in real life, actually dropping a minifig off a building, I have no idea.

As far as in a Brikwars battle, about 100-120 mph. Same as a human, I can't think of any reason for it to change.
Time travel's been getting me down.
TROLOLO
Thyclaine
Hero

Postby ahp77 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:52 am

Blitzen wrote: You could also do some physics, but I doubt you would want to.

And I haven't taken any physics classes.
ahp77
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Blitzen » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:53 am

Neither have I.

Of course, that doesn't stop you from learning physics.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.
Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Postby Skinnydude » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:47 pm

ahp77 wrote:while falling, gravity makes you fall faster. Parachutes were made to almost nullify this.

Okay, where's my blasted anti-gravity parachute then already?

As for dropping a minifig onto another fig, do you really want to add in all that much more math to find terminal velocity and whatnot? I mean, seems to me like the Charging rules would work fine, with maybe some sort of damage bonus added if the fig falls a certain distance?

Of course, there'd have to be some sort of limit to how much damage you could do with this method, otherwise you could just end up taking a portal gun, making an infinite loop to drop through for a few dozen turns, and then exiting above some poor sap. After you've basically fallen the distance it would take to go through the Earth or more, of course =P
Well what've we got here....
Skinnydude
Champion

Postby Rayhawk » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:08 pm

According to the Charge Rules, a minifig hits his Momentum limit after two inches, and extra speed doesn't make a difference.

(Where the extra speed does make a difference is in how much damage the minifig takes if he hits the ground instead of another minifig, since the ground has no Momentum limit.)

Since a minifig is too padded and squishy to do Damage in a Charge attack, then the only real effect of a minifig falling on somebody would be KnockBack from the collision, which hopefully would Knock Back the guy he lands on into the hard cold ground for some tasty Smash Damage.

So the end result is, a minifig can fall 100 stories and be just fine as long as he lands on another minifig, and the guy he lands on has pretty even odds of surviving.
Rayhawk
Overlord

Postby ahp77 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:23 pm

Rayhawk wrote:According to the Charge Rules, a minifig hits his Momentum limit after two inches, and extra speed doesn't make a difference.

(Where the extra speed does make a difference is in how much damage the minifig takes if he hits the ground instead of another minifig, since the ground has no Momentum limit.)

Since a minifig is too padded and squishy to do Damage in a Charge attack, then the only real effect of a minifig falling on somebody would be KnockBack from the collision, which hopefully would Knock Back the guy he lands on into the hard cold ground for some tasty Smash Damage.

So the end result is, a minifig can fall 100 stories and be just fine as long as he lands on another minifig, and the guy he lands on has pretty even odds of surviving.

Of course, then you have to find out about how tough the ground is, don't you?
ahp77
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Blitzen » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:37 pm

You have to find out how big the ground is. It is, according to the first Google result, 7,901 miles (12,715.43 km) through the most narrow part. This makes it a size 500 607 360 building, and does a max of 250 303 680d6 damage against the falling Minifig. It will die.

If this is soft ground (a new rule added, which I only found out about today. What the hell? The Charge rules were split into three sections), it only does a max of half that -- 125 151 840d6 -- still enough to guarantee a kill. You can roll those dice, though, if you really want to.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.
Blitzen

Postby Rayhawk » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:31 pm

Although naturally, to build up enough momentum for the ground to reach those numbers, the minifig would have to fall several thousand real-world miles in a single turn.

Depending on whether you have enough Lego ladders, it would take an average minifig over two hundred million turns to climb to the necessary altitude.
Rayhawk
Overlord

Postby Blitzen » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:48 pm

1 word: teleportation.
Blitzen

Postby ahp77 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:39 am

Blitzen wrote:1 word: teleportation.

Or a very expensive hero
ahp77
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Rody » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:42 am

ok, assuming minifig scale is is 1/45
(math done in other thread) one turn lasts 0.48 seconds (rounded off)

the terminal velocity of a human is 195 km/h (120 mph or 55m/s)
55m/s
so 55/0.48 = 115meters/turn (rounded off)

115/45 = 2.55 meters per turn (rounded off)
this is 100" per turn.
calculated from 120mph or 195 km/h it rounded of to 98" per turn.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Rody
My Little Pony

Postby ahp77 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:10 pm

Rody wrote:ok, assuming minifig scale is is 1/45
(math done in other thread) one turn lasts 0.48 seconds (rounded off)

the terminal velocity of a human is 195 km/h (120 mph or 55m/s)
55m/s
so 55/0.48 = 115meters/turn (rounded off)

115/45 = 2.55 meters per turn (rounded off)
this is 100" per turn.
calculated from 120mph or 195 km/h it rounded of to 98" per turn.

I thought that for terminal velocity you would find terminal velocity of ABS plastic
ahp77
Jaw-Jaw

Postby pesgores » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:18 pm

NUKE DA PLACE DOWN

And you won't have anymore problems in the future.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby superdave » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:04 am

ahp77 wrote:I thought that for terminal velocity you would find terminal velocity of ABS plastic

Does terminal velocity not also consider shape of the falling object?
TROLOLO
superdave
Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Bonus Material