Brikwars CTF

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Vason
Hero

Brikwars CTF

Post by Vason » Wed May 15, 2013 3:22 pm

For the past couple sessions, the group I play with has been trying to figure out a good way to do a Capture the Flag-style game with Brikwars. Play is on a roughly 20"x30" board, peppered with cover (we tried a 20"x50" board first, it took way too long to get to the other side. Both teams get a set of 11 pre-made figures inspired by TF2 and other places. A team uses 8 of them at a time, they respawn a full turn after they die, and may swap to an unused fig when the fig is set to respawn. Spawn points are on the corners of the board (each team gets the two closest to their flag), the flags are on the middle of the shorter side, 2" away from the edge, and if the flag is dropped, it stays in that spot.

I think I've balanced the classes against each other; the last game we had, noone had a massive advantage due to choosing the 'right' classes. The problem we ran into is that not once has someone able to actually capture the flag. Everyone keeps dying without getting close. The one time someone was able to even touch the flag, he was immediately cut down. The carnage was awesome, which would have been perfect for a regular game of Brikwars, but CTF kinda needs someone to survive long enough to move the flag. My next thought is to set up the board wider than it is long, preventing recently-spawned figs from being able to instantly respond to a carrier, allowing for a wider variety of routes across, while still keeping the flags a somewhat short distance apart.

I imagine someone has successfully ran a CTF style game in the past. What hurdles have you encountered, and how have you dealt with them? Or, is CTF simply a style of gameplay too difficult to adapt to a turn-based strategy game without a fog of war?

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Re: Brikwars CTF

Post by IVhorseman » Wed May 15, 2013 4:51 pm

It works well if you don't have respawns. taking out respawns means that eventually the game DOES end because there's nobody left on one of the teams. I doubt that's what you want though.

Maybe try lengthening respawns?

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Wed May 15, 2013 8:39 pm

I did CTF once. It was simple: both sides had a flag, and if you brought the enemy flag to your base, then you won. After I killed most of my enemy's troops, he managed to steal my flag with a very fast unit.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Wed May 15, 2013 11:02 pm

You should post the stats for said classes.
Also, One-Flag CTF is always fun. You put a flag in the center, and the first person to get it to their base wins.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

Vason
Hero

Post by Vason » Fri May 17, 2013 5:08 pm

We liked the idea of Respawns, thinking it would allow for interesting strategy with class switching. Taking respawns out would definitely shorten the game, but also would likely change the goal from 'Get the flag' to 'kill their dudes.'

One flag seems like an option, we'll have to give it a shot.

Here's the classes. Some CP costs are estimated for non-vanilla abilities, CP was only really used to balance the classes out, and aren't used in-game.
Soldier
Skill: 1d6
Move: 5”
Armor: 1d6
Weapons:
Long Range Weapon (UR 3, 10”, 1d6+1)
Supernatural:1d4 for Skill or Armor
12 CP

Scout
Move: 8”
Armor: 1d4
Weapons:
Short Range Weapon (UR 3, 6”, 1d6)
Supernatural: 1d8 for movement
13 CP

Heavy
Move: 4”
Armor: 1d10
Weapons:
MachineGun (UR 3 + Auto Penalty, 5”, 1d6)
Supernatural: 1d6 into Damage
12 CP

Engineer
Weapons:
Short Range Weapon (UR 3, 6”, 1d6)
Special:
TurretKraft: May spend an action to create a stationary Size 1 AutoTurret with stats: 1d6 Skill, 1d4 Armor, and a Short Range Weapon (UR 3, 6”, 1d6). May spend a second turn to upgrade to a Bastard Autogun (UR 3, 8”, 1d6+1, Auto). May fire at targets in its forward 90° arc, may shift left or right once on its turn. May only create 1 Turret. If the Engineer dies, the Turret is destroyed.
12 CP

Pyro
Weapons:
Flamethrower (UR 2 + Auto Penalty, 4”, 1d4 Fire, Minimum 1 Arc, modifiers for cover modify the attack's Damage rather than Skill.)
Special: Units that are On Fire cannot be respawned until the fire is put out.
11 CP

Sniper
Skill: 1d8
Weapons:
Size 2 Gun (UR 4, 10”, 2d6)
CP 11

Demoman
Weapons:
Launcher (UR 2, 6”, 1d10 Explosive, 2” Radius)
12 CP

Berserker
Move: 6”
Armor: 1d8
Weapons:
Two-Handed Weapon (UR 4, 2d6)
Special: OverCompensating - May use Oversized weapons with no penalty to Movement
12CP

BladeMaster
Move: 6”
Armor: 1d8
Weapons:
Heavy Weapon (UR 3, 1d6+2)
Special: May use two heavy weapons at the same time.

12CP

Sword-and-Shielder
Weapons:
Heavy Shield (UR 3, Shielded Parry, Can be used for Cover)
Supernatural: 1d4 Armor
12CP

Killa Kan
Move: 4” (8” original)
Armor: Shielded, 1d4
Weapons:
Two-Handed Weapon (UR 4, 2d6)
Heavy Armor (Shielded)
12CP