Brikspace -- TBD edition

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Brikspace -- TBD edition

Postby Theblackdog » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:32 pm

So I've finally decided to publish my Brikspace rules for public ridicule/C&C. The intent behind these rules is to provide a more in-depth ruleset to use with small fleets of 3-10 microscale spacecraft (not counting fighter squadrons), as opposed to the hundreds-of-ships LDD fleets Epik Space was designed to handle. The ruleset features frictionless movement and customizable ships with a wide range of weapons and special abilities. I've put the Google doc here. Example games with earlier versions of the rules can be found here, here, here, here and here.

Thoughts on the rules as they stand:
The biggest problem, and one that's hard to resolve, is that battles typically become jousts with both teams flying towards each other, trying to reach the optimal range. This results in an interesting opening as both sides jockey for position, and a not-very-interesting endgame as one side or the other reaches its optimal range and is content to stay there, or both sides reach optimal range and have no reason to move.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Re: Brikspace -- TBD edition

Postby stubby » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:54 pm

A lot of games in this genre solve the problem by making ships hard to target from the front, easy to target on the broadside, leading players to try and trick each other into exposing their flanks.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Theblackdog » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:26 am

Hmm. It could work, but in this game ships can rotate by up to 180 degrees each turn, so it would be hard to sneak up on an enemy's flanks. What might work better is an accuracy bonus to attacks made against ships traveling directly towards or away from you -- this would encourage the different sides to 'spiral in' instead of charging directly towards one another. Battlefleet Gothic has something like this IIRC.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby stubby » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:59 pm

Theblackdog wrote:Hmm. It could work, but in this game ships can rotate by up to 180 degrees each turn, so it would be hard to sneak up on an enemy's flanks.

Not at all. This is where coordination and positional advantage come into play - if you can cover a target from more than one angle, there's no direction it can turn that doesn't leave a flank exposed.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Theblackdog » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:05 pm

When I get home I'll playtest it both ways, see what works best.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Return to Bonus Material