Tank Wars beta rules

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Tank Wars beta rules

Postby Theblackdog » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:20 am

Inspired by this. I've only been able to make one microscale tank so far, because of my unwillingness to disassemble my micro fleet for parts.

Tank Wars!

I. Moving and Attacking
Movement is simple: Tanks move however far their stats say they can move. Tanks have a turn radius of 1” per 6” of movement.
Each tank can make one attack per turn. To attack, roll 1D6 for accuracy. If the roll is a 4 or higher, you hit your target. Roll as many damage dice as your tank’s stats say you have, and subtract the target’s armor roll from your damage roll to find the amount of damage your attack does.

II. Building the tanks
Building an army of tanks is the first step to playing a TankWars game. Duh. Here we’ll show you how to construct the stats for an individual tank.
The first step is to choose the size of your tank; the tank’s size determines its hit points and the number of System Points it has. System Points can be used to buy movement, damage dice, weapon range, and armor dice. One System Point can buy:

2” of Movement range (Cap of 12”)
4” of weapon range (Cap of 12”)
1 Damage D6 (Cap=maximum stud length of tank class)
1 Armor D6 (Cap=maximum stud length of tank class)

All tanks start out with very basic "free" stats: 2" of movement, 5" of weapon range, 1D6 damage, and 1D6 armor.

Light tank
Size: 1-4 studs
System Points: 8
Hit Points: 4
Base cost: 12

Medium Tank
Size: 4-8 studs
System Points: 12
Hit Points: 8
Base cost: 20

Heavy Tank
Size: 8-12 studs
System Points: 14
Hit Points: 16
Base cost: 30

Super Heavy Tank
Size: 12+ studs
System Points: 18
Hit Points: 20
Base cost: 40
Super Heavy Tanks can carry two weapons instead of one, and have up to two Weapon Specialties. Accuracy rolls against a Super Heavy Tank require a 3 or higher to hit.

III. Weapon Specialties
Each Tank may have one Weapon Specialty. These special abilities can’t be turned on and off – they are permanently active unless otherwise stated in the description. Super Heavy Tanks may have two weapons specialties.

Rocket (5cp)
Twice per game, a tank with this ability may add 2D6 to its damage roll.

Explosive Shell (10cp)
The tank’s attacks have a blast radius of 2”. The explosion causes 1D6 less damage than a direct hit (A direct hit causes full damage, however).

Smoke launcher (3cp)
At any time during the game, the tank may deploy a smoke bomb instead of firing its main gun. All enemy tanks attacking this tank for the next turn must subtract 1 from their accuracy rolls.

Shield Generator (10cp)
This vehicle’s main weapon is replaced with a shield generator. The shield’s diameter equals the vehicle’s Range stat. Any attacks passing through the shield are reduced by an amount equal to the projector vehicle’s attack roll.

EMP (12cp)
This tank’s main weapon is replaced with an EMP generator. The EMP field’s diameter equals the tank’s range stat, and its strength equals the tank’s attack stat. Any enemy tanks “damaged” by the EMP field are unable to move or fire for the next turn.

Automatic Fire (14cp)
This tank may make two attacks per turn.

Artillery cannon (14cp)
This tank can fire over terrain obstacles.

CC Weapon
This tank’s main gun has been replaced with a close combat weapon. Each System Point allocated to Damage gives the tank 2D6 of damage.

IV. Sample Stats
Pirate Tank
Class: Medium Tank
HP: 8
Move: 10"
Range: 12"
Damage: 3D6
Armor: 3D6
Specialty: Rocket -- twice per game, this tank may add 2D6 to its damage roll.

Yes, the micro tank I built is a micro replica of LEGO's SW Pirate Tank, or at least what my model will look like when I'm through modifying it.
Last edited by Theblackdog on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.
Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Arkbrik » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:24 am

I'm pretty sure the normal Brikwars rules can be used for microscale tank battles, but these rules look great for adding more detail.
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby birdman » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:37 am

this sounds pretty good. a few things: close combat weapons? on tanks? maybe a ramming spar, but not as a main weapon. have you playtested this?
birdman
Galidor

Postby pesgores » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:40 am

Combat with tanks and nothing else can be boring.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby Arkbrik » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:44 am

Well, it would be a simple matter to include an upgrade that allows the tanks to fly, which would give you airplanes, helicopters, spaceships, etc.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby pesgores » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:49 am

Arkbrik wrote:Well, it would be a simple matter to include an upgrade that allows the tanks to fly, which would give you airplanes, helicopters, spaceships, etc.

Then include minifigs, weapons for said minifigs, buildings, etc., and we had another version of BrikWars.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby Arkbrik » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:51 am

I wrote:I'm pretty sure the normal Brikwars rules can be used for microscale tank battles, but these rules look great for adding more detail.

...and we're back where we started.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby pesgores » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:54 am

In less than 1 hour, we've discussed how this could be another version of BrikWars, without even being related to that.
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby Theblackdog » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:13 pm

My idea was that this would be for large scale vehicle battles without the need for a lot of pieces or a high school gym to stage it in. Micro plane rules could also be included, along with a "Flak gun" specialty for tanks. Infantry wouldn't even be included, since they would not for the most part be able to do much damage to the tanks and running over them would not slow the vehicles down very significantly.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.
Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:40 pm

You know this should be in lesser games because it really doesn't add anything to brikwars.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.
*CRAZYHORSE*
Playmobil

Postby IVhorseman » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:24 pm

Theblackdog wrote:My idea was that this would be for large scale vehicle battles without the need for a lot of pieces or a high school gym to stage it in. Micro plane rules could also be included, along with a "Flak gun" specialty for tanks. Infantry wouldn't even be included, since they would not for the most part be able to do much damage to the tanks and running over them would not slow the vehicles down very significantly.

Toss a man a bazooka and tanks don't stand a chance.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Theblackdog » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:28 pm

My experience with regular Brikwars shows that while battles with a lot of infantry OR a lot of big vehicles can be fun, combining the two is difficult at best. Natalya is the only one I know who has ever been able to manage an "all-out epic battle" so that the players had fun.
Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby tahthing » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:37 pm

move away from tanks and you get much more building opitunitys with mobile commands,radar,EMP,long-range-artillary,helicopters,
dropships,scout speeders,etc
micro scale is awesome for big armys.
im working on a system where no weapon has certain pieces to represent it, a light laser cannon is a leaver and a medium laser cannon is a leaver.
bigger guns need bigger pieces though.
small scale needs no infantry and is normaly in post apocalyic or apocalptic times where radiation is around, hover battles ftw.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
Spoiler: show
I am the muffinman
tahthing
Mega Blok

Postby Tzan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:26 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Toss a man a bazooka and tanks don't stand a chance.

Toss a man a bazooka and he kills for a day.
Toss a man a sword and he kills for a lifetime.

-The Book of BrikThulhu

Oh wait maybe this one is better:

Toss a man a bazooka and he kills for a day.
Teach a man how to build a bazooka and he kills for a lifetime.

-The Book of BrikThulhu

Oh wait!

*waves hands in an arcane manner as if to summon a creature who could more easily explain his thoughts, but as the creature arrives, it eats him*
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby OneEye589 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:07 pm

Toss a man a bazooka hard enough to kill him so he can't use it against you.

-Me
OneEye589
Pooplord

Next

Return to Bonus Material