Orbital Bombardment

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Orbital Bombardment

Postby Theblackdog » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:06 pm

After my Brikspace battle, I started thinking about rules to combine space combat and ground combat. Here is the solution which I eventually came up with.

Each team has one or more "scout" units which are in communication with the ships in orbit. (Another option is to have officer units be able to call down orbital fire... I'm still considering which to use)

On the space map, scouts are represented by colored markers. The markers move in the same distance and direction as the corresponding scout on the ground map. A scout can only establish radio contact with a ship if his marker is within 6" of that ship.

A scout may call down an orbital strike on any target within 6" of himself if a ship which is able to make an orbital strike is within communication range. The scout can't be inside a building or vehicle with a roof when he does so.

Alternatively, he can call for a reinforcement drop.

Some spacecraft have the ability to jam scouts' radios. If a jammer comes within 10" of a scout marker, that scout is unable to communicate with any orbiting spacecraft.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby birdman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:08 pm

that sounds ok, only the movements of scouts on the space map is going to be greatly accelerated by the huge lack of scale (that scout is as big as an asteroid).
birdman
Galidor

Postby Theblackdog » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:19 pm

It's complex. My other option is a sort of "king of the hill" arrangement where the ships can only make orbital strikes when they are in a certain area near the middle of the map. I might actually go with that, this is pretty complex. The scouts on the surface will still be there to determine which targets the ships can attack.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby pesgores » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:29 pm

I like these rules.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby Cpl. Halan » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:41 pm

it should be officers or hero, but I think they should be able to call it down anywhere on the map that is within 6" of a scout. also, drop the scouts on the ship map idea, it ruins the effect.
Cpl. Halan
Dimmy

Postby jifel » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:35 pm

It should be scouts, and the best option I see is to make a "mini map" of the battle field with equivelant dimensions, just no physical features, and move the scout to scale with the minimap, and have the ships play over it. Alternately, scouts can call down strikes within 6" as long as the mothership is alive, and wants to spare the weapons. As soon as Dimmy Purge is done, I think I will try this :twisted: :twisted:

jifel
"And the angels of darkness descended upon pinions of fire and light...the great and terrible dark angels."

jifel
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Theblackdog » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:57 am

As soon as Dimmy Purge is done, I think I will try this Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Oooh, it's a race now. Will MasterEcabob or jifel start their forum battle first? Whoever is the first to post a frictionless space combat game gets a free slot in my next battle.

As for the rules, I'm going with the "king of the hill" system. In the center of the field, there is a 12" wide circle; ships within that circle can attack any ground target within 6" of a friendly scout. There are no jammer units. The idea is that anybody who stays for a significant length of time in that area will be slaughtered by several different opposing factions.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby MasterEcabob » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:49 am

Jifel will probably win. I could start my battle right now, but I have another, more interesting project to start first.

Of course, if I start that this weekend and give it a 5 turn limit . . .
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!
MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Postby tahthing » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:05 am

i think units with radios should be able to, intergrateing a radio in a helmet should cost 1cp more than a radio.
the orbital strike should also veary from ship to ship and some ships shouldent have it.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
Spoiler: show
I am the muffinman
tahthing
Mega Blok

Postby Theblackdog » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:50 am

tahthing wrote:i think units with radios should be able to, integrating a radio in a helmet should cost 1cp more than a radio.
the orbital strike should also vary from ship to ship and some ships shouldn't have it.

I don't think that you should be able to give any trooper a radio for only a few CP -- that way anybody could call down an orbital strike. But you're right about the second part. Some ships have the Orbital Bombardment special ability, some ships have the Reinforcement Drop special ability, and some ships have ship-to-ship specials like defense fields or boosters. In addition, ships aren't able to fire their other weapons when they use these abilities.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby tahthing » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:00 pm

Theblackdog wrote:
tahthing wrote:i think units with radios should be able to, integrating a radio in a helmet should cost 1cp more than a radio.
the orbital strike should also vary from ship to ship and some ships shouldn't have it.

I don't think that you should be able to give any trooper a radio for only a few CP -- that way anybody could call down an orbital strike. But you're right about the second part. Some ships have the Orbital Bombardment special ability, some ships have the Reinforcement Drop special ability, and some ships have ship-to-ship specials like defense fields or boosters. In addition, ships aren't able to fire their other weapons when they use these abilities.

the radios would be expensive like 10cp or something but to add it to a helmet to make it hands free would only be 1cp.
since htey would be small there would need to be a relay to space the relays would cost around 20cp. thats 31cp for a relay a radio and for the radio to be put in to the minifigure the reciver on the spaceship would be free since they would have that eneyway but the weapon would veary and would have to be extremly long range but that goes into space cp not normal cp.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
Spoiler: show
I am the muffinman
tahthing
Mega Blok

Postby jifel » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:04 pm

I believe a radio should be 10 points, a radio hemet/headset should be 12 points, and I really like TBD's idea of a 12" circle in the space battlefield.

jifel
"And the angels of darkness descended upon pinions of fire and light...the great and terrible dark angels."

jifel
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Theblackdog » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:30 pm

What does it matter? I don't use CP. An average "team" in any battle would have 1-4 units capable of calling down orbital strikes.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby pesgores » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:28 am

Let's not forget that planes can also bombard the surface without having to exit the Earth surface.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby Cpl. Halan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:10 am

yes, but they can also be blown to bits by AA fire
Cpl. Halan
Dimmy

Next

Return to Bonus Material