Landmines

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Landmines

Postby Cpt. Zipps » Thu May 28, 2009 5:51 pm

It occured to me a while back while making a recon jeep that there are no rules for landmines. I had extreme difficulty trying to figure out how to do them on a vehicle since they don't really fall under the "rockets" catagory and since large explosives have no use rating of their own and they aren't really launched from a launcher. They might be dropped but not launched so I guess all I'm asking is...

Any ideas?
Cpt. Zipps
Playmobil

Postby tahthing » Thu May 28, 2009 6:17 pm

a landmine is basically a lump of explosives liked to a pressure trigger, when pressure is applyed (by somebody steping on it/a vehical going over it) it explodes!

its simple, its an explosive that explodes when something comes into contact with the top of.

ide say they are droped and there activation whould be a button on top that would need no skill roll to push.

a good way to drop them would be things like pick-up trucks since you can pile them in the back and just activate one at a time and chuck it out the back.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
Spoiler: show
I am the muffinman
tahthing
Mega Blok

Postby IVhorseman » Thu May 28, 2009 6:21 pm

There's a rule supplement lying around here somewhere talking about landmines. Basically, you set a whole area aside and claim there are landmines there. Then, whenever a minifig walks through, he rolls skill. If he moved more inches than the number on the skill roll, the mine goes off (regular explosive). If it's lower, he's safe. Also, all vehicles going into a minefield instantly set off the mines.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby tahthing » Thu May 28, 2009 6:23 pm

IVhorseman wrote:There's a rule supplement lying around here somewhere talking about landmines. Basically, you set a whole area aside and claim there are landmines there. Then, whenever a minifig walks through, he rolls skill. If he moved more inches than the number on the skill roll, the mine goes off (regular explosive). If it's lower, he's safe. Also, all vehicles going into a minefield instantly set off the mines.

id use thease rules but each time a mine gose off ide put a 2x2 plate there to show its gone off so 2 diffrent minifigures don't both blow up on the same landmine
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
I am the muffinman
tahthing
Mega Blok

Postby Blitzen » Thu May 28, 2009 6:24 pm

There's also a rule for single hidden pre-placed mines. You write down the location of a mine on a piece of paper, and when someone steps on it, you can prove there's one there.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.
Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Postby Almighty Benny » Thu May 28, 2009 6:29 pm

yeah, but that makes things complicated when trying to set up landmines mid-battle.

How about: Pick a random object to mark the minefield. You simply need to place it on the battlefield, you do not need to warn your opponents. There is now a minefield within a 6 inch radius of the random object. The entire minefield can be disarmed if the object is removed, but it takes a full turn to disarm it. It would also be a good idea to secretly write down that you're doing this, so nobody can question you later when their guys mysteriously blow up.

You can do the same thing with timed charges, but you should secretly keep track of the turn number that you set the charges and the number of turns you set the fuse for.
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...
Almighty Benny
Galidor

Postby tahthing » Thu May 28, 2009 6:40 pm

instead of timed charges ide just build small suicide droids fitted with bombs, much better way of haveing something suddenly blow up.
or missiles, missiles can change a game from them pushing you into retreat to, everything being dead.
I am the muffinman
tahthing
Mega Blok

Postby Professor Ken » Sat May 30, 2009 7:26 am

Bah, implied mine fields are too difficult to deal with! You could just try treating them like actual minefields, you know. The purpose of a minefield is not only to covertly blow up one's opponents, but also to encourage them to try a "safer" route, like, say, that convenient gap you placed between your heavy machineguns and armored units.

I say you should put evenly-spaced 1-by-1's on a baseplate and declare it a minefield for all to see. Each mine does a given amount of damage when stepped on, and you have to exceed a roll (probably of 3) on your Skill rating to step over one. You WANT your enemy to know where your mines are, because he'll have a choice of a) getting his anti-mine crews shot to bits, or b) getting his men shot to bits or c) getting his men shot AND blown to bits.

Either way, you get to shred infantry, so throw in a little barbed wire and you've got a no-man's-land!
Were it that simple...
Professor Ken
Officer

Postby IVhorseman » Sat May 30, 2009 11:59 am

Isn't that kindof exactly how implied minefields work too?
IVhorseman

Postby Almighty Benny » Sat May 30, 2009 6:10 pm

I dunno, Professor, I disagree

Maybe you want your enemies to know where your minefields are, but keep in mind that they can still easily see that you're setting them up for a trap.

IRL, the purpose of minefields and IEDs are to surprise your enemy. By keeping them secret, you might just catch a few enemies off guard or even be able to lure them right into the minefield. Then, once they're all like "screw this, we're going around", the next place they'll turn is right where you want them. This is the primary use of minefields in real life.

Also, implied minefields require only one piece, so players without a lot of gray pips can still place minefields pretty easily without worrying about covering a huge area with them.
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...
Almighty Benny
Galidor

Postby Danuis » Sat May 30, 2009 6:16 pm

I use Landmines. A nice grey shield with a grey or ared brick on top, hidden in bushes, The explosion is, to my rules which is d6 donimated (due to the cause that in NYC the only die is the gambling die), The Damage is 6 on the mine and 3 points of damage on the 8 squares around the Blast.
Danuis,hero,savoy!
TROLOLO
Danuis
Hero

Postby Cpt. Zipps » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:05 pm

So Pink Bycicle Launcher and I are going to have this big beachhead to commemorate D-Day and aince he is defending, he will have mines. Here's what I'm thinking, we will have all of the mines out on the field( circular 2x2's with rounded bottoms). whenever a unit comes within 2" of a mine, he has to roll a skill check to see if it goes off. if he rolls under 3 than he's clear and the mine is taken away but if he rolls 1 or 2 than it goes off and then is removed.

Any suggestions to make it better?

Things to keep in mind though:

There are roughly 20 mines to place.

This may or may not be on a baseplate.

Also, Do what do you think about anti-armor mines? just like the ones above but size 2 and only vehicles trigger them.
Cpt. Zipps
Playmobil

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:36 am

You may want to go with the implied minefields rather than individual mines if you're using tons of them.
IVhorseman

Postby pesgores » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Cpt. Zipps wrote:So Pink Bycicle Launcher and I are going to have this big beachhead to commemorate D-Day and aince he is defending, he will have mines. Here's what I'm thinking, we will have all of the mines out on the field( circular 2x2's with rounded bottoms). whenever a unit comes within 2" of a mine, he has to roll a skill check to see if it goes off. if he rolls under 3 than he's clear and the mine is taken away but if he rolls 1 or 2 than it goes off and then is removed.

Any suggestions to make it better?

Things to keep in mind though:

There are roughly 20 mines to place.

This may or may not be on a baseplate.

Also, Do what do you think about anti-armor mines? just like the ones above but size 2 and only vehicles trigger them.

Do post a report. Or at least some pictures.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby Cpt. Zipps » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:13 pm

I will post a report for sure but it might be a little while.
Cpt. Zipps
Playmobil

Next

Return to Bonus Material