BrikSpace

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

What would you like to see out of Brikspace?

Awesome not-too-complex space combat!
30%
Cool space combat with some tactics thrown in there.
46%
Make it more like Battefleet Gothic or something (pretty complex, but fun).
22%
I just wanna build the ships, man.
2%

Total votes: 46

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:44 pm

Plus it fits with the "one per team" rule, since, as Han Solo puts it, "don't worry, there are a lot of command ships."

On another note, what exactly counts as cargo space? The only thing you have so far are the missile and sensor packages, but do impact batteries and drones also take up space? Maybe shields should take up space as well?
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:55 pm

Cargo space, on top of missile and sensor packages, can house drones and fighters, and some other things. If I can get my hands on TBD and look into simplifying his boarding rules, maybe I'll put in something that gives boarding bonuses.

EDIT: Finished pointlessly expanding on the Ship Construction section. Also attempting to add in more missiles and drones, see if I can pose a little more variety on choices.

EDIT #2: Added in the Supernova missile, which disables sensor package bonuses for a short time. About to talk about different kinds of drones. Also officially changed the name of the Mothership to Flagship. Sounds more professional, and less like "The Day the Earth Stood Still" type stuff. We're coming along nicely! Also plan an expanding the rules on combat later today.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:07 pm

The rules look very cool so far and the combat sounds cool and brikwarsy especially with the "take off random parts for damage" part. Then again, with that rule now in place Structure Levels are a bit redundant, so you should probably remove that.

Also, I noticed that since the fighter has a max Cp limit of 3 their is no way to give a fighter missiles. Perhaps you could make a bomber class ship that has a lower agility rating but has a higher max Cp limit and access to a small cargo hold restricted to missiles?

Great job so far, keep up the good work!
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:09 pm

I like the bomber idea, I'll definitely put that in. But what was that about Structure, again? I'm not sure I understood you there.

Right, bombers added to ship class list. Purchased in bulk like Fighters, but do not have a max Cp limit, Instead, each Bomber can equip two missiles and nothing else. They're easily picked off by Fighters, so keep them well protected.
-=[ Visage ]=-

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:20 pm

The point of structure levels in a regular brikwar is to keep things simple since it makes sense that bigger things obviously have better armor and take longer to destroy than smaller things.

In the combat part of your rules, you basically said that anything that gets past the shields/armor is going to do damage and that a ship is destroyed when it looses all its attachments, which is basically an even simpler version of structure levels.

Therefore, you don't really need structure levels, since they don't seem to really do anything in the actual combat.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:28 pm

Except provide a ridiculous amount of extra armor for the larger ships. They get low agility, so they're easy to hit, but not to penetrate. You could potentially spend quite a while pouring fire into a Flagship and have it come out only minimally damaged. Plus, the larger ships have more attachments, so they're harder to kill anyway.

For instance: You have a ship with a small rocket attachment, firing on another person's Dreadnaught-class ship. The Dreadnaught has Heavy Armor, and Shielding. The Dreadnaught gets to add three things into it's armor roll: the Shields (+1d6), the Heavy Armor (+2d8) And it's Structure level (+4d10). So, unless they roll badly, those rockets aren't going to actually hurt jack squat.

Whereas without the Structure rules, that Dreadnaught loses 4d10 off of that roll, and is therefore WAY easier to hurt.
-=[ Visage ]=-

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:46 pm

Okay, got it. BTW is there a limit to the quantity of missiles a bomber can have or does it get infinite?

Also what are the accuracy ratings for all the different weapons?

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:50 pm

Each Bomber gets to choose two missiles. That's all they get for a game. I might make a rule that they get to refresh their missiles every time they dock with their base ship, but I'm not sure how ridiculously overpowered that could get :P

Also, haven't gotten around to Accuracy ratings yet, I was about to type that up. I think I'll do it by size category. Maybe, Small weapons are high accuracy, Medium are mid accuracy, large weapons are low accuracy, etc? I'm not sure if that'd work well.
-=[ Visage ]=-

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:04 pm

Sounds a lot like Rayhawk's +1 use for each extra inch of surface area rule, which makes even more since in this setting since that way you'd only be able to hit fighters and frigates with small or medium weapons and could use the big weapons to hit the destroyers and flagships.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:07 pm

So, is that a yes? lol. I like the idea, I'm just not sure how well it'd work rules-wise. I mean, is that really what we want? That seems too complex for in-game stuff. I'm trying to make it so that the construction of the fleet should be the msot complex part. The actual gameplay is a little laid back, with lots of awesome stuff happening, but with nothing ridiculously complex happening in the meantime.

Oh, well. Best way to find out is to play with it! I'm putting it in the rules now.

EDIT: Weapon Accuracy Ratings are up. Here's to hoping they work well.
Last edited by Olothontor on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=[ Visage ]=-

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:19 pm

I agree that we need to keep things simple, but we also need to keep it balanced too. How about

Small Weapons 3d6
Medium Weapons 2d6
Large Weapons 1d6
Massive Weapons 1d6

Since small weapons would be used mostly for dogfights, they will need to be able to hit other fighters with relative ease while medium weapons should be able to hit bombers and the occasional fighter and large and massive weapons should only hit large ships.

Even though it may sound complicated, its really no more confusing than any of the other brikwars rules and pretty easy to remember.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:21 pm

Oh. I just put up this:

Small: 4d6
Medium: 3d6
Large: 2d6
Colossal: 1d8

Does that work as well as yours? I think it should.

EDIT: Fixed missile damage ratings. I realized that an average missile would have a hard time destroying a fighter or bomber, and that just wouldn't fly.
-=[ Visage ]=-

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:57 pm

4d6 Damage? Awesome! Now you just need to beef up the lasers a bit (or just change the armor ratings from d10s to d6s).

Hey, does each individual missile count towards the max cost limit or just the package?

And what about the engines, do those count too or can we get those for free?

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:00 pm

Engines count towards your Max Ship Cp. Missiles only count towards your Missile Package space.

Hmm, d6's? I'll look into it.
-=[ Visage ]=-

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:04 pm

Got it, also, can you ram someone with the Galactic Warp Jump?