BrikSpace

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

What would you like to see out of Brikspace?

Awesome not-too-complex space combat!
30%
Cool space combat with some tactics thrown in there.
46%
Make it more like Battefleet Gothic or something (pretty complex, but fun).
22%
I just wanna build the ships, man.
2%

Total votes: 46

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:22 pm

Alright, that was an odd little Brikwars-free vacation. I'll try to avoid that in the future, it seems to throw everything off.

In terms of BrikSpace, where were we? I probably have a shit-ton to update, don't I?
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Post by Greenkey15 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:28 pm

Have you ever played Galactic Civilizations? If you haven't, I'll go ahead and explain the ship creation process.

You buy a hull for a ship. You then add some features to it, like weapons and armor. Then, you can add some engines to it. After that, you can buy the ship.

I'm thinking adapting that to BrikSpace may be a good idea. Instead of a big list of ship classes, you can create your own. Do away with the CP limitation, but every 10-20 cp of crap you add to the ship takes down it's move, and have a maximum item limit. Then assign a CP value to each of the hulls you can purchase. Large hulls cost more, but can add more stuff to them, which generally makes them slower. Also, they can only take a slow engine. Medium sized hulls can take an even balance of stuff and move at a so-so rate. Small hulls can't take much stuff, but that is balanced out that they can move at an insane rate. Fighters and stuff should stay the same, I like those rules. In fact, you can even incorporate a "hull size" thing not unlike the Special Creations of standard 2005 BrikWars, and it takes damage that doesn't necessarily destroy parts that you must keep track of, but and amount of hitpoints equal to the size of the hull you use.

Armor sizes could be the same, but large hulls can take heavy armor and lower, medium hulls can take medium armor and lower, and small hulls can only take small armor.

You don't need to worry about balancing classes carefully, since you can just make one and if it's too powerful, it's also way too expensive.

Sound like a good idea? The only reason I didn't elaborate more is that I want to see if you like the idea before spending several hours typing up my idea only for it to be shot down.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:58 am

Actually, it seems like the "hull" that you buy determines the ship size or class -- "Frigate hull", "fighter hull" "Cruiser hull" etc.

My own thoughts -- how about adding turning limits to the ships, so that smaller ships will be more agile? It wouldn't have to be complicated -- fighters have no limit, small warships can turn 90 degrees, big warships can turn 45 degrees, that sort of thing.

Oh, and in case you've forgotten, the Brikspace Ship/Fleet Contest ends TOMORROW. Which reminds me, I have a cruiser to photograph...

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:05 am

If you guys want some examples of good space wargames that you can learn from, I'd suggest checking out this guy's games.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:01 pm

I'd say the best space war game ever is Battlefleet Gothic. It requires only D6s (which neither Olothontor nor I can match) and the special orders are pretty cool. The downside, obviously, is that you can't customize your own ships.

Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Post by Greenkey15 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:31 pm

You could probably play Battlefleet Gothic with LEGO ships, too. I want to try that out some time.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:45 am

Since I've lost my only D10 (actually a D20 where I divide the result by 2) there's not much else that I can play right now. And building a Dark Eldar ship in LEGO would be an interesting challenge.

This is about as close as I've gotten.

Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok

Post by Cpt. Zipps » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:53 pm

I love Galactic Civilizations, it's the best 4X game ever!

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:55 pm

Turning angles would be a great idea, excpet for the fact that most people don't want to have to pull out a friggin' protractor to play their LEGO game.

It's a wonderful idea, but it seems like we'd be two of about five people on the forums who'd be willing to do that.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:03 pm

When the angles are only in 45 degree increments, they're pretty easy to just fudge. If it looks to be around 45 degrees, it probably is.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:46 pm

Hmmm. True.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Fulizer
Minifig

Post by Fulizer » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:11 am

if you opponent says otherwise either do a what-I-say-goes roll or hit them with the hammer of disipline. if you have to choose the second option then you should try and find someone else to play with.