BrikSpace

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

What would you like to see out of Brikspace?

Awesome not-too-complex space combat!
30%
Cool space combat with some tactics thrown in there.
46%
Make it more like Battefleet Gothic or something (pretty complex, but fun).
22%
I just wanna build the ships, man.
2%

Total votes : 46

Postby massacre » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:02 pm

Sorry, too late I, just decided to do the battle with out railguns altogether The Battle report coming soon as i find a good photo hosting site.
I'd just as soon stab you with a saudering iron, so please type something worth the 10 seconds it took to read. please.
TROLOLO
massacre
Champion

Postby Theblackdog » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:17 pm

Olothontor wrote:Ah, but a Railgun is a magnetically powered weapon, so ammunition makes loads of sense.

A little impractical, though, at least rules-wise. Railguns are hindered enough without giving them a certain number of shots. Although it WOULD give another practical use for a Freighter, as it could also carry Munitions Stores and be able to replenish just like it does with Missile Barges. So I suppose that kinda balances out. Go ahead and try it like that, massacre, and let me know how that works. We'll playtest them without ammo and see how that goes. Once we hear from multiple parties, we'll converge to discuss, and change whatever needs changing. They are terribly experimental at this point, but I'd hate to see them removed.

I would guess that a rail gun firing once per turn would probably not run out of ammo over the course of an average battle. 50 rounds of ammo sounds like a low end estimate for a ship-mounted rail gun, and few battles last that many turns, so there's really no point in tracking ammo.
However, in a multiple-battle campaign, you might make a rule saying that rail gun ships (and other ships with ammo dependent weapons that don't have limited ammo during a battle) need to reload at a freighter between battles. If the enemy hits too many of your freighters, then you would have to send some ships (whether they be missile, railgun, or some other type) into battle without ammo for their weapons.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Cpt. Zipps » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:48 pm

The engines are a little confuzling.
Cpt. Zipps
Playmobil

Postby benkim123 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:39 am

The railgun should have unlimited ammo but attack slowly. It takes one turn to prepare it the next turn it attacks.
benkim123
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Cpt. Zipps » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:28 pm

I just got into Brikspace and I have a few questions.

By " Bust off a chunk for damage " how much is a chunk? one piece? a few pieces? or is it one of the actuall accesories on the ship such as weapons and stuff.

Since frigates start with basic engines does that mean that they move 2" like the enginge says or do they move farther according to the confuzling engine-class thingy?

do the same rules for fighters apply to bombers and interceptors as well? do bombers have to start in a cargo bay?

do bombers get two kinds of missiles in unlimited amounts or just two missiles.

Lastly, could someone please explain what the railgun is all about. I don't get the "1 die, second die" thing.
Cpt. Zipps
Playmobil

Postby kidko » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:13 pm

Well, I can answer two of those questions.

First, bombers get two missiles. They can be one kind of missile, or two different kinds, but there will be exactly two missiles that the Bomber can fire. So, in a word, no, they're not given unlimited ammo.

As for the railgun... basically, here's how it breaks down:
  • It's useless closer than 2"
  • Between 2" and 6", you roll the second die (it's a lower damage because it takes time to accelerate... or something like that)
  • When shooting at anything farther than 6" away, use the first (larger) die.
kidko
Officer

Postby Cpt. Zipps » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:33 pm

I think that the engines could be a little simpler.
Cpt. Zipps
Playmobil

Postby halo 3000 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:40 pm

Engines, You know how the engine meant for a flagship would cause a frigate to go super fast? well that's what I aimed to accomplish. to achieve this you have a flagship engine go 12 in for a frigate and every class above that you subtract 1in. a flagship engine would cost more but it would go super fast for a frigate or whatever.
"My name is Art Vandelay. I'm an architect."~George Costanza
halo 3000
I though bringing it up might possibly get me one

Postby MasterEcabob » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:01 am

Cpt. Zipps wrote:I just got into Brikspace and I have a few questions.

By " Bust off a chunk for damage " how much is a chunk? one piece? a few pieces? or is it one of the actuall accesories on the ship such as weapons and stuff.

Since frigates start with basic engines does that mean that they move 2" like the enginge says or do they move farther according to the confuzling engine-class thingy?

do the same rules for fighters apply to bombers and interceptors as well? do bombers have to start in a cargo bay?

do bombers get two kinds of missiles in unlimited amounts or just two missiles.

Lastly, could someone please explain what the railgun is all about. I don't get the "1 die, second die" thing.

6. You take off one of the things you bought, which includes shields, guns, missile packages, and engines. Once everything is gone a ship is destroyed. Whether or not you actually remove any briks from the ship is up to you (as long as you cross off the dead part on a sheet of paper or something).

7. It sounds a lot more confusing than it really is. I think a chart would be helpful here... But as for your question, a frigate starts with a basic engine, which is 6" since a frigate is four classes below the Flagship (four classes + 2").

8. Yes, fighters/bombers/interceptors all play by the same rules. Also, just FYI, bombers only have a move of 4", fighters only have 1d6 armor, and interceptors have a 8" engine.

9. Olothontor got this already but yes, each bomber can hold a TOTAL of two missiles. As in one light and one shrapnel missile, one nebula and one supernova missile, two light missiles, etc.

10. This could use a table also... basically, it sounds like at 2" or less it doesn't work, at 2-6" it does 1d3+1 damage, and at 6" or farther it 1d6+2 (assuming this is a small one).

11. Lists should never go over ten. :studgod:
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!
MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Greenkey15 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:32 pm

Olothontor could use a table for each engine type for speeds. That would be a lot less confusing with less counting of ship types.
Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Postby Olothontor » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:58 pm

Good idea. Unfortunately, you'll have to throw that suggestion at kidko. I don't have the power to edit the PDF. That is kidko's burden to bear, as he has all of the files.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby Greenkey15 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:55 pm

Could you post a linky to the PDF on the first post? It's kind of hard to find being buried in 12 pages of random crap.
Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Postby Olothontor » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:08 pm

-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby MasterEcabob » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:02 pm

Great, now it will just be buried under 13 pages of random crap.

Try editing the first post with that link instead.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!
MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Olothontor » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:03 pm

It's the same link.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

PreviousNext

Return to Bonus Material