The 'Cool' Factor

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

The 'Cool' Factor

Postby Atomsk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:51 am

The other day I was at my buddies house, and we were messing around with his bricks, and I realized, his army just looks way less cool than mine. I'm not trying to be an egomaniac, but 20-year old blue Spacemen and Foresters are a little lackluster next to an army of custom Navy SEALS or robe-glad Templars. I was trying to go through the rulebook to find some way to get extra stats for looking awesome, but aside from turning everyone into a hero, I can't find anything.

How do you fellas deal with this? My instinc tells me that if I loose to an inferior-looking army, I just pull out the trump card and say "Yeah, but my guys look cooler..."
Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Postby Joetrillion » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:59 am

I can't really agree with 'the cooler they look the stronger'because some people who don't have a high budget to make there army 'look good'wont be good.Mine i suppose can be called 'cool'(a team of 20 SCI_FI super soldier's)(as Apposed to 20 town people getting there butts kicked just because they don't look 'militarish'(if thats a word) enough)
(but if there were both evenly matched teams with some non cool in each that'd be good.

That's just my opinion.

ps.yes i do rant on like Bonn-o-Tron.
TROLOLO
Joetrillion
Officer

Postby Foggy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:12 pm

Hmm...while the actual "coolness" is in the eye of the beholder, I believe that some sort of minor bonus should be permitted if the said coolness was mutually agreed on by the players.
"We're not here for story time people, lets talk about all the sexy violence!"
-Yahtzee
TROLOLO
Foggy
Officer

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:33 pm

Foggy wrote:Hmm...while the actual "coolness" is in the eye of the beholder, I believe that some sort of minor bonus should be permitted if the said coolness was mutually agreed on by the players.

how about this: if all players (or at least a large majority of them) agree that a minifig looks incredibly awesome, he may make one re-roll on any die that relates to him. this means that if he makes a critical fail for jumping onto a moving plane, the players can agree that since he looks so cool that he gets another chance to make it. he rolls a 6, and makes it.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Foggy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:16 pm

IVhorseman wrote:
Foggy wrote:Hmm...while the actual "coolness" is in the eye of the beholder, I believe that some sort of minor bonus should be permitted if the said coolness was mutually agreed on by the players.

how about this: if all players (or at least a large majority of them) agree that a minifig looks incredibly awesome, he may make one re-roll on any die that relates to him. this means that if he makes a critical fail for jumping onto a moving plane, the players can agree that since he looks so cool that he gets another chance to make it. he rolls a 6, and makes it.

Quick, easy, and Brikwarsy. I love it.
"We're not here for story time people, lets talk about all the sexy violence!"
-Yahtzee
TROLOLO
Foggy
Officer

Postby Pvt Expendable » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:31 pm

mmmmm,... dunno man don't think coolness is battle factor
Pvt Expendable
Dimmy

Postby Atomsk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:01 pm

Generally in my experience, the cooler something is, the more weapons it has on it, so I guess that it works out in the end unless you pay an arm and a leg in point values. I've never put much effort into army balancing, so it hasn't come back to haunt me yet.
Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Postby Rayhawk » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:01 am

In olden times (that is to say, previous editions) cooler-looking constructions got minor stat bonuses. But in my book, any 20-year old figs are "classic" and therefore have instant coolness of their own.
Rayhawk
Overlord

Postby piltogg » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:45 pm

especialy if they are old but slightly differnet than they where in the sets like black falcon space marines calvary still with black falcon logos
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Gladius » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:06 am

Peglegs. Awesomeness bonus +135.

I use coolness factor when I don't know what else to do. The pirates win most of the time.
TROLOLO
Gladius
Champion

Postby Almighty Benny » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:44 pm

adding minifigs heads with sunglasses, stubble, or patch-eyes always boosts the coolness factor in my book. Also shoulder pads and epaulets can make any minifig look cool.
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...
Almighty Benny
Galidor

Postby Joetrillion » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:50 pm

Ah ha my sigfig's cool in your book then hes in my (blurred)avatar
spark's from rockraider's face and brown eppaulette's
TROLOLO
Joetrillion
Officer

Postby Tiny Tank Rannon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:32 pm

I dunno, Coolness can't really be factored, because everybody thinks different things are cool.
Tiny Tank Rannon
Cannon Fodder

Postby Rody » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:39 pm

Still, there are things that everyone thinks is cool
and things that everyone find lame.
and those that don't think that to be true and have different opinions need some reeducation, cuz they're wrong.

(This does not count for everything, food is excluded in this. opinions about who looks hot etc. are pretty much gender/preference based and thus will not follow above rule. any harm that follow from said reeducation is entiraly your fault I have nothing to do with it.)
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Rody
My Little Pony

Postby feuer_faust » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:28 pm

I thought the whole way heroes are picked is due to coolness? Therefore, coolness plays a part in Brikwars. :)

That said, ya don't want to some off as a jerk unintentionally. Just roll with it.
It's a secret to everybody.
feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Next

Return to Bonus Material