Spell-based Magicks

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Spell-based Magicks

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:40 pm

My gateway drug into brikwars was a Games Workshop game called Mordheim; this game--like Warhammer it was styled after--has a relatively simple "spell-based" magic system where casters take individual spells that they can attempt to use in various magic phases.

Mostly for the enjoyment of my friends (who play brikwars but are also Games Workshop players), I've been attempting a similar feat for brikwars. Below, I have a list of "spells" that are based pretty exclusively on Mordheim equivalents.

I could use some input from the community on how to "cost" this sort of magic system. My initial idea is that a minifig purchases "casting dice" (maybe 5 or 6 cp a pop for 1 d6). This casting pool is treated like skill for casting spells, and one spell may be chosen for the minifig for every d6 in the casting pool.

Here are sample spells:

UR 4 Spells
• Heal Spell: Range – 2” / Effect – revive one non-heroic minifig (may not attack this turn) or heal one minifig ally to full hp. This spell may be used on “living” MOC’s may be healed at +2 UR per +1” taller than a minifig.
• Token Reanimate Spell: Range – 6” / Effect – revive one non-heroic minifig who died 1 turn (or less) ago; place that minifig within 2” of the caster.

UR 5 Spells
• Personal Dispel Shield: Range – self / Effect – caster is immune to all spells until the beginning of your next turn; this spell may be sustained from turn-to-turn at UR 3.
• Lucky Spell: Range – self / Effect – caster may reroll all failed dice rolls (second result stands) until the beginning of your next turn.
• Hideous Spell: Range – self / Effect – caster increases the difficulty for other figs to attack him/her by +4 UR until the beginning of your next turn.
• Stun Spell: Range – 6” / Effect – one target becomes dazed (is disrupted, defenseless, and must take an action to recover). +1 UR for every additional inch of target size.
• Vermin Spell: Range – 2” / Effect – summon 1d3 (1d4 skill / 3” move / 0 armor / Bite attack – Use 3, 1d4 damage) vermin to the battlefield.
• Curse Spell: Range – 12” / Effect – target must re-roll all successful attacks and armor saves until the beginning of your next turn.

UR 6 Spells
• Magic Hammer Spell: Range – self / Effect – caster gains a magic hammer (Use 2; Range CC; 2d6 damage; 2x damage vs structures; one-handed); hammer disappears at the beginning of your next turn.
• Fireball Spell: Range – 12” / Effect – caster throws a 1d10 [elemental]-ball.
• Teleport Spell: Range – self / Effect – caster may move anywhere up to 10” away.
• Fear-projection Spell: Range – 12” / Effect – target must make a UR 4 skill check; if failed, target must flee 2d6.”
• Magic Bolts Spell: Range – 6” / Effect – caster summons for him/her-self 1d6+1 magic arrows; all arrows may be fired this turn (costs an Action) and have the following stats (Use 4, 1d6 damage).
• Mass Fury Spell: Range 6” / Effect – all friendly units gain +2 damage this turn; effect does not stack with other spells and/or auras.
• Mass Quicken Spell: Range 6” / Effect – all friendly units gain +2” move this turn; effect does not stack with other spells and/or auras.
• Radiating Damage Spell: Range 4” / Effect – all units in the radius take 1d6 damage; ignores extra armor.
• Acid/Infection Spell: Range 6” / Effect – target takes 4d4 damage

UR 7 Spells
• Aura of Courage Spell: Range – 6” / Effect – caster creates on him/her-self an aura of courage; friendly units within the radius are immune to fear, fleeing, and gang-up penalties. Aura lasts until caster is slain or dazed; effects do not stack with other spells and/or auras.
• Magic Sword Spell: Range – self / Effect – caster gains a magic sword (Use 2, 2d6 damage, one-handed) that grants him/her a second attack action; sword disappears at the beginning of your next turn.
• Ring of Grasping Undead Spell: Range – 12” / Effect – all MOCs within a 2” radius roll 1d10 vs armor; minifigs who fail the armor save lose 1d4 limbs (rather than “dying” as normal).
• Sacrificial Blast Spell: Range – 6” / Effect – target takes 5d6 damage; after casting, caster loses 1d4 limbs.
• Personal Fury Spell: Range – self / Effect – caster may immediately make a charge attack (regardless of pointy-ness) up to 12”; caster may attack twice on this charge (applying MOM to both attacks). Do not apply knockback until after resolving both attacks.
• Mass Fear Spell: Range – 2” / Effect – all enemies in the radius must make a Use 4 skill check; enemies who fail must flee 2d6”.

UR 8 Spells
• Holy/Unholy Radiation Spell: Range – 6” / Effect – radiates outward to do 1d6+1 damage to all enemies; against living/undead units, damage is increased to 2d6.
• Holy/Unholy Armor Spell: Range – self / Effect – caster gainst +1d6 armor and increases difficulty to hit him/her by +4 UR; armor lasts until the beginning of your next turn.
• Temptation/Mind Control Spell: Range 12” / Effect – caster and target roll skill; if the caster wins, gain control of the target for the rest of the battle. +1 UR for every 2” tall the target is.
• Concentrated [element] Spell: Range – 6” / Effect – 2d10 [elemental] damage.

UR 9 Spells
• Uber Drain Spell: Range – 12” / Effect - living target loses 1 hp/structure point (no saves allowed); caster gains 1 hp/structure point, even if that puts him/her over the max.

Ideas to help me streamline the system?

~Rev.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

IX_Legion
Minifig

Re: Spell-based Magicks

Post by IX_Legion » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:33 pm

You realize with 1d6 skill a UR of 6 and 7 are exactly the same, because if you make a 6, you're guaranteed at least a 1 on the onus die, right?
This should be in the Rulebook somewhere:

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"
-Valkyrie (the movie)

sjosten
Minifig

Post by sjosten » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:25 pm

A bit late to the party IX_Legion? But no, you're right. That's why I usually forgo casting dice and stuff like that and make you buy the spells instead.
Han Solo wrote: Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid.

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:15 pm

Maybe have each designated "caster" start out with 1D6 "magic points" each turn, and as apposed to use, those spells are filed under how many points they take.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:58 am

IX_Legion wrote:You realize with 1d6 skill a UR of 6 and 7 are exactly the same, because if you make a 6, you're guaranteed at least a 1 on the onus die, right?
But if your more badass units with different skill dice use em, the difference arises.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:59 pm

And let's not forget skill modifiers.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:19 am

I've been waiting for someone to do this and now I can't wait to try them out. @Rev. Sylvanus; I'd be willing to playtest these and create new ones.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:23 am

Really? I prefer the open-endedness of the other supernatural rules, but i guess it's true that they're currently a bit abusable (only two dice and 11cp for a 1d12dmg attack with 1d6" range). I prefer to make up some bullshit spell off the top of my head than searching through a printed list of spells, but I haven't tried it so I can't really knock it. Most of these spells are doable with the supernatural dice system, but not all - that personal fury spell is awesome but supernatural dice wouldn't let you preserve the MOM on both attacks. Brikwars vanilla also doesn't use a hitpoints system on heroes or anything, so that uber-drain spell wouldn't translate either.

Ben, do a big-ol magic battle and tell us how it goes!

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:33 am

IX_Legion wrote:You realize with 1d6 skill a UR of 6 and 7 are exactly the same, because if you make a 6, you're guaranteed at least a 1 on the onus die, right?

The Onus Die, its on YOU!

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:42 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Really? I prefer the open-endedness of the other supernatural rules, but i guess it's true that they're currently a bit abusable (only two dice and 11cp for a 1d12dmg attack with 1d6" range). I prefer to make up some bullshit spell off the top of my head than searching through a printed list of spells, but I haven't tried it so I can't really knock it. Most of these spells are doable with the supernatural dice system, but not all - that personal fury spell is awesome but supernatural dice wouldn't let you preserve the MOM on both attacks. Brikwars vanilla also doesn't use a hitpoints system on heroes or anything, so that uber-drain spell wouldn't translate either.

Ben, do a big-ol magic battle and tell us how it goes!
I do like the versatility of the Supernatural dice rules; I've used it a lot. However, I've found that it can be difficult and expensive to create/use an effective spell (for example, a spell that did 2d6 damage and a good 2d6 range would cost you 4d6 total). Having pre-made spells with pre-established ranges is helpful to me.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:10 pm

2d6dam over 2d6" is still better than just about any minifig weapon available - it's expensive and unpredictable for a reason.

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:39 pm

IVhorseman wrote:2d6dam over 2d6" is still better than just about any minifig weapon available - it's expensive and unpredictable for a reason.
Yeah, but its a lot less likely that you'll land a kill with 1d6, or hit something at a fair distance with 1d6" range. Still, I understand that this adds to the feeling of achievement that you get when your minifigs land that lucky 5 or 6 and kill their opponent, but I prefer doing lots of damage so as to wipe out my enemies quickly.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Then don't use 1d6?

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:42 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Really? I prefer the open-endedness of the other supernatural rules, but i guess it's true that they're currently a bit abusable (only two dice and 11cp for a 1d12dmg attack with 1d6" range).
Is that OP do you think? It sounds pretty unreliable to me for something costing 11cp, especially considering the 25% chance one or both dice will fumble and be used against you.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:52 pm

Or just give casters 1D10 skill and call it good.