Exotic Defenses

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Exotic Defenses

Post by Natalya » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:39 am

There are many types of weapons in the BrikVerse, which means that normal armour won't always cut it. If your tank just has metal plating, well armour-piercing rounds can bust through that without a problem. You need some special defenses to protect your vehicle. Here I'm going to talk about some types of defenses you might use to protect your vehicles or buildings against certain kinds of attacks.

Magnetic Shielding:

A magnetic field projector can be used to defend against metallic projectiles, plasma weapons, and certain types of particle beams. It projects a magnetic field around your creation that slows down incoming projectiles.

Components are a control computer and a magnetic field projector. CP cost would be based on how strong the projector is, plus a base cost for giving it a half-mind for the computer to automatically target incoming projectiles.
Level one would be that you get to apply a -1dmg modifier against incoming attacks from things that would be affected by a magnetic field.

Reflective Armour:
Cover your creation in polished chrome and it can partially reflect attacks by laser weapons. Eventually lasers will overheat the armour and melt through, but their effectiveness will be diminished.
This applies a -2dmg modifier against laser attacks.

Ceramic Plating:
Ceramics are very strong and heat-resistant. They also do not conduct electricity. Therefore, this kind of armour would resist damage from plasma, electric, and incendiary weapons with a -2 damage modifier.

▲ Triangular Hex Armour:
Triangular Hex Armour is a good protection against the supernatural. It also scares dimmies and Jaw-Jaws. -2dmg against magical attacks or attacks by supernatural beings such as BrikThulu spawns. Additionally, any dimmies or Dungan Jaw-Jaws within 10" suffer a -1 skill penalty.

Force-Fields:
These can stop most attacks, but would not work against lasers, magic, or some kinds of quantum weapons like singularity projectors or space-time disruptors. Like the magnetic field projector you would need controls to operate it.

Lead Plating:
Lead would be useful against particle beams or radiation cannons. Its density means that most radiation can not penetrate it. -2dmg for Alpha and Beta particle beams, along with radiation weapons like super X-rays or gamma ray guns.

These are just some ideas. It might be better to just use this as inspiration for "What I Say Goes" rolls when dealing with a creation whose armour might be more effective against a certain kind of attack.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Re: Exotic Defenses

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:11 pm

Awesome! I think most of these are geared towards pretty circumstantial instances, so you might be able to get away with better defenses than these. You could try bumping the mods to -2 and -1d6 in lieu of -1 and -2 respectively.

The magic shielding looks especially versatile, but how often do brikwars battles involve radiation? Why don't we irradiate shit more often?

muffinman42
Dimmy

Post by muffinman42 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:18 pm

My thoughts:
Maybe remove some mobility from creations using lead plating, So they go slower due to the heavy armour.

Ceramics should shatter when hit, spraying sharp shrapnel around (useful for taking infantry with you!)

Force fields could reflect more things But have a high chance to explode when over loaded.

I've been meaning to write up some proper mini-scale rules for a while now so might include armour and weapon types, seems like a nice way to give character to armies.
Kerbal Rocketry(my youtube with actual videos on it!)

Muffinman aka. second account of Tahthing. Not technically troll account, as it was made out of shame.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:36 pm

muffinman42 wrote:Ceramics should shatter when hit, spraying sharp shrapnel around (useful for taking infantry with you!)
You can totally just make ceramic armor totally sweet vs. everything for an additional 1d6 armor, but the first time it's overcome it shatters and is useless (well, excepting the 1d10 explosion of shards it ejects.)

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:08 am

IVhorseman wrote:
muffinman42 wrote:Ceramics should shatter when hit, spraying sharp shrapnel around (useful for taking infantry with you!)
You can totally just make ceramic armor totally sweet vs. everything for an additional 1d6 armor, but the first time it's overcome it shatters and is useless (well, excepting the 1d10 explosion of shards it ejects.)
...Then what does Reactive Armor do?

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:10 am

muffinman42 wrote:My thoughts:
Maybe remove some mobility from creations using lead plating, So they go slower due to the heavy armour.

Ceramics should shatter when hit, spraying sharp shrapnel around (useful for taking infantry with you!)

Force fields could reflect more things But have a high chance to explode when over loaded.

I've been meaning to write up some proper mini-scale rules for a while now so might include armour and weapon types, seems like a nice way to give character to armies.
A force field could block like physical projectiles and alpha or beta particle beams but like a gravity warping gun or whatever would not be able to be affected by the force field.
  ▲
▲ ▲

muffinman42
Dimmy

Post by muffinman42 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:04 pm

Or a better distinction could be massive and mass-less particles. So ones with mass are blocked but those without aren't. This makes a force field fully transparent (photon are mass-less) BUT this also means they provide no protection from lasers, which are quite a popular weapon.
Also no reflective armour+force field, as the smooth sheeting interacts with the force field and overloads the reactor, resulting in a large boom. (because anti-everything_but_lasers + anti_lasers is OP).

Gravity weapons seem odd to me, and no armour can stop them. Otherwise you could make a floating platform out that armour!

Muffinman aka. second account of Tahthing. Not technically troll account, as it was made out of shame.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:13 am

Maybe like a warp-bubble could protect against gravity projection weapons. But that sort of stuff would only be used by super powerful armies.
  ▲
▲ ▲

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:42 pm

I like these, but they are very specific, which means sure, it can stop a radiation blast, but it won't stop an old-fashioned bullet.

muffinman42
Dimmy

Post by muffinman42 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:00 pm

It's like weapons, Everyone could just use bullets. But we don't, so lets have something to counter that!

Plate armour could protect for 1d6
But Forcefields of the same cost could protect for 2d6, but be permeable to lasers.
This would be interesting when armies geared for certain weapons encounter their weakness, as the Light Laser Brigade rip apart the Hover Tank Legion due to Force-Field and Thin armour combo.

Doubling up would be wise.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:12 pm

I guess like you would have your traditional Structure Level determine the armour roll, but then you could give the armour an attribute like saying it is ceramic, lead, or reflective and that attribute would impart its respective modifier onto the base armour roll. Force fields or other field projector defenses would be their own field that is its own thing in addition to the regular armour, so like a projectile would have to break through the field before it hits the actual creation.
  ▲
▲ ▲

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:59 pm

Would attacks from within the field then ignore the force-field's armor? Otherwise, force fields are the only things that resist good ol' melee attacks. I guess the hex armor would still dampen anything involving supernatural dice. Would magnetic shielding slow down a melee attack made with an iron weapon?

Ceramics should defend against lasers as well: currently plasma and bullets (the two other common ranged attacks) are resisted by two types of armor each, but lasers only ger repelled by the reflective shit. Electric and Incendiary attacks are less common, but I would also extend those modifiers to any burning rolls (meaning less likely to ignite), as well as disallowing electric damage to arc from a ceramic target (see my rules for electric guns in the Plastik Armory thread for details on my electric guns).

Reflective shielding + force fields could still be dealt with by magic and quantum weapons, but I agree that there needs to be some kind of counter to that. Maybe melee attacks ignoring force fields would be good enough.

How much do force fields protect for, anyways? Personally, I prefer the current iterations of energy shields for anything coming out of a field projector for now. Specialized shielding could fulfill the same role as magnetic shielding, plus you could have it protect against different damage types. I really like this idea about armor attributes though.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:04 pm

Whiteagle wrote:
IVhorseman wrote:
...Then what does Reactive Armor do?
Replace Armor with Skill rolls, I'd imagine.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:23 am

IVhorseman wrote:Would attacks from within the field then ignore the force-field's armor?
Yes, think of it as an incredibly thin but incredibly strong wall. It only affects stuff that hits it, like it occupies a certain pre-defined physical space.
  ▲
▲ ▲

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:32 pm

So how far does that field project out? an inch? two?

Can minifigs walk straight through it?