The Lego Movie

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Re: The Lego Movie

Postby IVhorseman » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:09 pm

Tzan wrote:
IVhorseman wrote:The whole week? What the christ? That's highly unusual... snow closures?

Not for snow, its every year.
I don't know if its every state, or just MA.
http://www3.newton.k12.ma.us/calendars

I just didn't realize it was this week, since they wont let me have kids... anymore. :pedo:

February vacation? Looks like you guys take President's day seriously.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Ham701 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:48 pm

New York schools have february break too.

I suspect it is some sort of conspiracy between the state and the skiing industry or something. The trade off is (normally) only one week off in December
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.

Ham701
Galidor

Postby Tzan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:16 pm

http://www3.newton.k12.ma.us/calendars

Check back to dec and jan.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Natalya » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:14 pm

stubby wrote:

A lot of people forget what Lego and the Lego community was like back in the late nineties and early 2000s, but everything was super-regimented and theme-specific, and as an AFOL you were allowed to be either Castle OR Space but never both. Lego as a company was in a kind of super brand-protection mode, putting the kibosh on anything that didn't meet strict brand and IP standards, and generally being dicks to anybody who had ideas that didn't line up with theirs. And so I was pretty pissed off about it for a decade or so, and BrikWars was my way of firing shots across the bow and just selling the hell out of this idea that nobody can tell me how to play with my Lego and I can make whatever stories and mashup whichever genres that I want.

So would something like the LEGO Movie exist without what I did to the Lego experience? Maybe. That's how kids have always played with Lego, whether or not adults want to admit it or approve of it or invest sixty million dollars into building IP around it.

I wasn't an AFOL at the turn of the century, I was like, 12, but I saw the rigidity you're talking about. Remember LUGNet? Man. Everyone in there was so boring. I mean AFOLs do generate lots of cool stuff, and there are some greats in the space community who inspired the things I've built... Mark Sandlin and Dan Jassim instantly come to mind because the way they showcased their stuff is how I learned to showcase my stuff for example, but there were all sorts of rules and shit that even later as a teenager I still hadn't learned and I kept running into them. Like super snobby websites like classic-space.com had neat Lego creations on them but their stuffy elitist atmosphere made Lego not fun. Fortunately I was a huge loser at the end of high school so I stuck with Lego through it all, but back in the day it was either get laughed at by super pro builders or go look at diarrhoea MOCs that average 12-year-olds make which understandably just aren't well-executed. I like BrikWars though because it let me see the potential that comes from younger minds. Maybe something looks like poop, but you know things I built when I was 10 were shit too but somehow I still had fun with them, didn't I? Damn right I did, some of the best moments of my life were playing Lego with my cousins and my brother when I was like 11.

There's value in the things that kids build, and there's value in the stuff that AFOLs come up with, but each also have their drawbacks, so I like this place for exploring awesome combinations of both.

I think Lego's natural instinct is always going to be to try to make something like Galidor.

What the actual fuck were they trying to do with that shit? Then again, who knows what a good theme might end up being anyway?
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.

Postby Theblackdog » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Natalya wrote:I wasn't an AFOL at the turn of the century, I was like, 12, but I saw the rigidity you're talking about. Remember LUGNet? Man. Everyone in there was so boring. I mean AFOLs do generate lots of cool stuff, and there are some greats in the space community who inspired the things I've built... Mark Sandlin and Dan Jassim instantly come to mind because the way they showcased their stuff is how I learned to showcase my stuff for example, but there were all sorts of rules and shit that even later as a teenager I still hadn't learned and I kept running into them. Like super snobby websites like classic-space.com had neat Lego creations on them but their stuffy elitist atmosphere made Lego not fun. Fortunately I was a huge loser at the end of high school so I stuck with Lego through it all, but back in the day it was either get laughed at by super pro builders or go look at diarrhoea MOCs that average 12-year-olds make which understandably just aren't well-executed. I like BrikWars though because it let me see the potential that comes from younger minds. Maybe something looks like poop, but you know things I built when I was 10 were shit too but somehow I still had fun with them, didn't I? Damn right I did, some of the best moments of my life were playing Lego with my cousins and my brother when I was like 11.

There's value in the things that kids build, and there's value in the stuff that AFOLs come up with, but each also have their drawbacks, so I like this place for exploring awesome combinations of both.

Oh my god this. Classic-space didn't bother with giving you advice unless you already built like a pro, and MOCpages... heh. Were you ever there, Natalya? I remember Sigfig was. The flame wars, the cults of personality, and 50% of the new creations posted each day were HALO players slapping wings on a rainbow box and calling it a Pelican. (And yeah, I was guilty of all of those things too. Not my proudest four years, really.) About the only good thing that came out of there was my idea for the T.L.A., because a bunch of people made three-letter-acronym factions and took them disturbingly seriously.
This forum's building scene is awesome because most people genuinely don't care how well you can build. Creations get treated with the same level of respect whether they're :boxy: :j+b:s or professional-grade custom figs and photorealistic vehicles, and people don't give LDD creations shit the way they do everywhere else. As a result I've seen many builders here go from "slapping bricks together so they can get on with the fighting" to a skill level that's more in line with Classic-Space. And it's been a real education for me too, seeing how much more important creativity is compared to skill.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Battlegrinder » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:43 pm

Theblackdog wrote:50% of the new creations posted each day were HALO players slapping wings on a rainbow box and calling it a Pelican. (And yeah, I was guilty of all of those things too. Not my proudest four years, really.)

I've done that too. The worst part is I still have mine, but I'm eventually going to rebuild it into something nifty.

Theblackdog wrote:This forum's building scene is awesome because most people genuinely don't care how well you can build. Creations get treated with the same level of respect whether they're :boxy: :j+b:s or professional-grade custom figs and photorealistic vehicles, and people don't give LDD creations shit the way they do everywhere else. As a result I've seen many builders here go from "slapping bricks together so they can get on with the fighting" to a skill level that's more in line with Classic-Space. And it's been a real education for me too, seeing how much more important creativity is compared to skill.

:tiger:

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby Tzan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:59 pm

Yesterday was beautiful and sunny.
The birds were singing and the clouds were puffy.
Morgan Freeman narrated my drive to the movie theater.
He made sure I hit mostly green lights on the way.
Morgan Freeman then narrated some shit preview about lemurs.
Fuck lemurs.
Then Morgan Freeman did the voice for some blind guy.
Thank Morgan Freeman for Morgan Freeman.

Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Whiteagle » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:29 pm

stubby wrote:People lining up for we're-not-worthy parades and offering blowjobs is the dream of every psychologically normal high school dude.

Ah, that explains it then...

The Shadowscythe wrote:I have heard rumours through the mill of an already planned movie.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STUBBEH.

FIND YOUR SOURCES, BRIBE THEM, COERCE THEM, FUCK THEM IF YOU HAVE TOO - MEN AND ALL.

MAKE ALL THE SEQUELS THAT WILL BE PLANNED FOR ALL TIME AS AWESOME AS THE FIRST ONE AND NOT DIRECT TO DVD BULLSHITE.

As you can tell, I am more than a little bit passionate about this development.

Indeed, I will write them a script for free!
It will probably be crap and take 10 years to finish, but I WILL DO IT FOR FREE!!!

The Shadowscythe wrote:A short while ago you where questioning if you took the right path (hint - all lego is the right path) but now you have a chance to "Rayhawk" the next film.

Go off sick at your office, stick a lifesize cardboard cutout of yourself in your chair with a note reading "OFF SICK WITH EXPLOSIVE FLOMBOSSIS, SUCK OFF ARTIFICIAL WANG AS APPROPRIATE" and leave a 12 inch black ribbed wibbler in between the legs of your cardboard self.

Now, with all the confidence I know you have from your cult of personality (and generally how awesome your shizz is) and swagger - don't just walk, swagger into the lego movie sequel production offices as if you have always worked there and then rule the shit out of that place, pimp slap your enemies with your chainmail fist and skull fuck the rest - "Rayhawk" the goddamn shit out of that sequel.

And if anyone asks, I sent you - that should solve all problems.

I could also walk over with some shovels...

Tzan wrote:Yesterday was beautiful and sunny.
The birds were singing and the clouds were puffy.
Morgan Freeman narrated my drive to the movie theater.
He made sure I hit mostly green lights on the way.
Morgan Freeman then narrated some shit preview about lemurs.
Fuck lemurs.
Then Morgan Freeman did the voice for some blind guy.
Thank Morgan Freeman for Morgan Freeman.

Spoiler: show
OOOoooooOOOOOhhhhhh~!
Whiteagle
Mega Blok

Postby stubby » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:15 pm

Whiteagle wrote:
The Shadowscythe wrote:MAKE ALL THE SEQUELS THAT WILL BE PLANNED FOR ALL TIME AS AWESOME AS THE FIRST ONE AND NOT DIRECT TO DVD BULLSHITE.

Indeed, I will write them a script for free!
It will probably be crap and take 10 years to finish, but I WILL DO IT FOR FREE!!!

Wait, you read the part where they're already making the sequel and our worry is how to make it not crap, right? Offering to make it crap is not an effective solution to how not to make it crap.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby The Shadowscythe » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:21 pm

Yet again Widebeagle prooves to us he is not the failure we want, but apparently the failure we all deserve . . .

-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.
The Shadowscythe
The Brikwars Trickster God.

Postby Whiteagle » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:50 pm

stubby wrote:
Whiteagle wrote:It will probably be crap and take 10 years to finish, but I WILL DO IT FOR FREE!!!

Wait, you read the part where they're already making the sequel and our worry is how to make it not crap, right? Offering to make it crap is not an effective solution to how not to make it crap.

The Shadowscythe wrote:Yet again Widebeagle prooves to us he is not the failure we want, but apparently the failure we all deserve . . .

Let me put it this way, would you rather they spend millions of dollors on a script from crap writers, or got a script from a crap writer for Free?
Whiteagle
Mega Blok

Postby Silverdream » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:55 pm

I would rather have no sequel at all.

mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Natalya » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:04 pm

This one time Predator was a perfect movie.

Then they ruined it with millions of sequels.

Let's try to avoid The Lego Movie having the same shit happen to it.
  ▲
▲ ▲

Natalya

Postby Natalya » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:12 pm

Theblackdog wrote:
Natalya wrote:Lots of words here...

Oh my god this. Classic-space didn't bother with giving you advice unless you already built like a pro, and MOCpages... heh. Were you ever there, Natalya? I remember Sigfig was. The flame wars, the cults of personality, and 50% of the new creations posted each day were HALO players slapping wings on a rainbow box and calling it a Pelican. (And yeah, I was guilty of all of those things too. Not my proudest four years, really.) About the only good thing that came out of there was my idea for the T.L.A., because a bunch of people made three-letter-acronym factions and took them disturbingly seriously.
This forum's building scene is awesome because most people genuinely don't care how well you can build. Creations get treated with the same level of respect whether they're :boxy: :j+b:s or professional-grade custom figs and photorealistic vehicles, and people don't give LDD creations shit the way they do everywhere else. As a result I've seen many builders here go from "slapping bricks together so they can get on with the fighting" to a skill level that's more in line with Classic-Space. And it's been a real education for me too, seeing how much more important creativity is compared to skill.

I saw MOC Pages and I didn't stick around because of how shit it was. I had like the choice of hanging out (online) with people who were way above me or people who were way below me. I guess at the time there was a sort of age-and-experience ghetto for people who were my age but better with Lego than other people my age but not as good as actual adults. Like a lot of kids don't seriously Lego, they just yell "MASTUR CHEEF" at eachother and go "BOOM BOOM BOOM" and stuff. I, on the other hand, was like going through Brickshelf trying to find the coolest stuff and re-create it. I was too young (and not-having-income) to make anything as good as what I saw unless I copied it piece for piece, but I sure did try, and what my brother and I did come up with would be the basis for much of the stuff that I've posted here.
  ▲
▲ ▲

Natalya

Postby stubby » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:21 pm

Whiteagle wrote:Let me put it this way, would you rather they spend millions of dollors on a script from crap writers, or got a script from a crap writer for Free?

Silverdream wrote:I would rather have no sequel at all.

Yep. I don't know how good or bad the writers they've got lined up are, but I'd rather be satisfied with nothing at all than have to suffer a "crappy stuff for free" option. Whether we're talking about scripts or anything else.
stubby
forum janitor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion