The Lego Movie

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Re: The Lego Movie

Postby Arkbrik » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:26 am

Finally got this movie to Sweden. I had very high expectations, and it more than lived up to them. Constantly funny and still a touching story.

morganm wrote:Plus it's really the epitome of Brikwars. So many times while watching I was thinking "that's so fucking Brikwars!" I wanted to stand up and shout "THIS IS BRIK WAAAARRRRZ" :fist:

Oh yeah.

Spoiler: show
"Yay, we saved the world! Now we can live in peace and harmo - "

FUCK YOU

WE ARE HERE FROM PLANET DUPLON

THIS IS BRIKWARS
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby Silverdream » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:15 am

stubby wrote:
samuelzz10 wrote:Do people in the graphic design field randomly gravitate towards each other and create an awesome creative hive-mind mesh?

Yes. This is true in any specialized field; everybody knows everybody. So whatever field you happen to be in, think twice before pissing off other people in your network.

Should I be worried if I haven't made any friends in the field I'm going into?

mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Timedude » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:28 am

stubby wrote:Not super directly. Animal Logic would call sometimes while I was still on Lego Universe, and we talked about different ways to do Lego concepting and scene composition and that kind of stuff, but nothing serious enough that I'd bill them for it or anything. And I've been friends for a decade or more with a lot of people who ended up being involved with the film production, both from the Lego corporate and AFOL side, so there was some secondhand influence for sure. They were looking at my stuff for inspiration at different times during development, but I don't know how much.

There aren't any ideas in there that were specifically mine, if that's what you're asking.

Just wondered. Saw some concepts that crept into both the movie and Brikwars. Spoilered just in case though this is about the first 30 minutes of the film.
Like the octopus piece showing up the instructions about "weird artifacts" or whatever, and the minifig's perception of humans for example. Also (this is more of a spoiler)the weird names for all the human artifacts.
It was also cool to see pretty much everyone uses some sort of variant of that minigun design the policebots were using. There were just lots of little details which made me feel like there was a little bit of idea creep from Brikwars -> The Lego Movie. Which just made it all the cooler! Or maybe we aren't that original and all Lego people have similar ideas. I dunno, but it really worked for me! :omnom:

Man that ending hit me right in the feels though. Can't wait for it to come out on DVD so I can get a better look at the "map of the realms" President Business had up briefly in one scene.
-TheSnackist
AKA Timedude
AKA Your New Benefecent Ruler (Lesser Games Division)
stubby wrote:What the hell! Timedude is here??

:? Well all I can say is,
8) it's about . . . time . . .
:csi:
Timedude
Cannon Fodder

Postby Kalvinator » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:48 pm

Saw it again on Thursday and didn't get up once for anything. Loved it again, realized Benny was voiced by Charlie form ASiP, (also is Benny a reference to here for sure?), and I went with a bigger group this time.
Kalvinator
in need of one still

Postby stubby » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:43 pm

Silverdream wrote:Should I be worried if I haven't made any friends in the field I'm going into?

Yes. Even if you're just going into the field of working at Burger King, getting jobs, getting promotions, getting ahead in general is always dependent on your networking ability.

Ten years ago I was working with a guy in Lego Concept Lab, basically doing the same kinds of stuff. The difference between us is that he's super likeable and I'm a grouchy jerk. Ten years later, he's splitting time between being in charge of playtheme development and being the executive producer on the Lego Movie, and I'm still doing grunt-level illustration work. I mean I haven't done badly or anything, but there's a definite difference in the career path for people who work well within the system.

Timedude wrote:Just wondered. Saw some concepts that crept into both the movie and Brikwars.

The one big contribution I can definitely point to is the original big BrikWars painting back in '02/'03. Back then, no one above the age of 8 was presenting this kind of post-modern genre mashup in a way that could be taken seriously. (Time Twisters was the closest Lego ever got, and apart from giving us Timmy it was kind of a disaster.)

A lot of people forget what Lego and the Lego community was like back in the late nineties and early 2000s, but everything was super-regimented and theme-specific, and as an AFOL you were allowed to be either Castle OR Space but never both. Lego as a company was in a kind of super brand-protection mode, putting the kibosh on anything that didn't meet strict brand and IP standards, and generally being dicks to anybody who had ideas that didn't line up with theirs. And so I was pretty pissed off about it for a decade or so, and BrikWars was my way of firing shots across the bow and just selling the hell out of this idea that nobody can tell me how to play with my Lego and I can make whatever stories and mashup whichever genres that I want.

And a bunch of people within the AFOL community and a bunch of people within Lego got caught up in this idea and dominoes started falling. The biggest one was Lego Universe, where they were doing the standard Lego single-IP thing and making a game about City and nothing else. Then one day they found the BrikWars painting, projected it on the wall, and said "Everybody stop. Let's scrap the game we were trying to make and make this instead." And Lego Universe got put to sleep after a year or two, but for that year or two everyone within LEGO and some tens of millions of kids got sold this idea directly, that this kind of unlimited freedom to do whatever you want is what Lego is about, not some carved-in-stone storyline IP like Ninjago or Chima or Knights Kingdom II.

So would something like the LEGO Movie exist without what I did to the Lego experience? Maybe. That's how kids have always played with Lego, whether or not adults want to admit it or approve of it or invest sixty million dollars into building IP around it. It's possible that Chris Miller and Phil Lord would have come up with this same kind of concept from looking into the way kids play and the kinds of brickfilms they make; they seem like the kinds of guys who might. (They're no strangers to ridiculous genre mashups; don't forget they were the minds behind Clone High.) It's less likely that Lego would have let them get away with it though. Left to its own devices, I think Lego's natural instinct is always going to be to try to make something like Galidor.

Kalvinator wrote:(also is Benny a reference to here for sure?)

No way to know. There's a lot of "don't ask don't tell" when it comes to stuff like this, from a legal standpoint. If I get Lego to admit that it's a direct reference, then it opens up all kinds of legal nonsense, and then they don't get to make cool references anymore, which sucks for both sides. The same as if Lego admits that it knows about BrikWars, then they have to take a legal position on it one way or the other, and so it's better that they decide never to officially know about it.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby Battlegrinder » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:47 pm

In other news, I just saw that the good people over at TV Tropes have seen fit to deify Emmett. He is now the God of Lego, and the God of Seeing Everything as Awesome. I'm not going to link to the pantheons in question, I won't have the loss of so many productive hours on my hands.

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Jaw-Jaw

Postby stubby » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:02 pm

Timedude wrote:Can't wait for it to come out on DVD so I can get a better look at the "map of the realms" President Business had up briefly in one scene.

Every scene has funny details if you look for them, especially the signs and billboards in Lego City.
stubby

Postby Zahru II » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:15 pm

I love when stubby tells behind the scenes type of stories, they are so interesting!

There should be a compilation thread about it.
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby stubby » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:16 pm

Somebody started a wiki page once, but I forget where it went.
stubby

Postby samuelzz10 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:51 pm

I find it really strange a bunch of people on a forum about Lego are acting so casual around the guy who has more or less influenced 50% of Lego's creative direction in the past 15 years.

But regardless,
stubby wrote:
samuelzz10 wrote:The movie was amazing. The only thing I didn't like was
A few things in the movie felt meme influenced, for example, I don't think the unikitty would've been in the movie if MLP wasn't a big thing right now.

Nope. The guy who forced unikitty into the movie has been obsessed with MLP for much loger than MLP has been a big thing. He was already a crazy G1 MLP nut when I first met him, which would have been '03 or '04. Still is.

I didn't know this, but it doesn't really change my opinion on it. Unikitty is in no way related to anything Lego has ever made, (aside from possibly Fabuland or Belville) and while the film was basically about how things are allowed to be crazy and not to relate to the instructions, it still felt weird considering
The whole film was about a 10~ year old boy influencing sentient Lego people or bending their will, or something along those lines and it makes no sense that he would be making things that are pink and about penises, unless he is a bronis, which is just going further into a hypothetical rabbit hole

and I want to say this again, I LOVED the movie, I'm not trying to hate on the movie, but it just felt out of place. Another example would be the cult poster joke, which is a theme that the directors seem to have in their things. (I remember there being a cult playing a piano joke in Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs)

I think I'm gonna get this on Blu-ray, because it's just that good. I also want to be able to take breaks during the movie, there's so much going on the first time I saw it I got a headache halfway through the film.

Kalvinator wrote: realized Benny was voiced by Charlie form ASiP,

Yeah, Charlie seems to be the most outgoing actor from that show. (Pacific Rim, Horrible Bosses) I always thought he was a pretty funny guy.

(I noticed the filter changes in my post, I wont change them because they're funny)
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby stubby » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:13 pm

samuelzz10 wrote:I find it really strange a bunch of people on a forum about Lego are acting so casual around the guy who has more or less influenced 50% of Lego's creative direction in the past 15 years.

That's why I use the janitor account. If I want to be taken seriously I'll post under the Rayhawk account instead.
stubby

Postby samuelzz10 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:43 pm

stubby wrote:
samuelzz10 wrote:I find it really strange a bunch of people on a forum about Lego are acting so casual around the guy who has more or less influenced 50% of Lego's creative direction in the past 15 years.

That's why I use the janitor account. If I want to be taken seriously I'll post under the Rayhawk account instead.

Well right now you're a god-like being voiced by Mark Hammil wearing a groucho marx mask and a hat.
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby stubby » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:44 pm

samuelzz10 wrote:Well right now you're a god-like being voiced by Mark Hammil wearing a groucho marx mask and a hat.

Sounds accurate
stubby

Postby Quantumsurfer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:13 am

Zahru II wrote:I love when stubby tells behind the scenes type of stories, they are so interesting!

100% Agreed.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:34 am

OKAY WHO THREW THE FLEEBNORK IN AT THE END CREDITS.

All in all... wow. I think that the whole premise of President Business and the Master Builders is perfect material for Brikwars Canon, being one of many alternate universes. "Master Builder" is an absolutely acceptable heroic ego any day of the week.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion