Anime

Look at all those prestiges

Moderators: Silverdream, silvadream, goldeennightmare

Re: Weaboo thread

Postby Zahru II » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:43 pm

She needs to watch super robot shows then.

Heck everybody needs some nekketsu action in their lives!
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby Insert_blank » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:27 am

My GF was like that so I got her into Iron Man and went from there. She really likes building Gundam models but refuses to watch Gundam itself. Slow and steady progression.
萌えを覚えっていますか?
Douse yourself in water and repent.
Insert_blank
I like how the floor looks covered in blood

Postby Quantumsurfer » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:47 pm

I started watching Psycho Pass. I almost immediately stopped watching but then they did that thing in the first episode where
Spoiler: show
the inspector was able to talk the victim down and her crime coefficient dropped back to the non lethal range. It was a good choice. And here I was thinking they were going to make a whole killer AI thing out of it. Glad they didn't.
For such an absurd notion, it's actually one of the most realistic representations I've seen of it. So far, average.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Theblackdog » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:03 am

Quantumsurfer wrote:I started watching Psycho Pass. I almost immediately stopped watching but then they did that thing in the first episode where
the inspector was able to talk the victim down and her crime coefficient dropped back to the non lethal range. It was a good choice. And here I was thinking they were going to make a whole killer AI thing out of it. Glad they didn't.
For such an absurd notion, it's actually one of the most realistic representations I've seen of it. So far, average.

I'm glad you decided to stick with it. Gen Urobichi's shows usually take a few episodes to get really interesting, but the payoff is well worth it. I'd say that psycho-pass hits its stride around episode 5 or 6.

Speaking of, thoughts on Aldnoah.Zero episode 8:
IT'S A GUNDAM
I'm kinda disappointed by this one, although it's nice to see that Crutheo actually has a heart. After the ending of Episode 7, I'd hoped that Inaho would be revealed to have some kind of hidden agenda, but now it seems like the entire thing was just a miscommunication between him and Slaine? Also, I was hoping for an epic fight between two Martian super robots, but that didn't happen, so yeah. Guess we'll keep playing the waiting game.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Silverdream » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:17 am

Aldnoah Zero Episode 8

God fucking damnit, I predicted that that Count was good. I fucking knew it, and now he's dead. Now all the Martians that could have stopped the war are screwed without his Aldnoah powers.

It also looks like Slaine is the Homura/Kiritsugu type character who's heavily driven towards his own goals.

Personally, I really enjoyed this episode (maybe enjoyed is a bad word because I watched best guy get tortured), and I hope nothing else I predict comes true.

I'm also starting to believe the theories that Inaho is high functioning autistic, or something. He doesn't give a fuck about anything, at all.

Also, if you guys have never been to an anime convention, they're actually pretty fun. I just went to my first one, and I thought it was easy to meet people, and everyone has the same interests as you (assuming you like anime).

Although I did get booed during the "unpopular anime opinions" event.

mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Insert_blank » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:01 am

It's like you're not even a master cosplayer, Silva. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLHT097T3ho&list=UU3SQ3G1AAEUVw2aDYhqhoEg I'll be over here winning best in show...

P.S. I'm Dan HIbiki
萌えを覚えっていますか?
Insert_blank

Postby Theblackdog » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:56 pm

Also, Calm Craftman is the reincarnation of Tamaki. Just putting that out there.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Quantumsurfer » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:57 pm

On Psycho Pass:

The Internet as virtual fields dedicated to cults of personality really, really weirded me out at first. It fits the setting and serves the function of the fictional futuristic equivalent well enough, but goddamn does it represent the worst aspects of the anime subculture all too well. All those cutesy (hideous) avatars running amok shouting in their japanese schoolgirl voices. Ugh. Just...ugh.

Still, two things shone through while I was watching it. First, when I really think about it, a whole lot of Forums and other Internet posting boards are very much like that. Clusters of groupies, lurkers, and even casual posters gravitating around Super Users. And it's more than a Nerd King thing. More than people flocking to read Wil Wheaton's Blog or gravitate around the guys at Topless Robot. It's a thing that happens IRL, naturally, where certain charismatic personalities come to the fore and dominate others. But on the Internet, it isn't always about personal magnetism. Dominant personalities come in many forms for many reasons, all suited to the specific themes of the forums they occupy. Second, you were right. The show starts to pick up around 5, I think it was. I saw the revelation coming from the 1st episode, of course, but here is where we are introduced more fully to the darker psychological themes of the piece. It was brutal before but this...this was something far subtler, deeper, and altogether scarier.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Insert_blank » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:17 am

Haven't seen ep 8 of Aldonoah yet but I noticed they're quite purposefully copying the plot of Mobile Suit Gundam. We have a bunch of survivors getting a badass battleship (White Base) and they finally found a Martian Cataphract which will be the Gundam. Even the Slaine/Inaho relationship is classic Char/Amuro (although Inaho is more like Char than Amuro, which is cool). They're heading to Russia to get to Earthling HQ (Jaburo in Gundam) where of course they'll be told to keep up the good work since they'll have defeated like 5 or 6 Martians by then. We've got our blonde bridge bunny (and an older bridge bunny like in Macross!). It will be fun to see how far the Gundam parallels go.
萌えを覚えっていますか?
Insert_blank

Postby Zahru II » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:56 am

It's been on my mind for a while, but the show does remind me of Turn A gundam a lot.
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby Insert_blank » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:00 am

Haven't actually watched Turn A yet but I was referring only to the original '79 version. But from what I understand Turn A incorporates all Gundam series up to that point so you may be correct.
萌えを覚えっていますか?
Insert_blank

Postby Theblackdog » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:45 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:On Psycho Pass:

The Internet as virtual fields dedicated to cults of personality really, really weirded me out at first. It fits the setting and serves the function of the fictional futuristic equivalent well enough, but goddamn does it represent the worst aspects of the anime subculture all too well. All those cutesy (hideous) avatars running amok shouting in their japanese schoolgirl voices. Ugh. Just...ugh.

Still, two things shone through while I was watching it. First, when I really think about it, a whole lot of Forums and other Internet posting boards are very much like that. Clusters of groupies, lurkers, and even casual posters gravitating around Super Users. And it's more than a Nerd King thing. More than people flocking to read Wil Wheaton's Blog or gravitate around the guys at Topless Robot. It's a thing that happens IRL, naturally, where certain charismatic personalities come to the fore and dominate others. But on the Internet, it isn't always about personal magnetism. Dominant personalities come in many forms for many reasons, all suited to the specific themes of the forums they occupy. Second, you were right. The show starts to pick up around 5, I think it was. I saw the revelation coming from the 1st episode, of course, but here is where we are introduced more fully to the darker psychological themes of the piece. It was brutal before but this...this was something far subtler, deeper, and altogether scarier.

I really liked episodes 4 and 5 because they reminded me of the Brikwars forum. True story.

On Aldnoah.Zero vs. Gundam: Haha, just wait until you finish Episode 8.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Quantumsurfer » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:33 pm

There were a lot of things in Gundam that reminded me of the BW Forum.

And yeah, while I was writing that, I realized I was describing a part of this place as well.

Edit: Also, I feel like Crime Coefficients are this show's power levels. I'm going to see the villain targeted with a Dominator and his crime coefficient will be OVER 9000, won't it?
Last edited by Quantumsurfer on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Insert_blank » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:44 am

What I meant was Gundam is the seminal "real robot" show in the same way Sailor Moon is for magical girl. Since Madoka was basically a deconstruction on magical girl (Precure more than Moon but whatever), if he's doing the same thing it only makes sense that he'd draw a direct connection to Gundam and then flip it on its head. I'm waiting for the ep8 subs since the group I like has been pretty slow this summer.
萌えを覚えっていますか?
Insert_blank

Postby mgb519 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:36 pm

Urobutcher pulled a fast one.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.

That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.
mgb519
Pooplord

PreviousNext

Return to The Silvawards and Anime