Anime

Look at all those prestiges

Moderators: Silverdream, silvadream, goldeennightmare

Re: Weaboo thread

Postby Insert_blank » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:03 pm

Yeah lvl 1 is DBZ, Trigun, all that good stuff. Happiness Charge is not bad but the 3d stuff is kind of weird. Honey is cool and she sings a song about eating rice which I really enjoy. I've been pretty stressed out recently so it's good to watch little girls fight monsters.
萌えを覚えっていますか?
Douse yourself in water and repent.
Insert_blank
I like how the floor looks covered in blood

Postby Theblackdog » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:03 am

Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Colette » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:51 pm

Next thing you know they'll make Madoka into a Disney princess.
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna

Postby Vami IV » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:08 pm

Colette wrote:Next thing you know they'll make Madoka into a Disney princess.

Let's hope then, that the studio responsible doesn't go the way of Lucasarts.
Spoiler: show
Tzan wrote:
Vami_IV wrote:Rules:
You must use only medieval pieces.

The Lego briks must have been manufactured between the 5th to the 15th century.

Vami IV
My Little Pony

Postby Zahru II » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:57 am

But why would Gainax partner up with anyone, especially with the 'white debiru', when EVA is already a cash-cow and they don't have to split the income?
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby Theblackdog » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:23 pm

Colette wrote:Next thing you know they'll make Madoka into a Disney princess.

Already done.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Insert_blank » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:43 am

Luckily (?) most Japanese are not interested in expanding into foreign markets. The Akira film, Bebop film, Eva film, etc. that are always rumored will never happen. We all saw Zilla '98 and how bad that was (Toho even decided he's Zilla not Godzilla because the movie was so bad).
萌えを覚えっていますか?
Insert_blank

Postby Insert_blank » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:30 am

I'm not convinced this is a "big" moment. Saazebaum basically quoted Char with the whole "Empire is corrupt so Asseylum is also guilty," then the mysterious Martian girl (who is also a princess?!) killed her presumably based on those same "sins" in the same exact way Char led Garma Zabi to his death in MSG ep 10. Show is still following Gundam. I'm waiting for the real holy shit moment.

He's also winding down on Kamen Rider Gaim which was also a longer show and I'm wondering now if he has pacing problems with 50 episode shows. If we're getting 2 season is it 12 or 26 eps per?
萌えを覚えっていますか?
Insert_blank

Postby Zahru II » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:22 am

I follow Gaim and apart from Toei-mandated crossover bullshit episodes, the show is/was reasonably paced. Can't really remember any "clear filler" apart from the previously mentioned shoehorned-in trash, and airing delays.
Zahru II

Postby Silverdream » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:05 pm

Kill la Kill OVA

Goddamn that was stupid. The animation was bad, and this was pretty unnecessary. However, it was really fun to watch, and I'm glad Rei got a backstory. The fight scenes were also well done, and I fucking knew that Honnouji Academy was a mech all along.

mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Insert_blank » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 pm

I guess what I mean was there weren't really any "holy shit!" moments like when watching Madoka. Gaim just chugs along and you're like "oh, okay." That could just be because I've been watching weekly and can't remember anything though.
萌えを覚えっていますか?
Insert_blank

Postby Theblackdog » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:03 pm

Here's a stream of the Kill la kill OVA for those who haven't watched it.:

I'm not sure I hate it quite that badly. It wasn't really necessary, no, but it's about what I'd expect to happen to these characters after the end of the series. My biggest problem is with how compressed it was. The idea of the Student Council members' pasts as villains coming back to haunt them, Satsuki trying to find a new cause after defeating Ragyo, and Ryuko grieving for Senketsu are all things that I wish they'd explore in way more detail instead of compressing them all into one episode. If they'd made a whole season based on this it would've been good; as a single episode, it feels rushed and thoughtless.

Also, the fight scenes were awesome, Mecha Honnouji is cool enough that I might have to build something like it, the reveal of the Elite Four DTRs was hilarious, and I totally predicted that Hououmaru would be the villain.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Zahru II » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:43 pm

@Insert:

I think it was pretty good with the "aw shit" moments in the beginning, assuming you did not expect the standard Urobochi tropes (which at the time I was unaware of). I think its poor airing schedule really damaged the plot, since it is a lot more cohesive than the previous show's usual monster of the week format. Still, we're getting to the show's endgame part and it's shaping up pretty hype!
I think it's one of the stronger shows of late, and if anything it's a nice change of pace from the "rider #1 and his whimsy sidecast +rider #2 later joining the party" setup that was present since W.

I watched the KLK OVA myself, and I quite liked it (nice to have a post-show special I don't hate)!
It wasn't much of anything but a fanservicy endcap on the show but I'm more than cool with that. I was suprised by the runtime though, for some reason I've anticipated it to be much longer (then again that could be because my brain registers OVA as "longer than an avg. anime episode").
Zahru II

Postby Insert_blank » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:15 pm

That's true. But for some reason I really enjoyed Double, even though the plot was not great. I guess if I marathoned Gaim again I'd end up thinking differently. How many weeks in June and July were pre-empted again? 2 or 3 I think so I probably forgot a bunch of stuff. It's something I look forward to every week but I am kind of waiting on Drive now since it's being done by a lot of the same people who did Kyoryuger which I think was a more hype show.

Sorry for stinking up the anime thread with live-action. If I thought KLK was just okay will I like the OVA? I'm more looking forward to Little Witch Academia 2.
萌えを覚えっていますか?
Insert_blank

Postby Theblackdog » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:29 pm

Aldnoah Episode 10:
What the hell? Nothing in this episode seemed to make sense. So Asseylum is brought back to life via CPR about 3 minutes in? Rayet's motivations for killing Asseylum were... sort of clear, but only in comparison to the crazy that was the rest of the cast. It's more that we can say for Inaho, who despite being the product of an unholy union of Kyubey and Colette decided to GIVE HER A LOADED GUN RIGHT AFTER SHE TRIED TO KILL THE PRINCESS. Saazebaum wants revenge on Earth because his wife was killed there... by falling chunks of the Moon... after the corrupt Martian emperor sent her there? (Or does he want revenge on Asseylum because her distant ancestor who believed the exact opposite of what she does sent him and his wife there?) Way to pinpoint the one group of people who had absolutely nothing to do with her death. Also the character animations seemed off somehow, especially in the first few scenes.

There were a couple interesting bits of worldbuilding in this episode. The fact that the Moon hypergate exploded immediately after Mars sent their invasion force through seems coincidental, but then again this show has been a perfect storm of coincidence so far. And the cliffhanger is definitely promising, but given this show's penchant for resolving crises literally minutes after they happen I wouldn't be surprised if Asseylum just transforms into a Magical Girl and makes Saazebaum's landing castle disappear in midair.

Also: Why does Inaho, who is seriously edging into Mary Sue supergenius territory, think that using a defibrillator on a person whose heart has stopped entirely going to work? And why does a military with exactly one uber-secret flying battleship that hasn't worked until a few days ago have a gigantic pit base that could only be accessed by some sort of flying ship? I'd guess that there's some sort of secret conspiracy linked to the suppression of the Tanegashima report, but this show has disappointed me a few too many times for me to really believe it. All in all, I'm starting to lose patience with Aldnoah: while I still think the fight scenes and music are good, psycho-pass got interesting by episode 5 and we're still ten episodes in with very little sign of the plot developing beyond "Martians and Earthlings shooting each other"

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

PreviousNext

Return to The Silvawards and Anime