Miscommunications

You know, whatever

Moderators: Almighty Benny, Blitzen, Silent-sigfig

Re: Miscommunications

Postby Scratch » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:The list goes on and on like Bonn-o-Tron.

Everytime this word filter comes into play, I see Bonn-o-Tron in a new light.

stubby wrote:Which is not really my intent - I'm as much a part of it as everyone else. I was expecting to come back to this thread today to see a bunch of "stubby y u so hypocrite" posts. :sparta: doesn't mean don't be wrong or don't be an asshole. I just prefer the kind of being wrong where everyone's cool with recognizing when they're wrong, admitting it, and then either going right on being wrong or deciding not to according to whichever is funnier.

This is sorta how I've been handling it, I've been aiming at being a very self-reflective asshole, on that note, I'm going to go be the colette of art history.

Arkbrik wrote:An example of postmodernism would be taking a urinal, signing it, and calling it art. Another example would be copying a timeline from a wiki, adding a few sentences to the beginning and end, and calling it a story.

Actually, "Fountain" was one of the finest examples of Dadaism, a genre credited with founding both Modernism and Surrealism. Post-modernism began in the 60's/70's while "Fountain" was made in 1917. :rtfm:
The only unflawed system is Lego System.
Zupponn wrote:
Colette wrote:You're free to make your own map from scratch, however.

All you have to do is flatten his head.
User avatar
Scratch
Dimmy
 
Posts: 677
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:23 pm
Location: The Wine Dark Sea

Re: Miscommunications

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:33 pm

stubby wrote:Talking about the Lego Movie has got me thinking lately about what I was trying to accomplish with BrikWars. The 1995 version was just me trying to make a dumb wargame, but by 2000 I had an agenda. I wanted BrikWars to be something I could shove in the face of all the pretentious wargamers thinking they're better than Lego gamers, all the asshole LUGNETters talking over each other and all of them thinking they're the only one who knows the "right" way to play with lego and the right way to post on message boards. And so I started gearing the game so that you could play with lego the way kids actually play with lego, building boxxy rainbow tanks and teaming Harry Potter up with Darth Vader to fight Blokbots and nobody could say shit about it.


Driving home from the LEGO movie, I actually had a very similar thought. I think that there are a lot of lessons to be learned from the movie that can be directly applied to Brikwars. Notably, I think that one of the ideas that would vastly improve the anti-wargamer LUGNET experience is to embrace the concept of "Everyone is awesome"

By Everyone is Awesome principals, I'm starting to think that differentiating between minifigs and pilots is silly - if a regular fig wants to fly a spaceship and use his actions while doing so, god dammit he should be able to because that's awesome. Some of the other roles like Mediks and Heavies make more sense as exclusive positions because their actions significantly contribute to the awesome, but things like Pilots only exist to point out that normal figs aren't awesome enough to ride a horse while swinging a battle-axe. I say fuck that.

I also think that Everyone is Awesome means that all figs have the potential to become heroes depending on their battlefield usefulness. That said, I think that granting individual figs an opportunity to "level-up" after every confirmed kill encourages players to be more aggressive while also embracing the fact that every minifig can become a legend in their own (incredibly short) lifetime.

Keep in mind that these were just half-baked thoughts while I was on my way home, but the basic idea is that minifigs may roll their own skill every time they make a kill. If they crit, they get to upgrade their skill level by one die. If they're already at 1d10, they can elect to either gain a feat or upgrade to a d12 and be deified. Or maybe even become one of those leader figs we keep bullshitting about.

Each kill would only count for one fig, so in a combined attack that brings down a creation, you'd pick one to get the chance. Bigger creations would still only count as one kill and one opportunity for advancement, but the minifig gets as many attempts as there were inches in the creation's size. So a 4" dinosaur kill would give minifig Muldoon 4 tries to level-up and become more skilled.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6333
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Re: Miscommunications

Postby Brikguy0410 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:56 pm

I just had an idea, we should have a big forum battle were everyone comes up with there own random army and everyone just dukes it out to celebrate vrikwars(I can't host it because my Lego collection is to small)
User avatar
Brikguy0410
Official Forum Science and History Expert
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:04 pm
Location: In a pineapple under the sea

Re: Miscommunications

Postby Colette » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:00 pm

Brikguy0410 wrote:I just had an idea, we should have a big forum battle were everyone comes up with there own random army and everyone just dukes it out to celebrate vrikwars(I can't host it because my Lego collection is to small)

Buy a bunch of random lego sets, smash them together into armies, problem solved.
Image
Image
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
User avatar
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna
 
Posts: 2513
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: This Forum

Re: Miscommunications

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:06 pm

Isn't that what the JellyBean Rainbow Apocalypse War was supposed to be?
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6333
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Re: Miscommunications

Postby Brikguy0410 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:18 pm

The what?
User avatar
Brikguy0410
Official Forum Science and History Expert
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:04 pm
Location: In a pineapple under the sea

Re: Miscommunications

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:21 pm

User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6333
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Re: Miscommunications

Postby Brikguy0410 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Not random enough armies, I'm talking the kind of army a 5 year old would make, with darth vader and the u.s.s enterprise and dinosaurs that transform into giant killer robots
User avatar
Brikguy0410
Official Forum Science and History Expert
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:04 pm
Location: In a pineapple under the sea

Re: Miscommunications

Postby lawmaster » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:52 pm

Brikguy0410 wrote:I just had an idea, we should have a big forum battle were everyone comes up with there own random army and everyone just dukes it out to celebrate vrikwars(I can't host it because my Lego collection is to small)

Brikguy0410 wrote:Not random enough armies, I'm talking the kind of army a 5 year old would make, with darth vader and the u.s.s enterprise and dinosaurs that transform into giant killer robots


This...This makes me actually like you a little, and it isn't a bad idea, only problem is getting everyone together, but it would be fun.
You are faced with door what do you do
I use my flamethrower
wait what you can't do that
Sure I can see
*door catches fire*
User avatar
lawmaster
Dimmy
 
Posts: 731
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:32 am
Location: Over the rainbow

Re: Miscommunications

Postby Quantumsurfer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:16 pm

IVhorseman wrote:I also think that Everyone is Awesome means that all figs have the potential to become heroes depending on their battlefield usefulness.


I do something like this in my own games. I start at the bottom, with fodder, and any minifig along the chain of badassery can advance to the "next level" based on their performance during a given battle. Before, this was something I just did. But now, the Kanon idea serves as an excellent vehicle for it.
User avatar
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Miscommunications

Postby Battlegrinder » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:
IVhorseman wrote:I also think that Everyone is Awesome means that all figs have the potential to become heroes depending on their battlefield usefulness.


I do something like this in my own games. I start at the bottom, with fodder, and any minifig along the chain of badassery can advance to the "next level" based on their performance during a given battle. Before, this was something I just did. But now, the Kanon idea serves as an excellent vehicle for it.


Same here. I'm planning on promoting my minifigs to new ranks or roles depending on how well they do in battle.
Image

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
User avatar
Battlegrinder
Dimmy
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 5:52 pm
Location: Limbo

Re: Miscommunications

Postby stubby » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:23 am

Scratch wrote:Actually, "Fountain" was one of the finest examples of Dadaism, a genre credited with founding both Modernism and Surrealism. Post-modernism began in the 60's/70's while "Fountain" was made in 1917. :rtfm:

I disagree. Fountain was the finest example of decadent New York Dadaism, the kind everyone made fun of the way that people make fun of postmodernism now. European Dada was better, because they'd kill you for it. You gave that shit a second look because you knew that the artists chose to participate in Dada knowing it meant they were going to get tortured to death. Marcel Duchamp, fuck that guy.

IVhorseman wrote:By Everyone is Awesome principals, I'm starting to think that differentiating between minifigs and pilots is silly - if a regular fig wants to fly a spaceship and use his actions while doing so, god dammit he should be able to because that's awesome. Some of the other roles like Mediks and Heavies make more sense as exclusive positions because their actions significantly contribute to the awesome, but things like Pilots only exist to point out that normal figs aren't awesome enough to ride a horse while swinging a battle-axe. I say fuck that.

I was actually already thinking of doing this after that last /tg/ thread, which makes me wonder if we discussed this already somewhere? It's one of the streamlining bits that'll let me cut out large unneeded sections of rules.
User avatar
stubby
forum janitor
 
Posts: 4688
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Miscommunications

Postby Nimja » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:01 am

lawmaster wrote:
Brikguy0410 wrote:I just had an idea, we should have a big forum battle were everyone comes up with there own random army and everyone just dukes it out to celebrate vrikwars(I can't host it because my Lego collection is to small)

Brikguy0410 wrote:Not random enough armies, I'm talking the kind of army a 5 year old would make, with darth vader and the u.s.s enterprise and dinosaurs that transform into giant killer robots


This...This makes me actually like you a little, and it isn't a bad idea, only problem is getting everyone together, but it would be fun.

Good luck getting me to catch a plane on Higher study leave!
What Mavericks sig is missing:
Silvawards 2013 wrote:Best Noob
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick
Winner: Maverick

Joke of the day
User avatar
Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:48 pm
Location: Location,Location

Re: Miscommunications

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:39 am

stubby wrote:
IVhorseman wrote:By Everyone is Awesome principals, I'm starting to think that differentiating between minifigs and pilots is silly - if a regular fig wants to fly a spaceship and use his actions while doing so, god dammit he should be able to because that's awesome. Some of the other roles like Mediks and Heavies make more sense as exclusive positions because their actions significantly contribute to the awesome, but things like Pilots only exist to point out that normal figs aren't awesome enough to ride a horse while swinging a battle-axe. I say fuck that.

I was actually already thinking of doing this after that last /tg/ thread, which makes me wonder if we discussed this already somewhere? It's one of the streamlining bits that'll let me cut out large unneeded sections of rules.


Yeah, it was in the last /tg/ thread here, in fact. Senior moment?
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6333
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Re: Miscommunications

Postby stubby » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:34 am

Pothead moment

I have selected this picture for this thread:
Image
User avatar
stubby
forum janitor
 
Posts: 4688
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: newcowboy and 3 guests