I have aged

You know, whatever

Moderators: Almighty Benny, Blitzen, Silent-sigfig

Re: I have aged

Postby Tzan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:13 am

stubby wrote:I wonder what kind of effects that chronic sleep deprivation has on someone's brain?

Oh I'm sure its nothing.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/fe ... eep-habits

In the short term:

Decreased Performance and Alertness: Sleep deprivation induces significant reductions in performance and alertness. Reducing your nighttime sleep by as little as one and a half hours for just one night could result in a reduction of daytime alertness by as much as 32%.

Memory and Cognitive Impairment: Decreased alertness and excessive daytime sleepiness impair your memory and your cognitive ability -- your ability to think and process information.

Stress Relationships: Disruption of a bed partner's sleep due to a sleep disorder may cause significant problems for the relationship (for example, separate bedrooms, conflicts, moodiness, etc.).

Poor Quality of Life: You might, for example, be unable to participate in certain activities that require sustained attention, like going to the movies, seeing your child in a school play, or watching a favorite TV show.

Occupational Injury: Excessive sleepiness also contributes to a greater than twofold higher risk of sustaining an occupational injury.

Automobile Injury: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates conservatively that each year drowsy driving is responsible for at least 100,000 automobile crashes, 71,000 injuries, and 1,550 fatalities.

The good news for many of the disorders that cause sleep deprivation is that after risk assessment, education, and treatment, memory and cognitive deficits improve and the number of injuries decreases.

In the long term, the clinical consequences of untreated sleep disorders are large indeed. They are associated with numerous, serious medical illnesses, including:

High blood pressure
Heart attack
Heart failure
Stroke
Obesity
Psychiatric problems, including depression and other mood disorders
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
Mental impairment
Fetal and childhood growth retardation
Injury from accidents
Disruption of bed partner's sleep quality
Poor quality of life

Some researchers suggest that sleep deprivation should be recognized with the same seriousness that has been associated with the societal impact of alcohol.

I think its hilarious that a company gives you health insurance, free gym membership, maybe even a gym in the building and say they want you to be healthy.
Then they see salary employees working 2 days straight and say "wow he is our best guy".
If they saw a guy at the gym huffing asbestos from a bag would they say the same thing?
Or think he was insane? Hey its not going to kill him this week. So no problem right.

Anyway, I think sleep is important, like eating and drinking enough water.
Last edited by Tzan on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby samuelzz10 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:22 am

Im not obese, im probably doing fine on my 5 hours of sleep.
Spoiler: show
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby Tzan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:27 am

Yeah but that wasn't the only thing on the list.
You don't necessarily get everything.

Is your fetal growth retarded? :)
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby samuelzz10 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:34 am

Tzan wrote:Yeah but that wasn't the only thing on the list.
You don't necessarily get everything.

Is your fetal growth retarded? :)

Sorry I was tired I forgot 95 percent of what you just said.

But in all seriousness, I'm on spring break now and actually getting to sleep is fucking amazing.
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby Tzan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:36 am

You should get an ultra sound.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby stubby » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:36 pm

Tzan wrote:I think its hilarious that a company gives you health insurance, free gym membership, maybe even a gym in the building and say they want you to be healthy.
Then they see salary employees working 2 days straight and say "wow he is our best guy".

Nah, the gym is in the other building.

They get really mad whenever they find out how many hours I work. I have to pull all kinds of subterfuge to keep them from finding out I work more than the Danish standard 5 hours a week.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Tzan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:18 pm

stubby wrote:Nah, the gym is in the other building.

Oh, my mistake.

stubby wrote:They get really mad whenever they find out how many hours I work. I have to pull all kinds of subterfuge to keep them from finding out I work more than the Danish standard 5 hours a week.

:)

So what you are saying is sleep deprivation is like beer.
The more you have, the more you think its ok to have some more.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Zupponn » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:05 pm

stubby wrote:I wonder what kind of effects that chronic sleep deprivation has on someone's brain?

Maybe something like this?
Zupponn
No Lego part truly dies
No Lego part truly dies

Postby Bragallot » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:19 pm

dilanski wrote:
Brikguy0410 wrote:Spend the entire day acting like me

I now present, for your entertainment, my recital of an average day in BrikGuys life

This was glorious :boss:

and then samuel tried to imitate you and it got old.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles
Zupponn wrote:Everybody needs a sand green codpiece.
Bragallot
Blockguy

Postby Brikguy0410 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:20 pm

stubby wrote:
Tzan wrote:I think its hilarious that a company gives you health insurance, free gym membership, maybe even a gym in the building and say they want you to be healthy.

They get really mad whenever they find out how many hours I work. I have to pull all kinds of subterfuge to keep them from finding out I work more than the Danish standard 5 hours a week.

Mike is DANISH?!?!?!?!
Brikguy0410
Official Forum Science and History Expert

Postby Maverick » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:04 am

Brikguy0410 wrote:
stubby wrote:

Mike is DANISH?!?!?!?!

No he's not. He works for Lego. Which is danish.
Think I'm stupid? Well then check out this:
Overwatch_Elite wrote:well THEN STOP HAVING SUCH AN ENLIGHTENED BRAIN geeze this place isn't for smart people such as yourself

Silvawards wrote:Most intelligent
Nominees
-Colette
-Maverick
-Samuelzz10
Winner: Maverick
Maverick
Wanted something that rhymes with "Mandalore" but I think "pandawhore shitsnorkeler" Does the job. And then some more.
Wanted something that rhymes with "Mandalore" but I think "pandawhore shitsnorkeler" Does the job. And then some more.

Location: Denmark, the land where the mighty bricks were first forged.

Previous

Return to General Discussion