Books Thread

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Books Thread

Postby Colette » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:42 pm

To combat the anime thread.

My most recent book was The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The writing style was beautiful (certainly one which I wish to emulate), although the plot was kind of flat for me, since it focused heavily on romance. The other themes of achieving the American dream and the conflict between grounded aristocracy and nouveau riche were salvageable, however. Tom was a big unlikeable jerk, but I suppose that was the purpose of the character. I kind of agreed with Nick when he told Gatsby "You're worth the whole damn bunch put together", since the latter seems to be a genuine and hardworking guy compared to the crowd of spoiled rich degenerates in the novel.
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna

Re: Books Thread

Postby Silverdream » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:51 pm

I'm pretty sure we have a thread for this, but whatever. Currently I'm reading Metro 2033, and it's pretty good. The writing style isn't that great in my opinion, but the setting is really what saves it. I'm about halfway done, and so far I would recommend it to anyone who like post-apocalyptic horror that takes place in Russia.

My favourite book of all time is Middlesex by Jeffrey Euginides. It's about three generations of a Greek American family, each of which faces problems and issues relevant to their era. It also deals with gender issues, sexuality and racism. The characters are very well-developed, the plot is really interesting and I found that everything was so human. I used to have two copies, but both seem to be missing. Not that I mind, I would purchase a fourth copy in a heartbeat (one copy was a gift to a friend).

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Bragallot » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:03 pm

^ If Putin keeps pushing his agenda we might not have to read the book, we can just go see for ourselves.

I read the Time Machine (HG Wells) and the Picture of Dorian Grey for English class. The two shouldn't be compared, so I'll just say they are both very good. The Time Machine really makes you wonder about the fate of humanity and where it is all going, The Picture of Dorian Grey imo spends a lot of time defining Oscar Wilde's views on art. It's not very exciting when I put it like that, but trust me, it is quite interesting when Oscar Wilde writes it. And there's of course the story besides my interpretation.

For this semester I think I'm going to read Frankenstein and the Island of Dr. Moreau (we have to pick them off a list). I'll pick a book I've already read as my third book to save time: Shadow by Anne Logston. Very enjoyable fantasy series about an elf thief which I picked up in a second hand book store a couple of years back. Anne Logston is a really accomplished writer. I can definitely recommend it.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot
Forum Authority on Bragging Rights

Postby Silent-sigfig » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:49 pm

My top Books:

The Prophet by Khalil Gibran

The Count Of Monte Christo by Alexander Dumas

Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel by Scott Adams

I also just finished my pre-season re-read of the current A Song of Ice and Fire saga.
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:

Coolest 1000th post ever :D
Silent-sigfig
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Silent-sigfig » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:53 pm

Colette wrote: although the plot was kind of flat for me, since it focused heavily on romance. .

It's because there was a girl involved, wasn't it?
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:

Coolest 1000th post ever :D
Silent-sigfig
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Overwatch_Elite » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:15 pm

I have started buying books at the dollar tree and reading them during my trips to the bathroom. Currently am reading "The Heroes" by Joe Abercrombie.
Overwatch_Elite
Who watches the overwatch while the overwatch watches over the watchers of the overwatch?
Who watches the overwatch while the overwatch watches over the watchers of the overwatch?

Postby Battlegrinder » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:50 pm

I jutted finished reading the Shadow Ops series, and I loved it. I'm currently reading Andy McDermott's novel series.

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby samuelzz10 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:03 pm

I made the last books thread, actually!
Anyways, 3 books I would recommend are
-No Regrets: Ace Frehley's autobiography, even if you don't like KISS or his solo work it's still worth a look. Make sure you watch a video to hear his Boston accent before you read the book though, or else you wont hear his voice while you read the book.
-Iron Man: My Journey Through Heaven and Hell with Black Sabbath: Same as the last one, Tony Iommi lived a very interesting life. You get to learn about his numerous wives, his friendship with Brian May, the tour with Van Halen, and more. Good stuff.
-Crazy From the Heat: David Lee Roth's autobiography. He lived the lives of 30 men by the time he was 15. Just read the book to see what I mean, great stuff.
-Blue Like Jazz: A book about faith. I have trouble with believing my religion sometimes, but this book is really helping me out. (Don't want to derail the entire thread, so I'll leave it at that)
-normalman: A graphic novel that I got as an impulse buy on Amazon. It's Superman reversed: A human lands on a planet where everyone has superpowers. I haven't gotten to read it yet, but when I do it's gonna be sweet.
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby Natalya » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:15 pm

That book was so fucking stupid. Gatsby needed to fucking move on instead of longing after a teenage sweetheart. Daisy was a boring undeveloped character who I would never want to date. Tom was a dick. The end.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.

Postby Tzan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:36 pm

John Stewart had an interesting comment about the Gatsby movie.
I don't remember what it was.
I did just see the movie on saturday on HBO.
At the end I came up with my own Stewartish comment.

"So The Great Gatsby movie has 100 douche bags in it, at the end of the movie three of them die, nobody cares and nothing of value was lost." ~Tzan
Tzan
Blockguy

Postby loafofcheese » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:06 am

Wolf of Wall Street is really good, and shows that stockbrokers are actually rockstars.
DeltaV wrote:Caw caw motherfucker.
loafofcheese
Nice TRIPS

Postby stubby » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:35 am

samuelzz10 wrote:-normalman: A graphic novel that I got as an impulse buy on Amazon. It's Superman reversed: A human lands on a planet where everyone has superpowers. I haven't gotten to read it yet, but when I do it's gonna be sweet.

Speaking of graphic novels that deconstruct the superhero myth:

- V for Vendetta - forget the movie, read the book.
- Watchmen - also forget the movie, read the book.
- Superman: Red Son

And for the reverse, the one that everyone thought was a satiric deconstruction, until everyone realized Frank Miller was bugfuck crazy with a fascist hard-on and was actually trying to be serious. Kind of the reverse of Fight Club that way.

- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - forget the movie, read the book
stubby
Psy.D Child Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby Nimja » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:46 am

Terry Pratchett. All of them.
What Mavericks sig is missing:
Silvawards 2013 wrote:Best Noob
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick
Winner: Maverick

Joke of the day
Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Postby Silverdream » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:03 pm

I actually like the Watchmen movie, and despite a few things like the cast there wasn't many problems with it. The ending also makes Moore sense, even if it isn't a throwback to whatever-age comics. I don't think anyone could have done better.

That being said the comic is great, and has a lot of things that aren't mentioned in the movie. It also develops the setting Moore.

mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby stubby » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:25 pm

Silverdream wrote:I actually like the Watchmen movie, and despite a few things like the cast there wasn't many problems with it. The ending also makes Moore sense, even if it isn't a throwback to whatever-age comics. I don't think anyone could have done better.

Yeah. In terms of what you can do with a movie, they did about as good a job as you could do. But what the book was trying to do isn't something you can do in a movie really.
stubby
Psy.D Child Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Next

Return to General Discussion