Books Thread

You know, whatever

Moderators: Almighty Benny, Blitzen, Silent-sigfig

Re: Books Thread

Postby Maverick » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:32 pm

Tolkien. The old stuff.
Think I'm stupid? Well then check out this:
Spoiler: show
Overwatch_Elite wrote:well THEN STOP HAVING SUCH AN ENLIGHTENED BRAIN geeze this place isn't for smart people such as yourself

Silvawards wrote:Most intelligent
Nominees
-Colette
-Maverick
-Samuelzz10
Winner: Maverick
Maverick
Wanted something that rhymes with "Mandalore" but I think "pandawhore shitsnorkeler" Does the job. And then some more.
Wanted something that rhymes with "Mandalore" but I think "pandawhore shitsnorkeler" Does the job. And then some more.

Location: Denmark, the land where the mighty bricks were first forged.

Postby Apollyon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:38 pm

Maverick wrote:Tolkien. The old stuff.

So which part of the History of Middle Earth are you reading?
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!
Apollyon
My Little Pony

Postby Maverick » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:53 pm

Apollyon wrote:
Maverick wrote:Tolkien. The old stuff.

So which part of the History of Middle Earth are you reading?

:all:
Think I'm stupid? Well then check out this:
Overwatch_Elite wrote:well THEN STOP HAVING SUCH AN ENLIGHTENED BRAIN geeze this place isn't for smart people such as yourself

Silvawards wrote:Most intelligent
Nominees
-Colette
-Maverick
-Samuelzz10
Winner: Maverick
Maverick

Location: Denmark, the land where the mighty bricks were first forged.

Postby Quantumsurfer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:56 pm

I couldn't possibly fit all the books I like here. There was a Facebook thing going around where folks were supposed to list their top ten books. I couldn't do it. Until fairly recently, I've been an avid reader. So let's go for current.

I've just gotten The Great Gatsby from the library. I checked it out a few days ago after having watched the movie, which was a gorgeous piece of work. I haven't gotten around to starting it yet, though, because I'm in the middle of the newest Ranger's Apprentice book by John Flanagan. It's technically a young adult series but I place it overall as one of my "favorites." It's a smooth and relatable fantasy experience. Well ordered with very likable protagonists. I finished the second book in the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss a couple of weeks ago. Very solid fantasy with exceptional characterization.

I've enjoyed a lot of what has been mentioned so far. I will add my opinion that both the Watchmen novel and movie were excellent. The difference really lay with the ending and it was fine either way. Though I preferred the movie version, I won't say that it was better. They were just different media approaches to the same subject matter. I usually have this opinion, though my preference is usually for the book version. I can't understand the notion that different approaches are mutually exclusive.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Battlegrinder » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:19 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:I couldn't possibly fit all the books I like here. There was a Facebook thing going around where folks were supposed to list their top ten books. I couldn't do it. Until fairly recently, I've been an avid reader. So let's go for current.

That was the same approach I took. I always hate those "what is your favorite novel" security questions, since I can never choose or remember which one I might've picked.

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby Ross_Varn » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:33 pm

I'm alternating right now between finishing the complete works of Poe and reading a collection of Lovecraft's seminal stories. All good stuff, if a bit, well, less-wet. I continue to recommend Philip Reeve's excellent young adult series Mortal Engines to anyone who will listen, though.

"It was a dark, blustery afternoon in spring, and the city of London was chasing a small mining town across the dried-out bed of the old North Sea..."

I've discussed Reeve's work at length here before however, so I'll just drop the obligatory "go read Good Omens" here and call it good.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby stubby » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:55 pm

Here's authors I like.

Dostoevsky. Tolstoy also I guess, but mostly Dostoevsky.

Jorge Luis Borges and Italo Calvino. But not Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Rumi is 100% better than Gibran. Sorry, but it's true.

Mark Twain is better than Vonnegut. Vonnegut's like Kilgore Trout; there's good ideas under the terrible prose, but that doesn't change the fact that it's terrible prose.

George Herriman, and his thematic descendant, Bill Watterson.

Douglas Hofstadter, but only for "Godel, Escher, Bach." I didn't like his other stuff as much.

Robert Hamburger. Also Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir. With the same level of seriousness, Robert Heinlein.

Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson's "Illuminatus! Trilogy," for sure. By the same token, Thomas Pynchon.

I don't like when Neil Gaiman tries to write. He should stick to comic books, where paper-thin archetypes standing in for characters are an asset rather than a reason to throw a book in the garbage. I like Terry Pratchett for the important achievement of not being Neil Gaiman.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby samuelzz10 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:29 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote: I haven't gotten around to starting it yet, though, because I'm in the middle of the newest Ranger's Apprentice book by John Flanagan. It's technically a young adult series but I place it overall as one of my "favorites." It's a smooth and relatable fantasy experience. Well ordered with very likable protagonists. I finished the second book in the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss a couple of weeks ago. Very solid fantasy with exceptional characterization.

I really liked the first Ranger's Apprentice book, but when I started reading the second book the guy's trainer was actually nice/forgiving to the protagonist, it just didn't seem right. So I didn't continue reading the series, but I feel like I should someday.
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby Scribonius » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:55 pm

I admit to being a boring older person. I read history for fun.

Right now I'm reading volume 1 of a 2-volume set on the Medici of Renaissance Italy. The irony is, these books were written in 1919. Yes, they are 95 years old. Ironically, still relevant to the topic, and actually a lot more interesting than some of the stuff being written now. Beats sparkly vampires, anyway.

I'm also re-reading Larry Niven's Ringworld series, among other things. I agree that Pratchett is good, but I have so many authors I like that I can't list them all, and most of them are so out of print there isn't a point in trying. :evil:
Scribonius
Officer

Postby Quantumsurfer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:52 am

I'll look into Reeves. I always meant to read Ringworld but never got around to it.

We have a joke here. It's not very complex. Whenever we hear the name, the instinct is to shout out "Dostoevsky? FUCK Dostoevsky!" It makes all the academics upset. I very much agree with the sentiments about Gaiman. I want to like him but I don't, really.

samuelzz10 wrote:I really liked the first Ranger's Apprentice book, but when I started reading the second book the guy's trainer was actually nice/forgiving to the protagonist, it just didn't seem right. So I didn't continue reading the series, but I feel like I should someday.

Yeah, make no mistake. It's still YA. It does get better and better with each book, though. The characterizations start to really fall into place. I will say that the newest book is guiltiest of YA leanings. A load of very transparent modern parallels that feel really out of place in the setting as presented so far. It's post-series, though, so I can forgive it some. He actually wrapped up and started a new series set in the same world (I've only read the first of that one but its also good). Someone must've convinced him to return to the first series. Bestseller dollars, maybe? Still solid, though.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby Itxi » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:56 am

My favourite book so far has to be life of pi, still haven't seen the film, and kind of don't want to because I feel it wouldn't do the book justice. It just caught me completely off-guard
Itxi
Hero

Postby Whiteagle » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:42 pm

Itxi wrote:My favourite book so far has to be life of pi, still haven't seen the film, and kind of don't want to because I feel it wouldn't do the book justice. It just caught me completely off-guard

He was the TIGER THE WHOLE TIME!!!
Whiteagle
Mega Blok

Postby Zupponn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:43 pm

I've always had a soft spot for Zero-G-Jugs.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Tzan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:52 pm

I red a book.

Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Itxi » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:52 am

Whiteagle wrote:
Itxi wrote:My favourite book so far has to be life of pi, still haven't seen the film, and kind of don't want to because I feel it wouldn't do the book justice. It just caught me completely off-guard

He was the TIGER THE WHOLE TIME!!!

...or was he? :mystery:
Itxi
Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion