Books Thread

You know, whatever

Moderators: Almighty Benny, Blitzen, Silent-sigfig

Re: Books Thread

Postby Whiteagle » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:20 pm

Itxi wrote:
Whiteagle wrote:
Itxi wrote:My favourite book so far has to be life of pi, still haven't seen the film, and kind of don't want to because I feel it wouldn't do the book justice. It just caught me completely off-guard

He was the TIGER THE WHOLE TIME!!!

...or was he? :mystery:

Yeah, that's where my father (who was listening to the book on CD) and I went "Da Fuq?!"
Whiteagle
Mega Blok

Postby Lord Trionx » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:00 pm

I like a lot of Gaiman's written stuff, but I can see why people wouldn't like him. American Gods was really good though, and the latest thing I read from him. (Only novel I've read in a while too...)

A really good sci-fi book worth picking up is Robopocalypse, about a robot uprising based on real-world robotics research. It focuses more on the robot's thought processes than the human rebellion, and has a lot of clever ideas in it. (It takes the robots about a year and a half before they build models that can reach humans living in the forest, since all the original robots are made for flat streets and floors.)
Lord Trionx
Champion

Postby stubby » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:59 am

Lord Trionx wrote:I like a lot of Gaiman's written stuff, but I can see why people wouldn't like him. American Gods was really good though, and the latest thing I read from him.

American Gods is his least worst book because of the shitty twist at the end. Not to spoiler it or anything, but you discover that the reason that every single character in the book is such a shitty paper-thin cardboard cutout archetype isn't because he sucks so badly at writing characters with any depth, it's because they really were shitty cardboard cutout archetypes all along rather than people. It's kind of genius in a way, recognizing his disabilities as a writer and building a whole novel around the idea of "no seriously I was doing it on purpose the whole time."
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Lord Trionx » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:05 am

stubby wrote:
Lord Trionx wrote:I like a lot of Gaiman's written stuff, but I can see why people wouldn't like him. American Gods was really good though, and the latest thing I read from him.

American Gods is his least worst book because of the shitty twist at the end. Not to spoiler it or anything, but you discover that the reason that every single character in the book is such a shitty paper-thin cardboard cutout archetype isn't because he sucks so badly at writing characters with any depth, it's because they really were shitty cardboard cutout archetypes all along rather than people. It's kind of genius in a way, recognizing his disabilities as a writer and building a whole novel around the idea of "no seriously I was doing it on purpose the whole time."

Isn't that something you realize in the first couple pages? Mr. Wednesday is pretty obviously Odin just from the name alone, it's not exactly hidden if you know your mythologies.

I do agree though, AG does play off his tendency to write archetype characters by making them literal archetype characters. It works well in this book, but most of his others it feels like they all are the same. I like that kind of writing, but I tend to space out what I read by him so I don't get sick of him fast. I've never read any of his comic stuff (just never got around to it) but he does seem more suited for comics than novels. Has he done anything besides sandman? I think my dad might have some Batman by him...

(He actually stopped by my hometown last summer during his latest book tour. He's a pretty cool guy in person, I never got a chance to meet him up close since the line for book signings was literally 2000 people long in a town with 10000 in it.)
Lord Trionx
Champion

Postby Ross_Varn » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:42 pm

Neil Gaiman's comparable to Joss Whedon for me, where at a certain point you recognize their name on something and realize that they've been involved with a good portion of the creative works you've enjoyed throughout your life. Gaiman's level of popularity is easily relatable to a larger group of people, as well- not everyone's constantly looking to be challenged through media. I definitely get that criticism of him, but Good Omens is just a good book to recommend to people.

Speaking of comics- and a certain creator- Watterson did an interview for the comic documentary Stripped. If you know anything of his recent exploits, you'll know that we haven't heard from him in years, and he hasn't publicized any artwork for longer than that...

Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby stubby » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:51 pm

Lord Trionx wrote:Isn't that something you realize in the first couple pages? Mr. Wednesday is pretty obviously Odin just from the name alone, it's not exactly hidden if you know your mythologies.

You realize that some of the characters are incarnated archetypes. You don't necessarily figure out that
Spoiler: show
the main character and everyone else is also.

Lord Trionx wrote:(He actually stopped by my hometown last summer during his latest book tour. He's a pretty cool guy in person, I never got a chance to meet him up close since the line for book signings was literally 2000 people long in a town with 10000 in it.)

Yeah, he's definitely a cool guy. I just hate his writing.

Ross_Varn wrote:Neil Gaiman's comparable to Joss Whedon for me, where at a certain point you recognize their name on something and realize that they've been involved with a good portion of the creative works you've enjoyed throughout your life.

Yeah, but you also get to recognize their shortcomings. Like a new Joss Whedon movie comes out, I know it's going to largely focus on a so-called "strong female character" who's really just a fighting fucktoy written in as masturbational fodder for the fanboys, and the character motivations and will tend to revolve around casual sexual assault as a lazy plot convenience.

Ross_Varn wrote:I definitely get that criticism of him, but Good Omens is just a good book to recommend to people.

There's an appendix at the end of Good Omens in which they talk about which characters were written mostly by Gaiman and which were written mostly by Pratchett, and then you realize why you enjoyed some parts of the book while others could have been improved by deleting them entirely.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Silverdream » Fri May 02, 2014 3:19 am

Just finished Metro 2033 and it was fantastic. I thought it lagged at certain parts, but overall it was a really good read.

Also, the ending was great.

Also, I'm surprised Battle Royale wasn't mentioned in this thread already. In concept it's kind of like the Hunger Games, but both authors take it in different directions, and I feel they both do it justice. I would say that Battle Royale is better overall though.

mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby samuelzz10 » Fri May 02, 2014 4:27 pm

I finished reading David Lee Roth's autobiography, it's really good. But you should probably know, it's not written in a chronological fashion, most chapters are random stories or several stories based around a single subject (and the those chapters are really long, the chapter about his travels is about 30 pages long) but the entire book is really good. Between the longest chapters are things like poems and short stories that don't really mean anything that are also very short, there are times where across 2 pages there are 4 chapters.

You can't buy the book new anymore, as it went out of print a while back, but it's still pretty cheap on Amazon. I recommend it.
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby IVhorseman » Fri May 02, 2014 5:27 pm

30 pages does not a long chapter make. Does it have pictures accompanying the text, or is it one of those books where the pictures are all in a separate insert in the middle?
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby samuelzz10 » Fri May 02, 2014 7:20 pm

IVhorseman wrote:30 pages does not a long chapter make. Does it have pictures accompanying the text, or is it one of those books where the pictures are all in a separate insert in the middle?

Pictures in the middle, and compared to the relatively short chapters the 30 page ones are really long.
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby Vami IV » Sat May 03, 2014 2:29 pm

I would have to say my favorite was the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
Tzan wrote:
Vami_IV wrote:Rules:
You must use only medieval pieces.

The Lego briks must have been manufactured between the 5th to the 15th century.

Vami IV
Mega Blok

Postby Duerer » Sat May 03, 2014 2:44 pm

The last book I've read was Fahrenheit 451 by Rad Bradbury. Compared to other books I had to read for school, that one was actually very good.
Duerer
Hero

Postby Battlegrinder » Sat May 03, 2014 4:19 pm

Duerer wrote:The last book I've read was Fahrenheit 451 by Rad Bradbury. Compared to other books I had to read for school, that one was actually very good.

I never really liked the books we got assigned for school reading. They always seem to be some extremely dull examination on society's flaws (from about 30 or 40 years ago, to boot), rather than anything relevant to what's going on now. The increasing vacuousness of TV is an issue, but I think we lost the fight as soon as Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo got on the air, whereas something like how readily we've given up freedoms for the (illusion of) security in the post 9/11 era is both relevent now and much more pressing. But that never comes up, and now I'm going off on one of rants again.

I just finished going through the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson, and I really enjoyed it. It was nice to find a fantasy series where the author was willing to embrace some of the cliches of the genre, but also put his own unique spin on the concept. The best part of it is, Sanderson is going to be writing more books set on the same world, but separated by hundreds of years of time so technology and culture will advance throughout the series (he's already started working on a old-west era side novel or two), which is awesome because I love that kind of setting and plot. I've heard the next part of the series will be set in a modern day setting, following a mage SWAT team. Tell me that doesn't sound awesome!

Now, if only he'd hurry up and write those other books.....

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby Zupponn » Sat May 03, 2014 8:05 pm

I was at one time really into the Dirk Pitt adventures by Clive Cussler. They got really good and peaked right at the book Atlantis Found, then proceeded to go downhill from there.

The Hunt For Red October by Tom Clancy was really good too.
Zupponn
No Lego part truly dies
No Lego part truly dies

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion