Let's Talk About Pot

You know, whatever

Moderators: Almighty Benny, Blitzen, Silent-sigfig

Postby pesgores » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:00 pm

WHY DO PEOPLE NEED DRUGS (except for medicating themselves)?!
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby Warhead » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:02 pm

in other words everything in moderation. of course that moderation ahs slightly different amounts

Yes, but if you can't control yourself what can you control.

Drinks my only vice, I started at the age of 18 but could have sooner if I wanted to. I usually stop drinking when the tip of my nose feels slightly numb. I don't know if that translates well to others but it works for me. However, sometimes the conversation is good and I have a taste for the beer.
I have never tried anything else but alcohol and hate smoking (one dead parent and one almost due to same) I think I shy away from pot more because of the smoking thing not the legality issues. I refused drugs in my teens mostly because when I was 14 I had to beat a friend up pretty badly to stop him from snuggling his girlfriend while screwed up on a mix of who the hell knows. Funny but I met the same guy in the cells when I joined the Police on my first week. Who'da thunk it?
Last edited by Warhead on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby pesgores » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:03 pm

I'd totally risk my life to feel high or something. I'd rather get a LEGO overdose.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby Warhead » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:22 pm

Have you ever had a good day where you feel warm inside and content, relaxed and good about yourself? Well, drugs or drink can't give you that. So you're right Pes. You gotta' find that for yourself. Sometimes it's just talking about a load of tosh with some good mates. So you would go to the pub and talk with your friends and maybe even speak to girls, aya corumba! Madre Mia! Roleplay and Tabletop Battles is like the pub without so much of the drink (and usually girls but not always, respectful bow to Natalya and Blitzen). In-between the gaming and pizza and ok, odd drink there is a lot of talking and carrying on like Bonn-o-Tron. It's always good for a laugh but I don't need to go to a pub or get Wellied to enjoy myself with my pals.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby pesgores » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:36 pm

Amen.
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby Almighty Benny » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:30 pm

NatalyaAF wrote:Fuck, even video games can ruin lives when used in excess. I used to be addicted to the computer back in middle school and high school.

Right on, Natalya

I was far more addicted to World of Warcraft than I have ever been addicted to weed, and I can say that with absolute certainty.

While smoking marijuana, I've had more friends, gotten better grades, and been in better shape than at any point during my 2-year WoW addiction back in high school

Actually, when I started smoking on a semi-regular basis, my GPA shot up a full point and has stayed up ever since. Just saying...

Warhead wrote:Have you ever had a good day where you feel warm inside and content, relaxed and good about yourself? Well, drugs or drink can't give you that.

Actually, weed does that for me, which is one of the reasons why I like it so much. I really see it as a completely different animal than alcohol. Alcohol is a depressant, caffeine is a stimulant, but marijuana is a hallucinogen
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...
Almighty Benny
Galidor

Postby OneEye589 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:43 pm

I guess I just don't see the pressing importance of legalizing something like that. I agree it is stupid that so many people are in jail for using weed, but those are the people who stockpile it in their homes. How many people are going to be arrested and put in jail for having a few joints on them?

I will title all of these sections so no one says TL;DR. You can read whatever part you want.

(Following the law)
I'm a fan of following the law. I don't care how stupid it is, if it's the law it's the law. Socrates talked about it in one of his dialogues, you live in a government with laws. They provide you with things and you keep them in line while you also provide them with things whiles they keep you in line. It's a system and it works. There are other ways of changing a law to make it so the things that you're doing that are illegal would not be illegal, then this wouldn't be an issue. I know that it has been tried, and some groups of people who like to stress family values would rather not have it.

But I know when I see a lot of people who start to say "Yea! Legalize weed," they are the people who would not get off their asses and do anything about the problem because they smoke weed all day and they're lazy.

(People who smoke weed)
Also, I know that most of the people I am familiar with around here don't do weed for a pass-time or because it's fun. They're the people who like to break the rules and they're doing weed to break the rules solely. I'm friends with a lot of people who smoke when they aren't around me (because I leave when people are doing that stuff) and they have just as much fun sober.

A lot of people just want to break the rules and that's why they do it. Do you think everyone who smokes weed now would do it as often if it were legal? Probably not. I know a few more people who would, but I know plenty of people who would stop if it were legal.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby Ranger S2H » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:01 pm

ok, everyone knows that here in holland marihuana is legal.
I must say, I don't have any problems with it. if people want to do so they can. the only problem I have is with the smoking part, as with tobacco, it ruins your lungs and those of the people around you. if I remember correctly, marihuana could also be put in cake or other mediums, in which case I have no problems at all, and might even try it.

in my experience, the biggest negative result of legalising pot in holland is what happened to the image of our country. when people think holland a lot of people immediately think of our drugs policy and no longer about the windmills, wooden shoes, tulips and protection against water.
Ranger S2H
Cannon Fodder

Location: deep in dimmy territory, fighting the hordes from the inside.

Postby Almighty Benny » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:11 pm

OneEye589 wrote:I guess I just don't see the pressing importance of legalizing something like that. I agree it is stupid that so many people are in jail for using weed, but those are the people who stockpile it in their homes. How many people are going to be arrested and put in jail for having a few joints on them?

New York City alone has jailed over 400,000 people in the last ten years for possessing small amounts of weed equivalent to "a few joints". This costs taxpayers $90 million to $100 million or more per year.

OneEye589 wrote:I'm a fan of following the law. I don't care how stupid it is, if it's the law it's the law. Socrates talked about it in one of his dialogues, you live in a government with laws. They provide you with things and you keep them in line while you also provide them with things whiles they keep you in line. It's a system and it works.

You're thinking of "The Republic", which I read a few years ago. The point of that dialogue was simply to find a definition of true justice. In his pursuit of said definition, Socrates describes what he would consider a "perfectly just city", which is basically as authoritarian as possible. In fact, the others spend like half the book telling him that it's the kind of city nobody would ever want to live in because nobody has any sort of personal freedom whatsoever. Socrates even admits that they're right, but that he's only devising a metaphor to help him explain justice.

What I'm talking about is the opposite, I want to take advantage of the fact that I have personal freedom to engage in a harmless activity that makes me happy and doesn't hurt anyone.

This is the kind of thinking that is the major reason why marijuana is still illegal. If someone takes a weed that naturally grows out of the ground and smokes it, and then spends the afternoon eating cheetos and playing Super Smash Brothers, what crime have they committed that should be punishable by a prison sentence?

OneEye589 wrote:Do you think everyone who smokes weed now would do it as often if it were legal? Probably not. I know a few more people who would, but I know plenty of people who would stop if it were legal.

What would be so bad about less people smoking weed?
Almighty Benny
Galidor

Postby OneEye589 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:22 pm

I didn't know that many people were jailed for just that, lame.

And I also know it's lame that I really think that laws are not made to be broken and that personal freedom should be used justly, but f you want to use your personal freedom to do something that's illegal, I think the personal freedom should be used to make it legal first. And thank you for the name of the dialogue, The Republic. I hated reading it, but I liked the idea.

Almighty Benny wrote:What would be so bad about less people smoking weed?

I wasn't saying it was a bad thing, I was just talking about people being hypocrites and how many people do things to either break the rules solely or never work off of what they want.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby IVhorseman » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:24 pm

pesgores wrote:WHY DO PEOPLE NEED DRUGS (except for medicating themselves)?!

Cause they're all dank.

Also I'm gonna request that this get moved to the "Threads that are dumb" forum.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Almighty Benny » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:29 pm

OneEye589 wrote:I was just talking about people being hypocrites and how many people do things to either break the rules solely or never work off of what they want.

Well you're definitely right about that, which is why I made sure to join the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws before I started trying to tell people what to think

I totally agree that personal freedom should be used proactively, rather than just as an excuse to continually break the law, but consider this: I would have never known that I wanted it to be legal if I hadn't tried it first and liked it

I didn't actually try alcohol or weed until I went to college, and I have to admit, I was pretty opinionated about them back in high school. Once I tried them, though, my opinion about them completely changed

IVhorseman wrote:Also I'm gonna request that this get moved to the "Threads that are dumb" forum.

seconded, although this is one of the dumb threads that I will still probably follow
Almighty Benny
Galidor

Postby OneEye589 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:59 pm

Almighty Benny wrote:I totally agree that personal freedom should be used proactively, rather than just as an excuse to continually break the law, but consider this: I would have never known that I wanted it to be legal if I hadn't tried it first and liked it

I didn't actually try alcohol or weed until I went to college, and I have to admit, I was pretty opinionated about them back in high school. Once I tried them, though, my opinion about them completely changed

Oh, I totally understand that. I don't think that doing pot every now and then is a bad thing, just not enough for you to really get in trouble. I don't know the specifics of the stats you said before, but I'm going to say that it's safe to assume that the people sent to jail for just a bit of marijuana were doing some other crap, too. If that's not the case, I think it's pretty stupid to leave your house with it where you could be caught.

If you use it wisely, fine, go for it. It's just not my thing and I don't see the pressing need for it to be legal.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby Funky Weasel » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:28 pm

OneEye589 wrote:If you use it wisely, fine, go for it. It's just not my thing and I don't see the pressing need for it to be legal.

Correct, there is no pressing need. But it should be part of the social agenda because there are enough people that partake and/or feel strongly about it. Prohibition is a far from ideal solution because it promotes ignorance and criminal exploitation.

In an ideal society it would not need to be illegal - there would be no need for the state to protect us from potentially harmful influences because we would be mature enough both as individuals and as a society to make informed decisions. Sadly this enlightened state is many generations away.

Why do people 'need' drugs? An excellent question. Sometimes altering your chemical state can open new doors, new possibilities. Bill Hicks had some choice and extremely colourful words on the matter. Occasionally I wonder that there may be a need on a social level for mind and/or mood altering drugs (including tobacco and alcohol).
CONGRATULATIONS - you just WON The Game FOREVER. Or you can carry on being a humourless nugget - your call.
TROLOLO
Funky Weasel
Officer

Postby Natalya » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:10 pm

The pressing need is to get rid of associated gang violence and to release people from jail. Because of the War of Drugs America has been left with the largest prison population in the world. We have a full 1% of our population at the mercy of the prison industrial complex. I think that any time you have 1 in 100 people in jail you need to re-think a lot of things. Especially when companies make money for putting people in jail. Most prisons are now privately owned, so the more prisoners there are the more money these corporations get, the more people are jailed for non-violent crimes such as posession. Over 750K people were arrested in 2005 for posession of Marijuana. That's nearly a million people. It's ridiculous.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion