Classes

You know, whatever

Moderators: Almighty Benny, Blitzen, Silent-sigfig

Classes

Postby OneEye589 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:49 am

Okay, so we have a lot of people either in high school or at universities on this site and I thought it would be neat if we shared what classes we were taking and stuff. Today is my first day of my fourth semester at SUNY Oswego and I'm taking:

Introduction to Computer Design
Drawing I
Introduction to Music Theory
Biology
Honors Interpretation of the Arts
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby The Shadowscythe » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:40 am

Heh, in that case -

During school my course specialities where graphic design, design technology (the first being more artsy fartsy - the second being more archetecually based) and double science.

During my first bout of college (being british college is from 16-18 and is a pre-university area of education) I took an AS level in english, which i failed - a BTEC in Information and Computing Technology and a GNVQ in Art and Design and then went into work for two years.

After my bout of cancer during that time (which I beat into the ground with much gusto) I returned to education and took AS and A2 level Media and English Intensively (four years worth of courses in one) and came out with A stars across the board - which gave me more than enough credits to enter into university as a mature student with exemplary credits.

Now I'm in my second year of university in the University of Wales Lampeter - doing media production, with my main focus on 2d and 3d animation, CGI technology and green screen - the eventual hope is that at the end of this academic year, I will have produced a 5 minute live action short that includes both CGI spacecraft and mecha - along with Live action footage shot on both a DV camcorder, and using studio green screen technology with chroma-keying.

And uhh, yeah XD I have a list of qualifications as long as my arm already, and I'm only 22! I'm planing to shoot a half hour film (already!) for my dissertation to improve on the things I've already started to plan out - and then carry onto a Masters degree on those specialities I listed above.

I can haz educationz? yes?
Last edited by The Shadowscythe on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler: show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.
The Shadowscythe
The Brikwars Trickster God.

Postby Zahru II » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:43 am

Yay, then allow me to introduce you how education works in secondary grammar schools in Hungary, on my last year:

Hungarian Literature
Hungarian Grammar
English
French/German
History
Maths
Philosophy
P.E.
Biology

before last year, I also had:
Physics
Chemistry
Art
Music
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby dilanski » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:05 pm

i'm doing GCSE

Triple science
electronics
product design
history (inspiration for Brikwars)

and that's it, triple science eats up your options like hell.
ImageImage
o/
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Subjugated Ireland

Postby Magic Soap » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:20 pm

dilanski wrote:I'm doing GCSE

Triple science
electronics
product design
history (inspiration for Brikwars)

and that's it, triple science eats up your options like hell.

I thought Science was a core subject. :?
I'm in year 9, but my GCS£s are:
Triple Science (Higher)
Maths (Higher)
Magic Soap
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Tzan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:29 pm

I have no class.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby muffinman42 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:43 pm

Mainly standard year 9, other than triple science (going up to B3,C3 and P3)
for GCSE i've picked; geography, resistant materials and ITC.
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby Warhead » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:45 pm

Tzan wrote:I have no class.

:lol:

Yeah, but you've got style.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Arkbrik » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:15 pm

Spanish
Drama
Creative writing
Latin
Film knowledge
Art
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby Ross_Varn » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:26 pm

Algebra
Geometry
German
Music
English
Writing
Newspaper
Aviation
Rocketry

Not that bad, but still a good workload.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Nitewatchman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:42 pm

Half a day of high school, half a day of college.

Classes:
World History
Environmental Science
Senior English
Transition to College Math
LUNCH
Mon/Wed - PC Systems Troubleshooting
Tue/Thur - Network Fundamentals
Friday - IT Project Management Tools or something dapper like that.
Silverdream wrote:MOST UNLIKED BY SILVERDREAM
Nominees
-Nitewatchman
-Blitzen
-muffinman42
-Vami IV

WINNER: Nitewatchman
Nitewatchman
Galidor

Postby OneEye589 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:06 pm

What the hell is GSCE and triple science? My high school was a small public school, so we didn't have much of a choice in classes, only the core classes for each subject every year and then we could choose one art or technology class. Junior and senior year of high school we got to pick between the regular core classes or taking higher levels of the basic courses, but they counted as college credits through the local college.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby piltogg » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:06 pm

Chemistry
Creative writing
2d art
lunch
German III
World Areas (middle east)
Algebra II

yup.. american education pretty much sucks, but not much different than anywhere else I suppose.
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby MasterEcabob » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:23 pm

Spanish IV
Calculus BC
Military History (taught by badass retired Col)
English IV (aka Graduation Project)

Seven+ period schedules suck, four period block is the way to go.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!
MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Postby The Shadowscythe » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:28 am

OneEye589 wrote:What the hell is GSCE and triple science? My high school was a small public school, so we didn't have much of a choice in classes, only the core classes for each subject every year and then we could choose one art or technology class. Junior and senior year of high school we got to pick between the regular core classes or taking higher levels of the basic courses, but they counted as college credits through the local college.

GCSE is the standard UK grading system - we all take our GCSE's (Or "O" levels in the case of Warhead - I think) at the age of 16 when we finish school.

School in the UK is odd compared to the US system - so I'll just give you a brief.

We can start as young as 2 with Nursery - which is the equivalent of you're Kindergarden (which If i remember right, starts at 7)

That continues up until junior school - which starts at age 5 - and then continues up until the age of 11, these years in the school system are known as "Years" One through six respectively.

After that - You move up to secondary school - which I think is the equivalent of you're High school - and thats from age 11 to 16. During this time - for the first three years (up until whats known as Year nine - yep they continue counting up) all students take standard course modules, english, maths, science, the works - and for the last two, we pick our own modules, In my case - Art and Design, Design Technology and Double Science (which is double the work of regular science for double the grade - take a wild guess at triple science :P ) and we take standardised examinations in every subject at the end of this period, aged 16. These exams are known as "GCSE's"

After this, things get fuzzy - you can either

- Continue into a "Sixth form" which is basically another two years of school.
- Continue into "College" which you can carry on with right up until you're 21 - and in some cases, even older - and is a more subject centric system, usually focusing on two to four "Core" classes a week in you're chosen subject.
- Go directly into work.

At any point, after the age of 18 however, you can continue into University - which is the equivalent (of you're fuzzy terms) of college - a major educational institution which the students live in (in halls or dorms) for three years while working acedemially on a degree - and after that we can choose to either move into work, or continue onto a Masters degree (with another two years of learning, and a major skill under you're belt) and then into work - or onto a PHD - which would effectively make you a "Doctor" in the subject (not an actual medical doctor though - unless you took medicine as your educational path! :P ).

Long story short - we start earlier than most americans, we learn more intensively and with greater speed than most americans - and are classed as adults in the eyes of the law before most americans. Not to say that either system is right or wrong - But If I was in the american system - I would only have half of my qualifications that I have right now, and would be widely regarded as a college bum because I keep returning to education. :P
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler: show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.
The Shadowscythe
The Brikwars Trickster God.

Next

Return to General Discussion