Best school project ever

You know, whatever

Moderators: Almighty Benny, Blitzen, Silent-sigfig

Best school project ever

Postby Arkbrik » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:20 pm

For psychology class, we are to research the way toys portray males and females and how they affect gender stereotypes among kids. We can pick a specific toy store or a line of toys, and my choice is simple: LEGO.

The project will presented to the rest of the class with a shiny PowerPoint, which I need lots of cool pictures for. So if you ever wanted to show your MOCs to thirty Swedish teenagers, this is your chance. Don't worry about them having anything to do with the genus theme, I can probably work them in.

Also, if you have any particular thoughts on how Lego sets portray genders, then post them here.
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby Ross_Varn » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:17 pm

Well cool, an excuse to make a female hardsuit. I'll see what I can dig up and take really good pictures of- what's the time limit?
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby aoffan23 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:42 pm

Ross_Varn wrote:what's the time limit?

Also, I have a suggestion about the actual project: Lego reuses female heads a lot more than male heads, making them look more generic. They seem to put a lot more effort into male faces (even the two female Agents have the same face, what?)
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby Arkbrik » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:50 am

The project must be completed by May 5th.

I think you're right about the heads aoffan. And even when they differ, they all use lipstick and mascara.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby Magic Soap » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:49 am

You could also look back at the proto-figs, and how LEGO® simply gave them different headwear.
Magic Soap
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby razgriz 25th inf. » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:10 pm

in some sets, the women are always the ones getting rescued, because of the general thought (i'm guessing) that women are too weak to defend themselves.
"If you fuck a clone of yourself, is it incest or masturbation?" - my best friend

Being a Knight of Space is hard work. Nobody else could land so many hot people and still be coherent.

razgriz 25th inf.
Galidor

Postby lele0124 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:31 pm

woooow, so coool , thanks for sharing~
I am an adbot
TROLOLO
lele0124
God of BrikWars

Postby razgriz 25th inf. » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:35 pm

hey I said I'm guessing. it was the only thing i could think of that someone did'nt already say. besides, if you're gonna been an asshole about the whole thing (which there's no point considering this is the internet) you should just leave now before you post again.
"If you fuck a clone of yourself, is it incest or masturbation?" - my best friend

Being a Knight of Space is hard work. Nobody else could land so many hot people and still be coherent.

razgriz 25th inf.
Galidor

Postby aoffan23 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:46 pm

razgriz 25th inf. wrote:in some sets, the women are always the ones getting rescued, because of the general thought (I'm guessing) that women are too weak to defend themselves.

Keep in mind, LEGO is mostly a child-oriented product, and the action-y sets (agents, power miners, atlantis, last wave of bionicle, pirates, PoP) outnumber the advanced sets (creator, cafe corner) pretty badly. Children don't get the whole "making women seem weaker" thing, it's just simpler to go with the classic scenario that's been around forever. I think this is the kind of thing that's sexist to some audiences, but not to other (most kids don't even know what sexism is).
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby Ross_Varn » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:50 pm

Also, keep in mind, the sets you are talking about that are centered around rescuing a heroine are actually franchise sets. There's a bit of a difference there.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby razgriz 25th inf. » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:52 pm

like i said, I'm guessing. it was a suggestion because i could'nt think of anything else someone did'nt already say. i knew it was a weak argument the moment i posted it. it was just a fall back thing if you know what i mean.

razgriz 25th inf.
Galidor

Postby Ross_Varn » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:05 am

RETREAT! They know what we are thinking!

Nah, it's fine Rag, you have a good point.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Arkbrik » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:28 am

aoffan23 wrote:
razgriz 25th inf. wrote:in some sets, the women are always the ones getting rescued, because of the general thought (I'm guessing) that women are too weak to defend themselves.

Keep in mind, LEGO is mostly a child-oriented product, and the action-y sets (agents, power miners, atlantis, last wave of bionicle, pirates, PoP) outnumber the advanced sets (creator, cafe corner) pretty badly. Children don't get the whole "making women seem weaker" thing, it's just simpler to go with the classic scenario that's been around forever. I think this is the kind of thing that's sexist to some audiences, but not to other (most kids don't even know what sexism is).

This is what the project is all about. If the toys have the scenario "man saves woman from danger" over and over again, then that will create the subconscious idea in the children's mind that women needs to be protected by men. Even if the children don't know what sexism is, they can still develop sexist values.

Ross_Varn wrote:Also, keep in mind, the sets you are talking about that are centered around rescuing a heroine are actually franchise sets. There's a bit of a difference there.

Not the Skeleton Tower (castle) or Speedboat Rescue (agents).
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby Warhead » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:57 am

Just because the sets are sold in that light does not mean the people who buy them all play with them that way.

Not that long ago I recall there was a question on another thread about how many Heroes in Forum Armies seemed to be female. I think they were trying to say there are some confused sexualities out there but even still people, me included do tend to have female Heroes, without regard for them needing rescuing. I may be naive but surely that's a good thing?

EDIT: For this topic please ignore my sig, dum, de, dum... *cough*
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Arkbrik » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:07 am

Well, when I talked about the female heroes thing I just thought it was a little odd that so many armies with 90+% men have one of the few women as commanders. I didn't have any deeper point.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Next

Return to General Discussion