You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Postby Warhead » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:14 am

Ok, is cool. Probably my own insecurities then. :lol:
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby razgriz 25th inf. » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:01 pm

its ok ross, i rarely keep grudges unless they have physically hurt my body or such. were cool. :D
"If you fuck a clone of yourself, is it incest or masturbation?" - my best friend

Being a Knight of Space is hard work. Nobody else could land so many hot people and still be coherent.

razgriz 25th inf.
Galidor

Postby stubby » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:49 pm

razgriz 25th inf. wrote:
lele0124 wrote:woooow, so coool , thanks for sharing~

hey I said I'm guessing. it was the only thing I could think of that someone did'nt already say. besides, if you're gonna been an asshole about the whole thing (which there's no point considering this is the internet) you should just leave now before you post again.

Ha ha, you got fooled by an adbot's canned post.

Also, there's no mystery about the women commanders thing. Kids tend to use the rarest figs for their heroes, and, because of the smurfette design of lego sets, women are always the rarest.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Magic Soap » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:12 pm

Warhead wrote:Just because the sets are sold in that light does not mean the people who buy them all play with them that way.

Not that long ago I recall there was a question on another thread about how many Heroes in Forum Armies seemed to be female. I think they were trying to say there are some confused sexualities out there but even still people, me included do tend to have female Heroes, without regard for them needing rescuing. I may be naive but surely that's a good thing?

EDIT: For this topic please ignore my sig, dum, de, dum... *cough*

Yeah, whenever I built a tower/rapunzel scene, she either tripped and fell or stabbed the brave knight in the chest.
Magic Soap
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby razgriz 25th inf. » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:54 pm

stubby wrote:
razgriz 25th inf. wrote:
lele0124 wrote:woooow, so coool , thanks for sharing~

hey I said I'm guessing. it was the only thing I could think of that someone did'nt already say. besides, if you're gonna been an asshole about the whole thing (which there's no point considering this is the internet) you should just leave now before you post again.

Ha ha, you got fooled by an adbot's canned post.

Also, there's no mystery about the women commanders thing. Kids tend to use the rarest figs for their heroes, and, because of the smurfette design of lego sets, women are always the rarest.

oh well, at least i didnt get all "STFU noob wtf do u no about this". even if i did get fooled, i dealt with it the right way.
"If you fuck a clone of yourself, is it incest or masturbation?" - my best friend

Being a Knight of Space is hard work. Nobody else could land so many hot people and still be coherent.

razgriz 25th inf.
Galidor

Postby aoffan23 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:38 pm

Arkbrik wrote:
aoffan23 wrote:
razgriz 25th inf. wrote:in some sets, the women are always the ones getting rescued, because of the general thought (I'm guessing) that women are too weak to defend themselves.

Keep in mind, LEGO is mostly a child-oriented product, and the action-y sets (agents, power miners, atlantis, last wave of bionicle, pirates, PoP) outnumber the advanced sets (creator, cafe corner) pretty badly. Children don't get the whole "making women seem weaker" thing, it's just simpler to go with the classic scenario that's been around forever. I think this is the kind of thing that's sexist to some audiences, but not to other (most kids don't even know what sexism is).

This is what the project is all about. If the toys have the scenario "man saves woman from danger" over and over again, then that will create the subconscious idea in the children's mind that women needs to be protected by men. Even if the children don't know what sexism is, they can still develop sexist values.

True, but LEGO isn't just oriented towards children, it's mostly young boys. (WARNING: the following points may be perceived as sexist by some people) The most obvious proof of this is the multiple girl-oriented themes that have been released over the years. Clickits, Belville, Paradisa, etc. Though I am saying this from personal opinion, I also have proof. In The LEGO Book released last year, they encompassed all the themes they've released since the start (at least I think all), and there's a two-page spread with the header "Especially For Girls". They don't have any "Especially For Boys" stuff, because the aforementioned action-y sets are targeted towards boys.

At a young age, boys tend to crave action, and girls tend to lean towards the more, well, girly stuff. I know this isn't always the case, but I've never seen a girl in a Hotwheels commercial, or a commercial for an action figure. Come to think of it, I've never seen a girl in a LEGO commercial either (whenever they show someone putting the set together in super-fast-motion).

And since they (in my opinion) are trying to get boys to buy the action-y sets, they want to include male leaders. This has been going on for a long time if you think about it. Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Star Trek, G.I. Joe, and even classic comic heroes like Superman, Batman, and weird penis (not necessarily targeted towards the same age group, but still kind of the same concept). I think the idea is to kind of give them role models.

Again, this is the way I see it, so you might not agree.

Also, feel free to make a tl;dr comment.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby Warhead » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 pm

The film genre sets just reflect the wider sexist issues that the films portray and can't solely be attributed to Lego or gender oriented toys. You'll end up going off topic that way.

I guess female Mini-Figs are more rare and this could be a very simple reason for Female Heroes but maybe some guys just like strong female characters, Buffy for example?..
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Tzan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:42 pm

There are no female Legos. They are really male Legos with lipstick and wigs.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Arkbrik » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:46 am

aoffan23 wrote:In The LEGO Book released last year, they encompassed all the themes they've released since the start (at least I think all), and there's a two-page spread with the header "Especially For Girls". They don't have any "Especially For Boys" stuff, because the aforementioned action-y sets are targeted towards boys.

This is also an issue - it implies that there are normal Lego builders, and then there are girls. It is also a way of saying that the girls can play with the toys on these two pink pages, and everything else is reserved for boys.

aoffan23 wrote:At a young age, boys tend to crave action, and girls tend to lean towards the more, well, girly stuff. I know this isn't always the case, but I've never seen a girl in a Hotwheels commercial, or a commercial for an action figure. Come to think of it, I've never seen a girl in a LEGO commercial either (whenever they show someone putting the set together in super-fast-motion).

The question here is: do boys crave action naturally, or because the society tells them that they should? The reason why they don't have girls in commercials is probably that boys who see it will think that the toy is only for girls. But I don't see why they couldn't have a boy and a girl in LEGO commercials, building the set together.

Warhead wrote:The film genre sets just reflect the wider sexist issues that the films portray and can't solely be attributed to Lego or gender oriented toys. You'll end up going off topic that way.

True. I'm not going to address the licensed themes in my project.
Remus: Harry... I'm a werewolf.
Harry: Are you fucking serious?
Remus: Well yes, but I don't see how that applies here.
Arkbrik
Pooplord

Postby Tuefish » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:52 am

Warhead wrote:Buffy for example?..

Nah, that's an isolated case, Joss Whedon is a feminist.
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back." -Malcolm Reynolds
TROLOLO
Tuefish
Dimmy

Postby Tzan » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:08 am

Tuefish wrote:
Warhead wrote:Buffy for example?..

Nah, that's an isolated case, Joss Whedon is a feminist.

Joss Whedon wears lipstick and a wig.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Warhead » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:26 am

Only because he's a mini-fig in drag.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Ogel96 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:43 am

BTW, they don't always put the woman in danger. Volcano base, for instance.
My doctor says I have an obsession with vengance. We'll just see about that
My 550th post was "JANE-FREAKIN-GOODALL".
I called the Ghostbusters in my 600th post.
Ogel96
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Cpt. Zipps » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:15 pm

DUDE, If Joss Whedon did something with legos that would kick-ass.

On a related note I am going to see Kick-Ass tonight.
Cpt. Zipps
Playmobil

Postby Magic Soap » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:08 pm

Tzan wrote:There are no female Legos. They are really male Legos with lipstick and wigs.

Would explain the whole "Every part is reusable! Just Imagine! & The possibilities are endless!" Stuff.
Magic Soap
Clown-Face Bologna

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion