QuikWars & Kids?

You know, whatever

Moderators: Almighty Benny, Blitzen, Silent-sigfig

QuikWars & Kids?

Postby morganm » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Anyone played QuikWars with kids 10 or younger? I'm thinking about using QuikWars to play some table top games with my kids. Reading over the rules; it seems simple enough but I was wondering if anyone had some real experience with QuikWars and kids.

Thanks!
morganm
Dimmy

Postby Zahru II » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:41 pm

As a personal experience, I wouldn't give anything to small kids that involve dice rolling. I was a cheating, whiny retard who always ended up thrashing the fun because I never rolled highs enough.

But surely kids are made of better material nowadays, so in a short: yes. It's good for starters.
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby Hoboman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:45 pm

I am using a slightly reduced set of rules for my six year old right now.

He is dealing with the dice just fine. Although I have made sure he does fine regardless of the dice t this point. :wink:

I would say the real question is how fast you add each concept in, measured movement, dice, etc.
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"
Hoboman
My Little Pony

Postby morganm » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:26 pm

Thanks for some feed back!

I was thinking of using all of the QuikWars rule set eventually but starting out easy... just using minifigs in a small skirmish. Then work up to Constructions, Controls, Vehicles, and Siege Weapons as we play more games.
morganm
Dimmy

Postby AdrianTheGeek » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:50 pm

When my little cousin complains about dice rolls, I just hit him. :D
Does james+burgundy love men? I'll let you decide.
james+burgundy wrote:nice parts
james+burgundy wrote:Think you can get me the guys number
james+burgundy wrote:O I was hoping he'd stay at my place
AdrianTheGeek
Cannon Fodder

Postby Ross_Varn » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:17 pm

Darth is friggin anal about dice rolls. He'll accuse me of cheating whenever I roll a six, and whine about not getting a reroll when it bumps something.

As such, I haven't had a game in a month. :P

I would go for it! Just be patient and let him have fun. That's it. I've successfully played some rather entertaining games with my little sister.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Elmagnifico » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:35 pm

Hey, at least your brother plays. I haven't played an IRL brikwar in upwards of a year now.
READTHEFORUMCODE!!!
Varsaavius wrote:As the size of the explosion increases, the amount of social situations it can't resolve approaches zero.
Elmagnifico
Mega Blok

Postby Ross_Varn » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:33 pm

Ok, make that three hours. I printed out the first edition Lego Wars and beat him up with a 3vs.3. It's rather entertaining to draw similarities between Brikwars and Lego Wars, and it gave me some ideas.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby morganm » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:46 pm

Well so far he loves it. We did two battles; one with castle armies and one with Star Wars armies. Picked up on the rules quick enough. First round we didn't use any siege weapons or vehicles and dabled with constructions. Second battle we used all of the QuikWars rules.

Both of us had a lot of fun. It was nice to bond over something besides video games =)
morganm
Dimmy

Postby Tzan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:18 pm

morganm wrote:Both of us had a lot of fun. It was nice to bond over something besides video games =)

I agree, some people just take the whole video game thing too far.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby razgriz 25th inf. » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:28 pm

its great to see that! i mean, playing Modern Warfare 2 with my dad is fun and all, but it doesn't compare to true battlefield mayham that you get with brikwars. it teachs you to build things at the highest level at that age, while having a lot of fun. legos are inspiring me to be a aeronautical engineer in the air force. hows that for a reson to do this? also, its good to see some new faces around on the forum. i havent said this yet, so i will say it now, welcome to the forums. it may feel awkward now, but you well get the feel of it. i mean im an '08 guy, very rare around here, but my post count doesn't even come close to warhead, whos an '09 guy. i'm just not available very often, but i can tell you, when you get used to it and know everyone, you kinda realize its like a family. a highly disfunctional family, yes, but a family. anyways, welcome to the forums. howdy ho! or something.
"If you fuck a clone of yourself, is it incest or masturbation?" - my best friend

Being a Knight of Space is hard work. Nobody else could land so many hot people and still be coherent.

razgriz 25th inf.
Galidor

Postby Lt. Krus » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:47 pm

My cous and I have been playin forever! He's accually beaten me and hes only 9 :shock:
Lt. Krus
Jaw-Jaw

Return to General Discussion