Warhead gets confused looking at new PC's

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Warhead gets confused looking at new PC's

Postby Warhead » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:43 am

At long last I tok a look at PC's and after dismissing the Netbook and Laptop for now, you gotta buy the basic programs and stuff and the price is just as bad as for a PC so fuck that shit. I liked the look of this particular PC.

Here is what I'm looking at that fits in with my budget. Can you tell me if it's fair enough. Will it work for the new Lego Universe for MiniWarhead too?

Packard Bell iXtreme 5622uk Tower PC
Intel Core i3 530 Processor
64-bit 2.93GHz, 4MB Cache
Genuine Windows (R) 7 Home Premium
3GB DDR3 Memory
640GB Hard Drive
Integrated Graphics
4 x Front, 4 Rear USB ports
Built-in wireless connectivity
Wireless Keyboard and mouse
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Apollyon » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:42 am

Hm, i am not an expert anymore but 3gb RAM does not seem to be much these days. And what i learned in my days is to avoid "integrated" graphic adaptors at all costs, especially when you want to play contemporary games. Also those adaptors often share their memory with the central memory which is a bad bad thing.
640gb hard drive is not that much either if you want to store music, photos & videos... Not much of a matter though as you can still buy an external hard drive later on like Bonn-o-Tron.

What's wrong with a laptop though? I got one a few months ago and i am quite happy with it. Takes less space than a desktop computer, you can use it in others places than home and the performance it alright as well since i tend to do professional work and a bit of retrogaming on it rather than play the latest fancy pansy gangster wannabe supersoldier 3D game .
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!
Apollyon
My Little Pony

Postby BFenix » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:39 am

Apollyon wrote:Hm, I am not an expert anymore but 3gb RAM does not seem to be much these days. And what I learned in my days is to avoid "integrated" graphic adaptors at all costs, especially when you want to play contemporary games. Also those adaptors often share their memory with the central memory which is a bad bad thing.
640gb hard drive is not that much either if you want to store music, photos & videos... Not much of a matter though as you can still buy an external hard drive later on like Bonn-o-Tron.

What's wrong with a laptop though? I got one a few months ago and I am quite happy with it. Takes less space than a desktop computer, you can use it in others places than home and the performance it alright as well since I tend to do professional work and a bit of retrogaming on it rather than play the latest fancy pansy gangster wannabe supersoldier 3D game .

I gotta agree with you about tech issues on this machine. I too would suggest you avoid integrated stuff or shared graphics cards.
About laptops, they come in handy like you say, but I think there is nothing like a desktop. Sure it takes space, but its usually cheaper then a laptop (this depending on hardware and software of course) and you can easily change parts in the future. This is harder, or sometimes even impossible to do in a laptop. Like consoles, they get obsolete and can't be upgraded...
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Paco » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:46 am

BFenix wrote: Like consoles, they get obsolete and can't be upgraded...

Then clearly you haven't heard of the Sega CD or 32X. :roll:
Tzan wrote:
Silverdream wrote:the link for a kingdom in turmoil leads to grave tidings.

Are you getting your ideas for posts from fortune cookies?
Paco
Jaw-Jaw

Postby The Shadowscythe » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:14 am

Avoid integrated graphics at all cost, also the RAM seems a little on the gimpy side, I wouldn't settle for anything with less than 4 gig or Ram today, and it would have to be capable of dual channeling (effectively making the Ram streamlined, thus it . . . "Goes faster") as for the processor is reasonable-ish. Not the best thing around, but it'l do.

The HD may be an issue later, but as its been mentioned - an extra or external Hard Drive will fix that problem fine.

Basically, try and find something along those lines, with an extra gig of Ram - and a Graphics card (I think a 512 meg card is rather cheap nowadays, but AIM for a Gig) rather than integrated graphics and you'll be all set.

-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler: show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.
The Shadowscythe
The Brikwars Trickster God.

Postby samuelzz10 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:15 am

Get a mac. alot of the features you'll need come on a mac so you don't need to buy them (Imovie, Iphoto, safari, and Icamera) Plus more. I recommend the 21.5" I mac for only $1,200. And yes, It is very fast. As for lego universe, It could run that with no problem.

P.S. It can also run microsoft.
Spoiler: show
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby Rody » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:57 pm

I actually dislike it when computers come with a lot of software when you buy them, much of it I will never use, and it takes up disk space that I might want.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Rody
My Little Pony

Re: Warhead gets confused looking at new PC's

Postby Tzan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Warhead wrote:
Packard Bell iXtreme 5622uk Tower PC
Intel Core i3 530 Processor
64-bit 2.93GHz, 4MB Cache
Genuine Windows (R) 7 Home Premium
3GB DDR3 Memory
640GB Hard Drive
Integrated Graphics
4 x Front, 4 Rear USB ports
Built-in wireless connectivity
Wireless Keyboard and mouse

Not sure if its "fair" since you didnt list the price.

Never liked Packard Bell. a friend had problems with them back in the '90s. So thats an OLD opinion that may not be true anymore. I buy Dell.

Processor / win 7 - ok
3 gb is fine for what you are doing.
640 gb is huge, I have a 600 and have only used 90gb in 6 months. I don't DL movies.
Integrated graphics is generally bad for games. So I can't say how Lego will run since your machine has a no specifications to compare
8 USB is good
Never had wireless so I have no opinion

My new machine from december cost $1240 and will play top of the line games for the next 4-5 years. The machine you listed will strain to play games from 3 years ago, (unless they were designed to work on low spec machines) It mostly depends on the graphics card.

Lego Min spec
"The low-end cards for each of the major manufacturers are:
NVidia GeForce FX 5700 (LE not included)
ATI Radeon 9600 (128MB and 256MB versions)
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 card. "

"Recommended"
NVIDIA 6800
ATI Radeon X800

The GF 6800 is the card in my machine from 2005 and it ran RedFaction Guerrilla (very demanding) last year at 10 fps Not great but it worked.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Warhead » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Thanks guys for all the info, it's all food for thought and now I know better what I should be looking for.

Warhead opinion of this Machine since this new data input and lots of ear bending from Shadowscythe and the lovely BrikWhore: This PC is a bag of dicks and only gets one Flaming Skull of approval. *sigh* back to the drawing board.

Now looking at this PC with some interest. http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/pc/range/realm.html
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Tzan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:39 pm

I was going to suggest a machine between $500-600. This new one is about $600 and will serve you well.

That machine you posted before seemed to be $350.

I bought a tv about 4 years ago. There were piles of HD flatscreens and maybe 3 models of tube tv. The flatscreens were around $800-1000. I bought a tube tv for $250. It did the job.

For computers you really do get what you pay for.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Warhead » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:55 pm

Excellent, that's good to hear, thanks Tzan.

Don't get me started on Tube TV vs. Flatscreen. IMO Tube TV screens (the good quality ones anyway) are better than any flatscreen as yet devised. Tube TV's will also last longer. The industry pushes Flatscreen to bump up price for a pile of can't hack it shit that wont last and so needs to be replaced. It's getting harder to find Tube TV screens now'a'days.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby Tzan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:13 pm

There are benchmark tests out there.
I reviewed some scores.

My current card 23,000
Your card about 8,000
My old GF 6800 less than 1000

So not the best but much better than my card from 2005. You could probably play "real games" with that card.

If you noticed, the target card for Lego Universe is the GF 6800 so you are way over that :)
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby naussica » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:16 pm

That's is good enough, it's much better then some of the deals I've seen. I just wish I was allowed to buy a computer myself, because my dad is a real penny pincher.
naussica
Jaw-Jaw

Postby aoffan23 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:31 pm

naussica wrote:That's is good enough, it's much better then some of the deals I've seen. I just wish I was allowed to buy a computer myself, because my dad is a real penny pincher.

Didn't you say you were 12? Why the fuck would you need your own computer?
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby Fulizer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:08 am

I've had my own computer since I was 7, i might've only had the internet for a year, and they may have been shit, but they were still computers
According to http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=814&game=Lego%20Universe the system requirements for LEGO universe are
Intel Processor - Pentium 4 3.0GHz
AMD Processor - Athlon 64 3200+
Nvidia Graphics Card - Geforce
RAM Memory - 1 GB
Hard Disk Space - 4.5 GB
Direct X - 9
so apart from the Processor (which really won't matter too badly, my computer can run games 0.3Ghz above it without too much delay) "Warhead Jr" can play LEGO universe without problems, and don't listen to other people telling you you need moar X or moar Y, their overbudgeted Consumer Whores.
TROLOLO
Fulizer
Cannon Fodder

Next

Return to General Discussion