Civil Wars, Patriotism and Pickup Trucks

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Civil Wars, Patriotism and Pickup Trucks

Postby jmatthew » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:24 am

I never had a desire in my life to own a truck, but when one sort of fell in my lap while I was in need of a mode of transportation, I sure as hell wasn't going to turn it down. I knew when I got it though that my truck was a different sort of truck. So many American truck drivers seem to feel some sort of "allegiance" to some sort of "rebel" faction from some sort of "war" that happened in this country a while ago. I'm not entirely sure what it was about, since it was at least twenty years ago, but I think it had to do with there not being enough slaves for everyone, so some people wanted to outlaw slavery because if they couldn't have slaves, goddamnit, no one could... or something to that effect... either way, it doesn't matter.
The point is, my truck and I don't really identify with our fellow redneck brothers on this point, but I did want my good ol' Burt Worthington to bear the colors of some faction, so I chose the only rebel faction that I truly identify with from the only civil war that I really know this history of.
Here's a pic of me and Burt with his new paint job. (He came with an already white passenger door which basically screamed to be painted on like Bonn-o-Tron.)

It took me a while to make the stencil, because I couldn't find my compass or protractor, and wanted to make it as geometrically symmetrical as possible. I also added twin silver stripes down the side of the truck that lead into the emblem, but I don't have pictures of the fully finished product because I'm a lazy fuck.
jmatthew
Cannon Fodder

Postby Warhead » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:40 am

The Farce is strong with this one...

I can just see a re-enactment of the Battle Of Yavin rolling down some busy highway with other Rebel Alliance and Imperial decaled cars all pranging each other through some busy rush hour traffic while the Star Wars soundtrack plays loudly.
Motherfucker!
Warhead
Blockguy

Postby jmatthew » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:42 am

One can only hope it will indeed come to that....
I've recently started carrying a lightsaber behind the seat. It accompanies a machete that I've been toting back there since I bought the truck, just in case the zombiepocolypse happens while I'm on the road.
jmatthew
Cannon Fodder

Postby Zahru II » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:59 am

Nice decal, if I'd ever have a car I'd put a decal on mine too...

The only question remaining is:

Autobot or Decepticon?
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby jmatthew » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:25 am

Thanks, but it's not a decal... I made a stencil and spray-painted it on like Bonn-o-Tron.

Also, I roll with the Autobots. Decepticons tend to be whiny bitches who never have any lasting victory anyway.
jmatthew
Cannon Fodder

Postby masterMISICK » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:36 am

How many parsecs can you do the Kessel run in.
If you get the joke then a big thumbs up to you.
I like to look my enemy in the face through a high powered sniper rifle 2 miles away

Sorry for my retarded inability to spell.
masterMISICK
Minifig

Postby jmatthew » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:35 am

Under twelve.

However, it's important to note that a parsec is a unit of distance measurement, not time. When Solo refers to making the Kessel Run in under twelve parsecs, he's talking about having found a route that shaves off distance (the Kessel Run is typically an 18 parsec route) by flying closer to the Maw black hole, not saying anything about how fast his ship is. It's funny though, because in the movie, it's definitely implied that he's using it as a unit of time measurement, and only later when physicists pointed out the error did George Lucas come up with an alternate explanation.
jmatthew
Cannon Fodder

Postby Ross_Varn » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:33 am

Kudos to you, fanboy. Please note that I intend to do this exact same thing when I get a white vehicle of any type. :wink:
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby doodstormer » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:23 am

What kind of paint did you use? I've been wanting to paint a killcount on my car and wasn't sure what kind wouldn't, well, melt off.
doodstormer
Cannon Fodder

Postby Tzan » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:26 am

jmatthew wrote:
However, it's important to note that a parsec is a unit of distance measurement, not time.
...in the movie, it's definitely implied that he's using it as a unit of time measurement

I would expect that everyone posting here would have already known that.

Those of you who didn't know that must hang their head in shame and hand in your nerdcard in the appropriate post.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby jmatthew » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:41 pm

doodstormer wrote:What kind of paint did you use? I've been wanting to paint a killcount on my car and wasn't sure what kind wouldn't, well, melt off.

Just regular old glossy spray paint. It's stood up to the harsh Michigan weather pretty well so far. The cans say it works on metal, and the fancy auto-specific spray paint was twice as expensive, which maybe I would have gotten if I sided with the affluent Empire, instead of the Rebel Alliance, who have a tendency to use worn out and stolen technology anyway.
jmatthew
Cannon Fodder

Postby aoffan23 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:01 pm

Zahru II wrote:Nice decal, if I'd ever have a car I'd put a decal on mine too...

The only question remaining is:

Autobot or Decepticon?

I was at my friend's house and we walked by a parked car outside. There was a Decepticon logo on the rear window. I started freaking out, and my friends just stared at me.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby Zahru II » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:55 pm

Who knows, maybe he's a headmaster D:

(for those who lack the nerdy knowledge: headmasters were tf-s whose heads' transformed int a small dude)
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby OREMAWESOME1234 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:21 pm

Im a decepticon kinda because I just prefer the badguys a bit more.
Id have a transforming humvee though
OREMAWESOME1234
Dimmy

Postby jmatthew » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:43 pm

Silverdream wrote:I'm Unicron.

I'm Unicorn.

jmatthew
Cannon Fodder

Next

Return to General Discussion