Looking to get into BrikWars, but don't own any Legos...

You know, whatever

Moderators: Almighty Benny, Blitzen, Silent-sigfig

Looking to get into BrikWars, but don't own any Legos...

Postby johnnyr » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:48 am

Hey guys,

I've always liked legos, but haven't had any for a few years. I'm looking to get into brikwars, and was wondering if you had any suggestions on getting started, as far as what sets to buy, etc.

Should I be looking at some of the Brick Boxes Lego Sells? Specific Sets? Ebay?

Thanks!
TROLOLO
johnnyr
Demi-God of BrikWars

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:49 am

Bricklink. That's all.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.
*CRAZYHORSE*
Playmobil

Postby johnnyr » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:51 am

*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:Bricklink. That's all.

I've looked at bricklink, But I'm confused on how it would help in buying a bulk set of bricks to get started. As far as I can tell, it's more for buying individual pieces? Perhaps I'm missing something?
TROLOLO
johnnyr
Demi-God of BrikWars

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:56 am

You find a stroe that a has a shit load of pieces (both different kinds as large quantities of one kinds). You then order what pieces and in which amount you want them. this is a lot cheaper then just buying lego sets.

it really depends on what genre you like for which lego sets you should buy.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.
*CRAZYHORSE*
Playmobil

Postby Alex » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:59 am

Bricklink is good for individual pieces and making custom armies, but as far as bulk pieces go, one thing you can do is look on the LEGO website under sales and deals. You can sometimes find stuff for 50% off if they're trying to get rid of it. Some deals I've gotten in the past include the viking chess set for $25 instead of $50 and the scorpion palace for $25 instead of $50. Sometimes you can also find deals in regular stores, so just keep your eyes peeled. As far as sets go, my recommendation would be to find stuff you like and start with that.
Alex
Dimmy

Postby Ogel96 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:59 am

I'd start with that mega brick box Like 450 for , then if you can, head to a lego store and try to get some grab bags (Not always available, they're overflow) Do a pick a brick cup or two for some specific parts, and If you just want minifigs fast, they have 50$ sets of Fantasy figs. Then, start getting into more specifics, for what you want 4 your army.
My doctor says I have an obsession with vengance. We'll just see about that
My 550th post was "JANE-FREAKIN-GOODALL".
I called the Ghostbusters in my 600th post.
Ogel96
Jaw-Jaw

Postby OneEye589 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:08 am

Also eBay for large amounts of just bulk bricks. You don't want to limit yourself to just sets, sometimes you just need a bunch of regular bricks and plates.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby muffinman42 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:23 am

buy sets. :lol:
Or go to car-boot sales and pick up BIG tubs for cheap off parents who have children that think their too "grown up" to be imaginative an create.
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby Silverdream » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:51 am

Garage sales, asking your friends for their legos, and ebay are the cheapest routes.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Moronstudios » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:05 pm

Silverdream wrote:Garage sales

Ha!
This does not work, believe me I have tried. Anyone who did have lego when asked said they were keeping it for when thier children grew old enough for it or their children had kids.
Though, last time i tried garage saleing for lego i found a neat guy who makes fork/spoon monsters.
Looking for Vancouver Island players: http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1194
Moronstudios
Mega Blok

Postby Silverdream » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:06 pm

Moronstudios wrote:
Silverdream wrote:Garage sales

Ha!
This does not work, believe me I have tried. Anyone who did have lego when asked said they were keeping it for when thier children grew old enough for it or their children had kids.
Though, last time I tried garage saleing for lego I found a neat guy who makes fork/spoon monsters.

Last garage sale I saw some kids who'd just bought several of the old star wars sets. The ones with the sandpeople.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby morganm » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:50 pm

Yard sales CAN be a good deal.... but don't hold out for them. My wife is an avid garage / yard saler... goes to several every week all summer for the last 10 years. Rarely finds any Legos and almost always they want near retail prices for random crap and missing parts. Last one we got was another Sponge Bob Crusty Crab set... that was the first good deal from a garage sale in the last 2 years... and it's not even a set I care about really =P The kids like it though!

I've actually seen some good deals on Craigslist but you gotta watch it like a hawk and be ready to jump on a deal that day. Seen quite a few times where people are selling random stuff by the pound or by the bag at fair prices. A few times seen bags of minifigs + accessories going for fair prices. They are gone quickly though! If you do your homework (find a set on Craigslist & look up what it's selling for elsewhere) then you can get some sets at a fair price as well. You really need to do your homework though because there's a lot of shit on there at or higher than retail prices.

I get most of my stuff from sets at retail prices. Sometimes pick up things on sale. I find the battle packs are a fair deal for a grip of minifigs, accessories, and a fair retail price. Again if you want to find stuff on sale you have to be vigilant... check often online... local stores... local Lego store... and be ready to buy when the sales hit because they go fast.

I usually end up paying retail prices because I'm not vigilant... I get the bug now and then, watch all of the online markets, see some good deals.... then get distracted with real life =P Most stuff we have is from birthday and Saturnalia presents for my kids. One year we had a Lego Saturnalia =) Kids bought me some sets and we bought the kids a bunch of sets.... ahh... twas a good Saturnalia =^.^=
morganm
Dimmy

Postby Hoboman » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:30 pm

I have had very mixed success on Craigs List., Yard Sales have been very limited for sure. I have had success just telling some folks I am gathering Lego "for my kid" and had some donations.

But th ebest deals so far have been ebay and bricklink. ebay is like digging for gold, you have to move a lot of junk first though.
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"
Hoboman
My Little Pony

Postby Bragallot » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:34 pm

If you don't own so many minifigs at first, make BLOKBOTS :)
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles
Silent-sigfig wrote:
motorhead fan wrote:Colette, why have they all got soup stains on they're coats

One characteristic of nerds is lack of hygiene
Bragallot
Blockguy

Postby naussica » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:21 pm

Bragallot wrote:If you don't own so many minifigs at first, make BLOKBOTS :)

:godwin:
naussica
Jaw-Jaw

Next

Return to General Discussion