General ignorance. I which we slag off people who don't know

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

General ignorance. I which we slag off people who don't know

Postby muffinman42 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:39 pm

I've recently found my self more and more annoyed on the web by people being ignorant of various things.

from them identifying every locomotive as being thomas the tank engine *Sees LMS Princess Royal* "OMG THOMASES!"
(The only time i'm going to agree with you is when you identify a 0-6-0T as thomas, though the illustrator drew a LBSCR E2)
Though worse than that is thinking that thomas is the main character(Gorden,Henry and Edward where the most prominent in the first book, and as the stories follow many engines equally there is no main).
I'm being serious, people think a side character introduced in the second book, as a station pilot, is important. That would be as if a character was introduced in series 2, as a car washer. and people though they where the central character from the start. :lol:
I know that in the last series of the TV adaption (6,7 and 8) they focus more on thomas. Luckyily it ended in 2004 before bad things happened to the series.(Yes. You can check yourself. past 2004 the series stopped existing. A lose clone started under a very similar name started but nothing else)

Also thinking Disney created Winnie the Pooh.
Who's real origin is as Christopher Robin Milne's toy and was written about by his father A. A. Milne. all characters except for Owl and rabbit are based on Christopher Milne's toys, some of his other books such as "When We Were Very Young" also feature both the bear and his son.
The location of the 100Acre wood is based on the 500Acre wood also known as Ashdown Forest (which I have played pooh sticks in, though not on the original bridge as that no longer exists: Instead it is replaced with one which resembles the illustrations more closely!)

These two and just being ignorant of laws of thermodynamics, not understanding the definition of a scientific theory(GRAVITY IS JUST A THEORY! GOD EXISTS BLAH!).
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby Tzan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:37 pm

I was just about to slag you off about your poor title and the fact that you are a train anorak about toy trains.

But you redeemed yourself with the "definition of a scientific theory" thing.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby OneEye589 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:11 pm

I'm pretty sure a 0-6-0T isn't Thomas, either. It doesn't have a face on it.

Thomas is the main character because the books and show are named after him. There are current stories that don't even include Thomas at all in them (stories about Toby, Mavis, or any of the lesser known characters).

These are things that people are allowed to be ignorant about I think (besides the whole theory/fact thing). So someone sees a train that looks like Thomas and says "Thomas!" Not everyone knows the tons of types of trains. Most people if you gave them two versions of Thomas, one of the original and one made from another train model, wouldn't be able to tell which one was the correct one. You expect them to relate it to a real train?

Winnie the Pooh. Hardly anyone reads kids books from the 20's and 30's anymore. What's more popular, the books or the Disney version of Pooh?
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby Ross_Varn » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:35 pm

OneEye589 wrote:Hardly anyone reads kids books from the 20's and 30's anymore.

...er...
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby stubby » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:38 pm

I'm disappointed that you are ignorant about how to complain about ignorance. This should be more like "I can't believe muffinman doesn't know that people think it's all about Thomas because that's the name of the show."
stubby
forum janitor

Postby OneEye589 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:09 pm

Ross_Varn wrote:

...er...

There are some, but how many picture books from that long ago do you think people could name? Obviously not Winnie The Pooh books.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby Silverdream » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:36 pm

Ross_Varn wrote:

...er...

Actually, Winnie the Pooh was one of the first books I was read to.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Ross_Varn » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:37 pm

The classics of that era persist, yeah.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby enders_shadow » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:16 pm

and maybe not picture books, but there are some books from that era that are certainly known and read *cough Great Gatsby cough*.
TROLOLO
enders_shadow
Playmobil

Postby Semaj Nagirrac » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:01 pm

I hate it when people still call a dead hooker a "Call Girl". They're all just hookers when they're dead.

Archer anyone?
Semaj Nagirrac
Dimmy

Postby Zupponn » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:01 am

I think I still have a bunch of the early nineties Thomas the Tank Engine trains and I remember them being extremely popular when they came out.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby BFenix » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:41 am

Zupponn wrote:I think I still have a bunch of the early nineties Thomas the Tank Engine trains and I remember them being extremely popular when they came out.

I don't. Back then I was too busy playing with Legos.
Image "Virando costas ao mundo, Orgulhosamente sós, Glória antiga, Volta a nós"
BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Hoboman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:55 am

Some of the 1920's and 1930's kids books I read and have read to my kids are: Babar, Madeline, The Little Red Hen, and The Voygages of Doctor Dolittle. I am sure there are others as well. :D
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"
Hoboman
My Little Pony

Postby muffinman42 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:49 am

OneEye589 wrote:I'm pretty sure a 0-6-0T isn't Thomas, either. It doesn't have a face on it.

Thomas is the main character because the books and show are named after him.

I'm sorry? the first book is "The three engines" book 1 of the railway series. He is NOT in the title, he is Not even in the book.
The show yes, but that annoys me as well, he's my pet pev of the entire series of books and the character that is the worst developed in my eyes.

Also YES Thomas IS an 0-6-0T. His first illustration is based on an LBSCR E2.
see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whyte_notation
So, yeah the face is irrelevant, his wheel arrangement is still correct.
LRN2COUNT!
I should hope "Normal" (as you called them) can COUNT TO 3! Lets count the number of drive axles thomas has! 1-2-3! YAY! WE ARE ABOVE NORMAL!
Now let's look at an 0-4-2T, NO not thomas. let's count! 1-2! And then a pair of trailing wheels. Which you can tell very clearly and visually by the lack of rods (similar to how i know that you don't walk on all fours because your arms aren't on the floor!)

The whole "people are idiots for not thinking this" is more directed at HIT, who terminated the show in 2004. Then when they tried to release a new series in which Thomas hauled every train on time and then saved the earth from being eaten by a giant space whale using the power of friendship; hell opened up and swallowed their entire studio.
Also thomas was the most popular with Rev.Andrey's son so he wrote more stories about him. I just find him as a character annoying and find it idiotic how suddenly he turned from a station pilot, to a mainline engine. This is never done. it's as if somebody brought a car from 1870's to a F1 race.
Last edited by muffinman42 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
muffinman42
Mega Blok

Postby Natalya » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:49 am

enders_shadow wrote:and maybe not picture books, but there are some books from that era that are certainly known and read *cough Great Gatsby cough*.

Omg I was waiting for this post. The Great Gatsby was so fucking stupid and is totally over-rated. Reading that book made me want to leave the beach. Gatsby should have gotten over that she didn't like him and realized that she was just a stupid golddigger. It wasn't about love, just money and power. He should have grown up and moved on like Bonn-o-Tron. I mean I have been totally smitten before but jesus christ it didn't last for like 20 years!!
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.

Next

Return to General Discussion