Father sets the Record Straight

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby OneEye589 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:27 pm

Yea, I wasn't referring to this thread, I was referring to your previous unreasonable pissy-fits.

Either way, you're still telling us this guys actions are wrong because that's not how you were raised, when many people were raised that way and are perfectly fine.
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby Bragallot » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:36 pm

Really? If you weren't referring to that, why'd you bring it up again in the first place? I must have forgotten about those, you should know I hardly pay attention to people's nicknames on here. If anything, it seems like you're more bothered by me than the other way around. I also haven't seen an example of a parent doing the same thing as this guy. I disagree that how your parents raised you can be put on the same level as this guy aggressively shooting his daughter's laptop while telling her how much she's going to pay for it in front of over a hundred million people. I believe in education by respect, not fear, and I have reasons to believe the way I believe in works better, partially because I've seen a study on 2 different types of education very similar to the ones we are discussing right now and their effects at university this year, so I am not stuck-up and just pretending the way I believe in works best because it worked for me.

I understand why so many people applaud this guy though. It's a full circle really. Most people were raised the 'authoritarian way' as it is called. Because they were taught their parents are always right no matter what by fear, even now they believe that to be the right way, because disagreeing to this guy would basically be saying their parents were wrong, something they could never admit to themselves. What's taught at a young age is almost impossible to get rid of later, which is part of the reason I'm positive I wouldn't be able to convince anyone he's wrong if I tried and out-argued them. Kinda like catholics, really.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
User avatar
Bragallot
Blockguy
 
Posts: 5383
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Gloating over my driver's license

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby Whiteagle » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:46 pm

Bragallot wrote:The dad is insecure and immature to handle the situation in this way. He's also insane. Southern accent says it all, as well as the stupid hat he's wearing. Simply grounding her and taking the laptop would've solved it in a way they were able to get over it again, right now I'm pretty sure his daughter is never going to forgive him for this. Is that what he wanted? To completely and utterly destroy his relationship with his daughter forever? This guy clearly has issues and a lot of stocked anger, I wonder what happened during his youth. How long before a madman like this starts pointing the gun at his daughter instead? What troubles me most is 90 percent of the people think he's 'awesome' when he's clearly insane. Think about it this way instead: would you want this guy to be your dad? I have fights with my dad as well but neither of us are insane enough to let it go that far that it could destroy our relationship, much different from this madman.

Edit: Also, my dad doesn't need a .45 to have authority. Any parent who uses guns to scare his children clearly has something (= a great lack of authority) to compensate for. No doubt this dickhead would shit his pants if he were to confront a real man speaking his mind to him on this matter and he didn't have his gun with him.

Hey now, she did have fair warning after the last time she did something like this, and while a little over-the-top this punishment isn't that extreme.

It's not like he threatened to mutilate his young son's genitalia with a meat cleaver because he was caught peeing in the ditch when the school-bus rolled up or anything...

IVhorseman wrote:What ever happened to the good old days of just beating the hell out of your kids? I guarantee you that if he had just slapped the shit out of her instead of shooting her laptop that there'd be a lot less of an uproar over this.

Well the problem is that the baby-boomer generation isn't all that emotionally stable from what I can tell, meaning they really aren't fit to administer corporal punishment.
User avatar
Whiteagle
Playmobil
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby OneEye589 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:54 pm

You're trying to say my experiences and other people's experiences don't compare to this when you really have no grounds to stand on like Bonn-o-Tron. You're continually asking us if we would take this punishment over what we had as a child.

Yes, I would rather have this punishment over the punishment and discipline I had as a child.

I agree that an upbringing of openness and discussion works, but I have seen it not work just as often as the kind of parenting seen in this video and my own with the people whose upbringing I'm familiar with. Some of my friends had parents who did what sounds to be the same as yours. Some turned out going to the hospital for drug overdoses, dropping out of school, becoming pr0n stars, and beating their girlfriends.

However, I had discipline which I see as worse than shown in the video and I was in the top ten of my class, graduating from college, and have a job.

Obviously, a majority of people think this is okay and may have had similar/worse punishments when they were kids, judging from the YouTube video.
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby Keldoclock » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Why is it that in every argument on this forum, OneEye is involved?
Image
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
User avatar
Keldoclock
Pooplord
 
Posts: 2749
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby OneEye589 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:45 pm

Because I enjoy debate. Sadly, everyone else just gets pissy and takes it personal.
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby OneEye589 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:46 pm

And, contrary to popular belief, I like goofing off and having fun! :shock: This includes lighthearted jokes, which people then take personally.
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby Keldoclock » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:39 pm

It's not debate when you're insulting the other person.

Image
Image
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
User avatar
Keldoclock
Pooplord
 
Posts: 2749
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby OneEye589 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:46 pm

But the thing is I'm not insulting the other person. If I do, it's a lighthearted joke, and as I said, they're taking it personally.

I haven't outright insulted anyone on here in an aggressive way since Asterios. Well, Silva, but that doesn't count.
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby aoffan23 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:34 am

"Lighthearted Jokes" or not, talking about the person instead of their arguments doesn't belong in a debate. And don't pull that "he started it" crap either.

Bragallot wrote:
IVhorseman wrote:What ever happened to the good old days of just beating the hell out of your kids?


I think it's called civilization.


If your family's style of parenting breeds people that say shit like this, then you've just made a big point against it.

[Disclaimer: I am only 17, so I'm not claiming to have "grown up" to be like anything. I'm just going to say how I see things at this point.]

My household has always been very lenient in terms of behaviour. If my sister or I did something wrong, we'd receive a good talking-to and we'd get it. However, the punishment did increase as the severity of the bad behaviour did. There were plenty of groundings and takings away of things, and I even had my bedroom door taken off of its hinges before because I was warned not to slam it anymore. But when things got really bad, we got spanked. That's just the way it was. And guess what? We didn't do the same shit again, so it obviously worked as a disciplining tool. Plenty of people are against spanking, but those people clearly didn't grow up in a house where that happened. My sister talks back a lot to my mom now, and my mom still tries the "talk to her about it" method. It's not working very well. As soon as she starts to talk to her, my sis will just bitch back at her, and there will be a big back-and-forth that doesn't make any progress at all.

I agree with OneEye and IV on this one, the father used his authority effectively. He laid down the law because his daughter was being disrespectful to her entire family, and the person who takes time out of her day to do work that most kids have to do themselves. She should be damn grateful of her parents for the life they've given her. As for putting the video on the internet, I still think it was a valid punishment. What good would it have done if he just shot the computer in front of her? He paid for it, so it's not like he's destroying her property. The only lesson it would teach is not to abuse her computer privileges. This way, he shows that she shouldn't publicly disrespect and humiliate the people that give you everything, on top of that.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.



I agree with Warhead.
User avatar
aoffan23
Pooplord
 
Posts: 3216
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:41 pm
Location: America's conjoined twin.

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby OneEye589 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:48 am

aoffan23 wrote:"Lighthearted Jokes" or not, talking about the person instead of their arguments doesn't belong in a debate.

If the entire debate is about how people are raised and their resulting personalities, it's going to come into it. Other than that I meant sarcasm and small, not personal attack jokes.
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby Keldoclock » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:51 am

At least try to keep it out of your debate than, yeah?
Image
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
User avatar
Keldoclock
Pooplord
 
Posts: 2749
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby OneEye589 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:58 am

No thanks. I'll just hope that some day you guys can be a little more positive and not so "Oh my god, everyone's out to get me."
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby Zupponn » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:48 am

aoffan23 wrote:My sister talks back a lot to my mom now, and my mom still tries the "talk to her about it" method. It's not working very well. As soon as she starts to talk to her, my sis will just bitch back at her, and there will be a big back-and-forth that doesn't make any progress at all.

Sounds familiar, except that my sister is almost 18, so my mom hitting her really isn't an option any more.
Image
User avatar
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny
 
Posts: 5617
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:15 pm
Location: Wisconsin, land of the cheese

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby aoffan23 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:59 am

Zupponn wrote:
aoffan23 wrote:My sister talks back a lot to my mom now, and my mom still tries the "talk to her about it" method. It's not working very well. As soon as she starts to talk to her, my sis will just bitch back at her, and there will be a big back-and-forth that doesn't make any progress at all.

Sounds familiar, except that my sister is almost 18, so my mom hitting her really isn't an option any more.


My sister is almost 20. So yeah...
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.



I agree with Warhead.
User avatar
aoffan23
Pooplord
 
Posts: 3216
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:41 pm
Location: America's conjoined twin.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest