Father sets the Record Straight

You know, whatever

Moderators: Almighty Benny, Blitzen, Silent-sigfig

Re: Father sets the Record Straight

Postby Bragallot » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:04 am

So apparently, stating your opinion, then defending your opinion when attacked means fucking yourself over? :lol: Damn, those presidential candidates must be very fucked indeed.

I'm judging the dad by his act here. He is not part of a larger group of people who do exactly what he did here. I'd be surprised if this community of yours has remained so elusive if they did the same thing he did and got the same amount of attention.

If you respect the law, you want others to respect it too.

I'm pretty sure you refer to the stuff others gave you as 'my stuff' too.

It doesn't matter that the context of the example is different because all I'm trying to prove is that demeaning language during an act of destruction only adds to the victim's frustration, and creating frustration with someone is never a good thing. Frustrated people do not think logically and can become very dangerous indeed, and there is also no limit to frustration. You can keep stacking it up until the tower, which never gets too high to build on, topples. In both cases, the victim would be angry, and making nasty comments would only serve to make him more angry.

Whether he cleaned it up or not is irrelevant. At that point, he's giving the wrong example.

If you only hear one side of the tale, experience with human nature makes it extremely likely the tale is biased towards the side of the speaker, and extremely unlikely it is the other way around. Keep this in the back of your head whenever you tell people of for instance this 'discussion'. If I'm making assumptions, I'm basing them off likeliness.

All you're saying with that rhetorical question of yours is ''see, you wouldn't do what she did, she's wrong'. Yeah, she was. So was he.

You're putting the impact a Facebook message to a limited group of friends on the same level of 'ruining your dignity' as a Youtube video with over 100 million views that caused far more of an uproar and will be remembered far longer? :lol:

Stating what you did a few pages back, is not a personal attack. It is a mere fact, which you could have avoided by not crying about how you're misunderstood. Also, now that we're talking about a few pages back, people were telling you to keep personal insults to yourself too, the only difference is, I didn't mention it because I don't care. Right now though, I'm going to ask you to stop being so hypocritical about 'personal insults'.

If he didn't think the gun would serve as a better tool to intimidate her than anything else he could have come up with, he wouldn't have used a gun and wasted 7 precious expensive (as he said) bullets on it just to get the job done.

I am not a racist. Whenever someone says something racist in my vicinity, I won't get angry at them, but I've explained many times to such people why racism is dumb. That doesn't mean I can't judge people, then put them into a category of 'dumb Southerners', a group of people that definitely exists, without anyone saying it is all-encompassing.

Destroying something is an act of violence. Guns are objects of violence. I already pointed this isn't always the case and I am hardly an anti-gun freak, but it is a fact they were created to do violence in the first place as opposed to many other items. A gun will alway carry more authority and be more intimidating than gravity or a car / bulldozer no matter how you were brought up simply because it is a far more powerful tool (for humans).

The daughter is likely a bitch indeed and shouldn't take her laptop for granted. Hence why he could've taken / given it away. He didn't have to be aggressive about it and set a bad example of how to deal with problems in a mature way.

We've already been over this. Simply providing your kids with a lot of material wealth doesn't earn you respect. I think this whole situation made that clear enough.

I never complained about you carrying a grudge against me or whatever, you're the one who jumped that wagon. If I appear rude, it's because I'm probably trying to tell you I'm not interested in having a proper argument with you (which I already did literally before you decided you just wouldn't quit attempting to enforce your opinion upon me). Does that mean I never have proper arguments with people? No, in fact, I do. I've had arguments about suicide, football and art with people who had a whole different opinion than me and never got into trouble with them. Why? Because I respect them and they respect me, and neither of us felt the need to push our opinions unto each other, which doesn't mean it can't be interesting to see why the other guy thinks what he thinks. The thing is, you're simply not a very interesting person to talk to and I'm getting nothing from 'sharing views' with you, which is the reason I'm not bothered at all about following the 'proper code.' You've made some remarks about how you think my personality is like too (assumption?), but I'm not complaining about them because I don't care what you think of me. Whether you think positively or negatively about me does not affect me at all.

Finally, let me get this straight.

I do not care about your opinion. It does not affect me. Does that mean I think you can't have an opinion? No. When I state my opinion, like I did in the beginning of this thread, without addressing anyone directly, I am not trying to enforce it upon others. When you attack my opinion, you are doing just that, and I will of course defend it. Why? Because the only thing I need is self-justification and I've been brought up to know you can't have an opinion simply because that's what you want to think, you need to be able to explain it. I also know whatever opinion you have, there will always be people who agree to you, and people who disagree to you, so that's hardly something you can evaluate your opinion by. I'm not so insecure I need other people's permission to feel I am right if I feel my arguments work. I was revolted by this parent's behavior and I gave you my reasons why, and there's nothing you can do to change that or make me see it your way :) I also don't care if you have a different opinion, or do not change it based on my opinion, because I'm not trying to convince you. Changing people's opinion (over the internet) is nigh impossible anyway, and not something I'm interested in even if it were easy again, because it does not affect me. All I require, is that I am able to back up my own opinion with arguments, to know I'm saying something based on thought and not just will. I do not need other people's permission to feel secure about myself or my opinion, unlike you apparently. That is for example the reason I'm not replying to Zahru, Zupponn or Keldoclock right now because they simply stated their opinion, which I don't care for (which is not the same as 'do not respect) and don't think they should change to mine for me to feel better about myself, so I'm not replying to them, as they didn't address me directly either and were apparently completely fine with just stating their opinions without requiring people to agree with them. In the end, it all comes down to the fact you're wasting your goddamn time trying to prove something to me I couldn't care less about what you think of it, because it doesn't affect me in the slightest and I do not think you are interesting enough that you would share views with me that would actually be interesting to know :lol:

If you need someone to talk to to fill up your grey life and spare time, find someone else who does think you're interesting and can learn something from you. I don't think you think my views are interesting or worth knowing, you just want to convince me you're right and I'm wrong, which is why you replied to me and no one else in the first place. Part of your motivation also seems to be simply riling me up, perhaps to talk me into a ban-worthy offense? Well either way, it's not working :lol:

As for Eagle, you're completely right. He has the right to be mad at his daughter and I would be mad in his stead as well. My problem with him is that he didn't handle his anger in a mature way or set a good example for his child, because he did exactly what she did and worse: making their problems public, putting them on the internet. He is not trying to achieve making her a better person, the only thing he is achieving is enforcing his own will. How will the daughter realize her own behavior was wrong when she sees her dad doing exactly the same thing and worse in response? Parenting should not be limited to a case of action - reaction because mistakes can and have been avoided on beforehand, in my opinion.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles
Silent-sigfig wrote:
motorhead fan wrote:Colette, why have they all got soup stains on they're coats

One characteristic of nerds is lack of hygiene
Bragallot
Blockguy

Postby OneEye589 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:01 am

First paragraph: Discussion with people who have different ideas with you is automatically an attack? Definitely not on you. Perhaps I thought your ideas were faulty, but I wasn't the one stooping to low claims about your personality.

Rest of post: TL;DR. I was hoping to just have a conversation, but obviously you're taking this waaaaaaaaay too seriously. Have fun.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby Tzan » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:42 am

Keldoclock wrote:
Tzan wrote: Excellent quotes n shit

You actually read all that.
I didnt.
I just copied from the NRA site and a Time magazine article about women who hate guns.
Then randomly wrapped some parts in quote tags.
So the second paragraph was "answering" the first.
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:22 am

Bragallot wrote:So apparently, stating your opinion, then defending your opinion when attacked means fucking yourself over? :lol: Damn, those presidential candidates must be very fucked indeed.

They are. They have to stand up on podiums in front of national television spouting even MORE TL;DR bullshit than you are.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Bragallot » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:26 am

:rtfm:
Silent-sigfig wrote:

Bragallot
Blockguy

Postby stubby » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:18 pm

IVhorseman wrote:You should most definitely calm your tits

Oh wait I thought you said clam.

Man! I've been away moving between states the last week or so, it looks like I missed whole pages and pages worth of TL;DR. Rather than read them I'm just going to put my opinions out there and hope no one else has said this stuff already.

6. This guy has found a way to use hollow point bullets for child rearing. He is totally BrikWars.

7. It sounds like his kid is exactly like he is: uses any minor imposition as an excuse to give herself license for bizarre passive-aggressive bullshit. Maybe if her dad knew how to act like an adult, then she'd have a role model to work from.

8. Nobody whose parents use threats, intimidation, or violence on them grows up "okay," no matter what they may think. Even a tiny amount of this stuff causes brain damage that shows up clearly in FMRI. One of the first parts of the brain to show a decrease in gray matter is the part that does self-diagnostics and decides whether or not it's grown up "okay." The others include the part that lets the logic centers rather than the emotional centers decide whether shooting your kid's computer is a good idea, and the part that assesses afterwards whether the decision was based on emotion rather than logic, and the part that keeps you from overreacting to harmless bullshit.

9. If this were my kid, this would have been a good teaching experience to tell her exactly how much money she costs me every month. I'd lay out a nice chart with how much it would cost to rent the bedroom I supply her, plus fully furnished, plus utilities included; next the cost of whatever cheffing and chaufferring and all the other services parents provide. Next to that I'd lay out the value of the chores she's doing. At the end of the month, I sell all her stuff on eBay to make up the difference. I think that's a much funnier way to demonstrate that I'm taking her complaints seriously while still going out of my way to make her miserable.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby stubby » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:28 pm

Hmm, I looked back a little bit at the TL;DR parts and it's mainly a lot of shit posts of people going on and on about themselves. Do you guys remember when we used to have a rule against that? Like I banned that guy Adean a hundred times for it, it was great. Maybe I should re-institute the rule.

Seems like most everybody I ban, it's for that reason. Asterios, Pandoranuker, Silverdream, etc., it's the endless talking about themselves that triggers the banhammer.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Bragallot » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:12 pm

It's all your own fault for not swooping down and owning the thread sooner, stubby :troll:

By the way, are you telling me you banned Silverdream? I'm guessing this happened in the past before I joined the board?
Silent-sigfig wrote:

Bragallot
Blockguy

Postby mgb519 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:32 pm

I remember the post-purge, but beyond that I don't know.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.

That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.
mgb519
Pooplord

Postby Silverdream » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Now we're getting our Silvas and Silvers mixed up.

He banned me when I was Silvadream, then I came back and became a little better.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:38 pm

Bragallot wrote:I'm past the point of caring though, might have something to do with it, usually when something like this catches my attention I would spew my acid about it, then after a while reach the point where I think "I've done my job', am happy with myself and focus on my own business again. I've kinda reached that point now.

Six pages later and it's Stubby's fault that you had a huge rant?
IVhorseman

Postby Bragallot » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:50 pm

Wait: I'll clarify it for you: *heavenly, enlightening voice* what I said to stubby, was irony. It was meant to be funny. If you don't think it's funny, that's fine. If you do, all the better.

@ Silva: so it is as I thought. I know my forum board history! Might have something to do with people warning me of you in my introduction thread, lol.
Silent-sigfig wrote:

Bragallot
Blockguy

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:39 pm

okay yeah there's a troll icon there my bad
:troll:
IVhorseman

Postby Bragallot » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:40 pm

Haha I would be really stupid to say that to stubby and mean it after he showed us his banhammer.
Silent-sigfig wrote:

Bragallot
Blockguy

Postby Keldoclock » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:51 am

:twss:
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord