Meta BrikWars Topic

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Re: Meta BrikWars Topic

Postby Zahru II » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:04 pm

I'd love to, but I'm IPblocked by default on 4chan ever since I have internet access.
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby Ham701 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:16 pm

From the looks of it, I seem to have by far the most successful area. To my knowledge, at least 6 other people besides me have played Brikwars and liked it, and one(Napalm) even joined the board and made his own factions(But they're taken hostage by me right now). Currently, I'm running a post apoc civ game with my core group of friends, which has been really successful and really emulate the spirit of Brikwars. We have Peach Fascists who enslave yellows, a civilization who worships wagons, and Jonestown. I also know of several other people who are interested, so it's safe to say that I'm doing well here.

Also, OneEye should brikwar me sometime. :troll:
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.

Ham701
Galidor

Postby BrikSaber » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:52 pm

I almost recruited a kid to these forums. He got scared off by people who would actually call him an idiot for spamming "TROLLOLOLOL," as he was apt to do.
That and his "army" consisted of a bunch of peach custom minifigs that he bought online for 30 bucks apiece, and he never did any MOC.
Come to think of it, he wouldn't really be wanted here, anyway.
Holy fucking shit.
TROLOLO
BrikSaber
Officer

Postby Whiteagle » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:33 pm

Three words: Deadly Spaceman T-Shirts!

Really though, my problem is the same one that prevents me from getting into Dungons and Dragons, I live in the middle of No-where Iowa!

That said, I've been trying to get my eldest Nephew into it (despite the fact that he's a wee bit too young yet), and should probably direct my Brother (a Math Teacher) to the rulebook as well.

Also, has anyone approached a Gaming Con like this one?
I think a proper enough EPIC spread could win over a couple dozen neckbeards at the very least.
Whiteagle
Playmobil

Postby Ross_Varn » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:44 pm

The Shadowscythe wrote:Attempted a post on /tg/ today . . . its almost like they have lost interest or some shit like that - attempting to bump it back up but to no luck.

boards.4chan.org/tg/res/19775634

Any chanfags want to help? Otherwise I am beating off a dead horse here. :why:

Sgt.Varn !q8XtSW4.HY 07/07/12(Sat)10:13 No.19775702
I tried playing Brik Wars a while back, and I found the system sort of lacking. It probably didn't help that I'm not super rich and can order any parts I want so I need to deal with whatever I have accumulated from childhood.

As I seem to remember it, weapon damages and range were based on how big the weapon was, making placement on the construct very important. I didn't like this becasue I wanted to make my stuff look cool, which lead to everything having ridiculously short ranges and weak weapons.

What the frig this guy has my username

There is a strange trend I've seen when I've attempted to introduce people to the game. About 42% of kids I knew in the St. Louis area knew of or had played some version of Brikwars when I mentioned it to them. My cousin actually had a huge stash of lego in his basement that I found out about a few weeks before moving. I showed Brikwars off at the local game group, it met with mixed reception. I'm going back to STL soon, I doubt they'll continue to play. It really does boil down to one point- that of the age of the game. Showing off the ridiculous potential the game has tends to light up a light in people's eyes, but getting them past the point that Lego is for kids is the hard part.

Ah well. I'm off to college in a month, and I've got enough experience by this point to recruit a group of brikwarriors. The campus is across the street from the biggest game shop in the area, so conditions are favorable.

As for a mini-convention or it's ilk, I think the reception that the simple idea of Ragnablok ignited proves a point- we really want to do something like this, but most of the users here can't, because Brikwars is not a "legitimately accepted game". It's a website with a rulebook and a bunch of users that troll each other endlessly. Give us a few years, for the trend seems to be that people stick around longer through a Dark Age for the community that we've built here. We'll come around, and get something done.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby samuelzz10 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:45 pm

Zahru II wrote:I would love to see a bigger community and actual organized play with big events happen... but I'm afraid I'm at the worst of places where it would never to be realized. I mean, stuck in the middle of Europe, the closest brikwarrior is Apollyon and he is about 400 kilometres (a rough guess) away.

As for popularizing the game locally, I have made previous attempts, even brought in armies to our local game store to demo the game, and it didn't really work out. Thing is, people still associate lego here with stuff that kiddies play with, and usually all I get is lengthy rants from 'mature and professional' modelers why lego is overpriced and they would rather invest in actual war games because it's more bang for your buck (oh the hypocrisy, spending 200$ on a starting army, amirite?). I could go on why the modeling community is a cancerous bunch of jerks with overbloated egos who think that painting tiny plastic figurines is an arcane sorcery only they can master (and they wonder why their hobby is dying with less and less people willing to start it), but that's not the point.

So... yeah. As long as being mature means shying away from playing a good game with fun toys, I'll be the only active brikwarrior here for a while.

I think it is just because it isn't "professional" looking enough to them. I once played at my local comic shop with a well made rulebook, some catspaw hexstands, and lots of 10 and 8 sided dice, and people didn't look at it like it was shit.
Tzan wrote:
Colette wrote:We certainly shouldn’t give off the impression of being a degenerate cesspool.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I am kindof annoyed with how dirty people are on the forums sometimes. You can't take away cursing or (obviously) violence, but do people have to make dirty sex
jokes, and post goatese pictures?

Colette wrote:Having an Asian mom

Is it just me, or do you always make a point of your mom being Asian?

But on the rulebook, I think if Mike talked to Lego, or made an agreement, it could happen. I know he used to work there, but I doubt that means anything.
Spoiler: show
my old sig

WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum
samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Postby Ross_Varn » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:47 pm

samuelzz10 wrote:But on the rulebook, I think if Mike talked to Lego, or made an agreement,

Eeeehh I'm pretty sure that's not a thing that either side would consider here.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby IVhorseman » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:50 pm

Come on Silva, I already told you I'm going from Vancouver to Salmo and back again. On the way back i *may* have time to drop by.

Anyways, here's my thoughts on the matter: we ARE a degenerate cesspool that should never change it's ideals to gain popularity, and kickstarters are bad ju-ju.

I've thought about getting the rulebook published before, but i know the avenues for doing so are expensive. A kickstarter campaign would be nice, but the fact of the matter is that we do NOT have the manpower or popularity to get one running - hell we don't even have a homepage right now. However if I were to get something absolutely retarded like 50 million dollars out of a settlement for my horrifically broken legs (not happening, but never say never), I would totally be pumping money into doing that.

As for the current state of Brikwars, in the past year and a half I have gotten a *lot* of my friends into Brikwars. My personal table has evolved to the point where I actually can call someone up and say "hey, you wanna brikwar?" and play a game half an hour later. We already play games like munchkin and DnD, so brikwars was a pretty natural progression. Whenever one of my friends asks what brikwars is, their usual firstimpress ion is that it's a way better warhammer that they already have an army for.

One foolproof way I've been using for finding brikwarriors is to leave a baggie of legos on my kitchen table. When my friends are over and we're all sitting around the table, one or more of them will start picking up lego dudes and playing with them - sometimes even giving them guns and putting together a small squad of awesome figs. If they say "why the fuck are there legos here you are dapper," then i wouldn't bother teaching them Brikwars. If they say "holy shit awesome!" then it's time to bust out some dice and measuring tape. If you're lucky, they already set up their own army and you can just start playing a small game immediately. I've also found that expecting people to have their own massive armies to match yours is a little unrealistik - just make two armies out of your pieces and let them use one of em.

Ultimately, Brikwars is free for a reason. Putting out a rulebook or making a kickstarter and asking people to pour money into it starts shying away from the spirit of the rules: a new way to play with shit you already have that you won't have to pay for. Spread brikwars to your friends and co-workers by word of mouth. Bait them with legos. Maybe talk about it on some forums. Most importantly, teach people how to play whenever you get the chance!

And yes, we absolutely MUST be this crude. It kinda helps shoot down the whole "brikwars is for kids" thing.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Natalya » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:17 pm

Our crude behaviour on this forum is probably not a big problem. I have set up some very minimum standards which are probably good enough. From what y'all are describing, word of mouth looks like the most successful route. I would not write-off a kickstarter campaign though. We can pursue multiple avenues at the same time. Like a particle.

Posting straight-up ads on other sites seems like a bad plan to me because people are trained to ignore that stuff. Let example pictures do the talking, let those who would be interested develop that interest for themselves, you know?

I guess right now we are being crippled by the lack of a homepage. It needs to be fixed, like that should be a top priority but Rayhawk seems to be too busy these days. We need it done though. Without it we look inexcusably unorganized.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.

Postby Whiteagle » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:34 pm

Ross_Varn wrote:As for a mini-convention or it's ilk, I think the reception that the simple idea of Ragnablok ignited proves a point- we really want to do something like this, but most of the users here can't, because Brikwars is not a "legitimately accepted game".

I'm not talking about a convention just for Brikwars, I mean going to a tabletop gaming convention with an awesome battlefield set-up to shill it to the masses.
Stubby could sell Deadly Spaceman T-shirts and everything!
Hell, we should be working on an "official" version of Brikspace as well, since that's probably one of the easiest forms of Brikwar-ing to get into.

...Doesn't Forlorn Creature do Lego Stop-motion films?
We could have little animatics humorously explaining the basics!

Thing is, we aren't going to attract players unless we shove it down their neckbeared throats!
Whiteagle
Playmobil

Postby RunsWithLegos » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:38 pm

The Shadowscythe wrote:Attempted a post on /tg/ today . . . its almost like they have lost interest or some shit like that - attempting to bump it back up but to no luck.

boards.4chan.org/tg/res/19775634

Any chanfags want to help? Otherwise I am beating off a dead horse here. :why:

i am bumping the thread with my army
hopefully some one notices
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord

Postby IVhorseman » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:47 pm

badagle wrote:...Doesn't Forlorn Creature do Lego Stop-motion films?
We could have little animatics humorously explaining the basics!

See people, THIS is how you use text formatting. I knew badddagle'd get it right eventually.

This is a legitimately good idea, and if anyone with a camera, patience, and a good understanding of the rules who'd be willing to do this should step up and start filming! You could do it chapter-by-chapter or section-by-section, but I see no reason why a youtube instructional video for motherfucking brikwars would be a bad idea. I'd spam the shit out of it on my Facebook and tell my buddy who runs kingdom-con about them so he can promote them!

I would start by either doing a video based on the humble minifig (just get the info on the stat card and a brief introduction to movement and action) or quikwars, but eventually this could someday turn into an entire video rulebook series. This is worth talking about.

Another thing: How important is it to us that Rayhawk finish the rulebook, fix the homepage, or do that sweet forum battle? There's a bunch of crap we just shovel on top of him expecting it to be awesome, but we can't get everything we want right away. But we ARE the fans, and this might be the place to say it: which of these three things do we want to see happen the most? Do we want him to focus on the rules? Do we need the homepage up ASAP? Or do we just want to have a sweet fucking forum battle? My vote's on the latter - helps playtest 2010, and because fuck you i want to play games. Of course, all this is subject to The Rules.
IVhorseman

Postby IVhorseman » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:51 pm

badagle wrote:Hell, we should be working on an "official" version of Brikspace as well, since that's probably one of the easiest forms of Brikwar-ing to get into.

There's a few templates and I hate all of them. Why not amalgamate them into one working edition?

My Plastik Armory thread that I never shut the fuck up about is an attempt to create a semi-official supplement to 2010 rules. It's meant to attract the people who are into diverse units and weapons (like that chanfag who hated on brikwars for having a weapons system that's smarter than he is).
IVhorseman

Postby Whiteagle » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:06 pm

IVhorseman wrote:I would start by either doing a video based on the humble minifig (just get the info on the stat card and a brief introduction to movement and action) or quikwars, but eventually this could someday turn into an entire video rulebook series. This is worth talking about.

The most crucial step I think would be the Narration.
Brikwars biggest charm isn't just the plastic ultra-violence, it's that reading the rulebook itself is entertaining!
Whimsy and farce are tightly woven (and/or duct taped) into every aspect of the game, and the videos need to reflect this instead of simply being dry, informative instructions.
Hell, if they are entertaining enough, we could attracted potential players who were simply browsing You-tube!

IVhorseman wrote:Another thing: How important is it to us that Rayhawk finish the rulebook, fix the homepage, or do that sweet forum battle? There's a bunch of crap we just shovel on top of him expecting it to be awesome, but we can't get everything we want right away. But we ARE the fans, and this might be the place to say it: which of these three things do we want to see happen the most? Do we want him to focus on the rules? Do we need the homepage up ASAP? Or do we just want to have a sweet fucking forum battle? My vote's on the latter - helps playtest 2010, and because fuck you i want to play games. Of course, all this is subject to The Rules.

Personally I'd say the Homepage, just because it's nice to have something to direct people to...

IVhorseman wrote:
badagle wrote:Hell, we should be working on an "official" version of Brikspace as well, since that's probably one of the easiest forms of Brikwar-ing to get into.

There's a few templates and I hate all of them. Why not amalgamate them into one working edition?

My Plastik Armory thread that I never shut the fuck up about is an attempt to create a semi-official supplement to 2010 rules. It's meant to attract the people who are into diverse units and weapons (like that chanfag who hated on brikwars for having a weapons system that's smarter than he is).

Yeah, but that does beg the question, "What do we want or not want in the Brikspace rule?"
Whiteagle
Playmobil

Postby Tzan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:04 pm

6. Marry one of those girl friends
7. Forum battle
8. Make baabies
9. Wait 1 year then finish rules
10. Get divorced
11. Front page
12. Kickstarter
13. publish rules