Meta BrikWars Topic

You know, whatever

Moderators: Blitzen, Silent-sigfig, Almighty Benny

Re: Meta BrikWars Topic

Postby Zupponn » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:49 pm

I'll just post this here. It's from the Mobile Frame Zero forums.

Dude on MFZ Forums wrote:One of the things that puts me off from hanging out on the BrikWars forums more regularly is the bald-faced glee they take in using wildly inappropriate language. I like the BrikWars game, love the creativity that is on display... but I really dislike the vibe. I would be seriously disappointed to see that same culture develop here. I'm certainly not the type to tell people how to behave, but I whole-heartedly support the sentiment expressed by the OP.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Silverdream » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:51 pm

http://brikwars.wikispaces.com/fuck

Also, we could attempt to lure the 14-20 demographic by making brikwars into a drinking game.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Keldoclock » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:03 pm

501stCadians wrote: Das Pirate, down in NYC

:!:

Get me the address of this man.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby Natalya » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:50 pm

IMO most important is website fix. I could do it when I get home if I had FTP access I think. Even if I couldn't get the LJ linked properly I could come up with something.

Maybe part of the problem could be solved with delegation. Rayhawk is one guy, he can't be everywhere and do everything all at once. Problem is he can't trust most of us and there are some things he ought to be in charge of, like writing the rules. General promotional stuff like youtube videos or posting battle reports on 4chan can already be done by us, and it probably should be. But maybe there are other things we can help with? We do a lot of playtesting of the rules already just by playing, so maybe there are specific things he needs tested that we could do?
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Each night alone I dream, that I'm a rebel Roller Queen‼
I'll be a star that shines, I can make the whole world mine‼"

Natalya
Tremble in awe, for I am become Admin, Banner of Noobs.

Postby Silverdream » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:12 pm

I will do all the overlord commands of me. As per my loyalty I demand to be in charge of Western Canadian Brikwars.

Duties will be:
-To educate people on brikwars
-Lord it up
-To lead partisan armies into battle against communists and neo-nazis
-To organize groups and events
-To make sure that everyone bends a knee to Mike Rayhawk
-To send tribute to Mike Rayhawk as appropriate

I've already designed uniforms for myself and my honour guard, I won't take no for an answer.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Natalya » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:37 pm

Uhh, no.
  ▲
▲ ▲

Natalya

Postby aoffan23 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:37 pm

The one thing I'm noticing about this thread is that many people seem to be jumping the conclusion that Mike wants to make this into a big-business wargame, even though we've had no input from him on this thread. There are ideas like Kickstarter being suggested seriously, but everyone seems to be trying to take control of the game, and make into what they want. I'm sure Mike would appreciate extra help with the expansion/development of BrikWars, but we shouldn't really be making financial decisions regarding his game.

Regarding the... "specialness" of the forum: this is a perfect reason for why I think it's much better to spread it to your friends through face-to-face games. People being linked to the forum will see the posts here and have a preconceived notion of what the spirit of the game is, before even picking up the dice. If one were to become acquainted with the game itself first, and visit the forum later, they would already have an idea of what the game is about, and would thus be less likely to be turned off by what others are saying. Sure, they might not join the forums at all, but they would still be into the game, and content could still be posted by whoever introduced them to the game, or by any of the potential players resulting from this person's love of the game. The more players get introduced to the game, the more likely it is that at least one of them will post content on the forum.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby Zupponn » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:42 pm

I know that I personally went through the rules before even looking at the forum. Then I stumbled across ZZD somehow and I was hooked.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Natalya » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:02 am

He is probably staying out of this intentionally to see where we end up on our own first. This isn't the first thread like this on here, but it seems to be the best of them so far in terms of quality of discussion. I would guess he is waiting for it to turn to shit on its own.

Umm I don't think we are advocating for turning this into some kind of big-business thing. The legal situation with the game makes it hard to avoid being sued if it was turned into that. I suppose that printing BrikWars merch is about as far as it could go in that respect, but that isn't what this is about. This is about growing the fanbase and making this game popular.

As for the board being too vulgar, I'm not about to outlaw profanity on here, but I personally have been trying to tone down my use of obscenities.
  ▲
▲ ▲

Natalya

Postby Kalvinator » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:07 am

Have we tried going on Reddit? There are a few Lego boards on there. If we could find the best of the best for Armies and forum battles, we could attract a decent crowd.
Kalvinator
in need of one still

Postby Keldoclock » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:18 am

Zupponn wrote:I know that I personally went through the rules before even looking at the forum. Then I stumbled across ZZD somehow and I was hooked.

Same.

Anyways, here are the (perceived) problems with Brikwars today:

1. Too hard to find other players

2. Too expensive if you don't already have a ton of legos

3. QQ they haz nudity and the violences oh god the horror what of the children QQ

For 1, we could offer some kind of meetup thing at gaming stores, held every other week or something, and give tips in the rulebook for converting your friends.
For 2, we could show Rayhawk or one of us amassing a 500cp army from Ebay for X dollars.

Any other ideas?
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby Natalya » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:32 am

I have been deleting posts with human nudity. This is a plastic brick forum!!
  ▲
▲ ▲

Natalya

Postby IVhorseman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:10 am

Natalya wrote:He is probably staying out of this intentionally to see where we end up on our own first.

He is probably drunk.

Natalya wrote:I have been deleting posts with human nudity. This is a plastic brick forum!!

WROOOONG this is a hanging-out forum, in which we all share a common love of brikwars. I mean yeah of course this forum's mostly about brikwars, but it's also about silva RUINGING FUCKING EVERYTHING
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Killer Karetsu » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:36 am

I think I should have spread the word of brikwars when I was younger, in the age when "playing with lego" was okay. That way I could have hooked a lot of guys and when they'd get older, they might still like it. Right now it is just too weird to spread. It's fun and all, but I guess I don't have the confidence to take the risk of being "a weird nerdy fella". But I still have some guys I can play brikwars with. Especially FinnStriker is a reliable brikwars-partner.
I have been attending a warhammer-gaming-group, and I think I could play the game there. They are nice fellas and probably wouldn't care in a negative way. The thing is, they are older than me, and probably wouldn't start it. BUT recently a group of 11-13 year olds came to the club and I think I could get them interested by playing a brikwars game right under their nose.
NO!THERE ARE NO POLAR BEARS IN FINLAND!!!
Killer Karetsu
Mega Blok

Postby ForlornCreature » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:37 am

I still do my animation thing, I'm on a big project at the moment that is slowing down my youtube channel, but when this project is done (hopefully in a couple months) I will be continuing with my (so far very successful) lego minecraft animations, hopefully raking in a decent following, but I would also like to use the brikwars universe as a setting to produce a regular series of comedic and/or violent shorts around a minute long each to both advertise brikwars and possibly serve as easy little in-between videos while I produce bigger projects.
They would be relatively small-scale, simple and focus on a particular scenario or character/creature of brikwars.

Possible topics might include:

-Terrorkahn
-Warhead
-Blokbots (Sloopofwar's forum battle a couple years ago was one of the factors that got me onto this website)
-Stubby and his banhammer
-A lego star wars battle scene that doesn't suck balls (something more Saving Private Ryan style needs to be made)
-Various factions including the VOL, Assyrians, Immortals etc. (possibly propaganda)
-Explanations of the brikwars universe (ABS, OT etc.)
ForlornCreature
Jaw-Jaw

Location: Animating lego in a dark room someplace in the savage land of Australia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion