The new Chima line

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Re: The new Chima line

Post by Gungnir » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:11 pm

I think I prefer the Monster Fighters wolfman head over the Chima one.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

CADmonkey
Cannon Fodder

Post by CADmonkey » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:31 pm

I love all of the olive green and trans-red in the croc boat. I'm hoping we'll see more croc sets soon.

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:15 pm

morganm wrote:Hey I'm also switching from metal / plastic minis to Lego for all our PathfinderLITERPG gaming.

I looked at a few sets when I was at Wal-Mart. They look cool. I don't care for the extra gamey bits like the Ninjago stuff but whatever; I don't have to use it.

The minifigs look rad though. Love the new heads, torso / leg designs, new pieces, etc. etc. Some of the sets looked like a quick way to get several rubber tank treads which I'm lacking.

So I really don't care about the Chima line, its story, or whatever.... I just like the new pieces =)
Along these same lines....

I was at the Lego store last night and they had several Chima sets on display. The croc dudes are AWESOME! These will make great lizardmen, troglodyte, and dragonborn figures!

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:16 pm

This makes me wonder if we shouldn't have Stubby poke around and see if the Lego Group and Wizards of the Coast have been in contact with one another...

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:40 pm

Dragon Magazine #324, October 2004 wrote:Image
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Post by Ben-Jammin » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:06 am

stubby wrote:

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:01 pm

Ben-Jammin wrote:
stubby wrote:

Yeah! Unbelievable! somebody was still publishing Dragon magazine in 2004!

Looks like they stopped in 2007.
I've got a storage box full of them from 70's-80's.
Looks like my oldest is #30.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:12 am

Dungeon and Dragon magazines have been consolidated into one thing, that exists only as an internet magazine, that you have to subscribe to wizards of the coast to get.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:10 pm

Okay, so now that I've given these sets a closer look, I must say this is a pretty good line, if I was still a kid I would probably love it and get every set and follow the story. At least I think so.

The mix of medieval weapons and martial skills with high-tech vehicles that was successful in Ninjago is used again which is cool. The new weapons can be good for Scifi too as powerblades / staffs.

From my point of view, fig-wise we get generally good-looking lizardmen, werewolves and Avians, so more options for creating a Fantasy realm with various races. Only downside are the lions (kinda) and the fact some of these parts might not be as easy to repurpose as you might like.

The white eagles are pretty much a godsend for the way I'm trying to make High Elves (they're supposed to have a bit of an Aztec look going on), look out for the chick with the wings (high elf priestess), with some minor adjustments those eagle guys would fit right in with her:

Many of the models are totally Brikwars. Just look at that thing:

Giant lion-head on big wheels with large cannons on each side. Yes!

The line is very vehicle-based to say the least and some of these vehicles are a bit chunky, but you get a lot of useful parts for building your own vehicles, in many different colours, as well, if you buy sets from this line.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:18 pm

Bragallot wrote:The white eagles are pretty much a godsend
:protip: It's a conjoined E

Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems

Post by Whiteagle » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:56 pm

Zupponn wrote:
Bragallot wrote:The white eagles are pretty much a godsend
:protip: It's a conjoined E
I approve of my memetic appellation to this line.
:tiger:

pkbrennan
Minifig

Post by pkbrennan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:21 am

I think my problem with the Chima line is that I have been looking too much at the minifigs (some don't impress me that much) and not enough at all the parts I can rip off for projects. The parts the vehicles have are very useful...
The World of Pekab & the Anarcho-Syndicalist Adventurers Guild <== new site

"Everything needs more Dakka, including the Dakka..."

Redback
Battlefield General

Post by Redback » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:25 pm

Time to resurrect a dying thread!

Yeah, I went and got a bunch of Chima sets today. Protip, NEVER go to the high-street of a major city on Boxing Day.

The figures are okay, a little odd looking, and the headpieces are kinda loose, but the wings are cool (I ended up with a bunch of eagles and ravens, and like 2 lions and a single croc). Definitely more a fan of the bird figures thn anything else. And the way that nearly every figure comes with armour is a nice touch too.

Weapons? Awesome. Lots of transparent energy-blade bits, and a nice mix of close combat fantasy weapons and laserguns. That's one thing that stands out about this series for me, the whole combination of fantasy and sci-fi. Most series go one way or the other, either being technology with laser guns, spaceships and such, or being swords, palaces, horses and stuff. But here we get a nice inbetween: Castles, swords, laserguns, battlesuits, speeder bikes, axes, energy weapons, planes... Basically everything that makes a Brikwars game any fun.

And the sets themselves? Pretty awesome. I do prefer sets with lots of scenery (One reason the Castle sets are so awesome), but the vehicles are neat enough designs, and will definitely come in handy next battle (A couple of raven gliders and a giant eagle bike that transports into a jump-jet will give me a nice advantage). And I know I can do something cool with the Speedors (Because poor literacy is kewl I guess). A gang of animal men zooming across the battlefield on bikes, anyone?

As for the TV series... It's okay. It's very much a 'kids' show, and not really a 'family' show, but it's alright. Decent lore, cool battlescenes, nice background music, passable voice acting. Sure it's goofy and all, but in a fun way. Kinda like a Power Rangers series. It's not great, but I hesitate to call it bad. Better than the Ninjago series, that's for sure.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:59 pm

Redback wrote:That's one thing that stands out about this series for me, the whole combination of fantasy and sci-fi. Most series go one way or the other, either being technology with laser guns, spaceships and such, or being swords, palaces, horses and stuff. But here we get a nice inbetween: Castles, swords, laserguns, battlesuits, speeder bikes, axes, energy weapons, planes... Basically everything that makes a Brikwars game any fun.
Yeah this is a really good aesthetic about the Chima series. I got one of those raven gliders and I love it.