Carrnevil 9's Mechanical Database

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Carrnevil9
Officer

Carrnevil 9's Mechanical Database

Post by Carrnevil9 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:01 am

Alright, I'll admit it, I'm bored and it's 5 AM. I would like to remind you all that each one of these is a WIP (Work In Progress) and I cannot dub any of them 'complete' until it has been destroyed for parts. As it stands, here is the current makeup of my mechanical 'army,' Iron Sword.

First, I'd like to introduce you to my heavy scout mecha. You'd notice it as being green if you are not colorblind, above the rest on the tiny gray precipice.

And with wings deployed:

Back:

This is approximately a size 5 vehicle, along with a structure level of 4 (Lightly armored scouting vessel). I'd also like to give it a speed of 12", though I'm not certain exactly what to do with my wings (let's face it, it's not very aerodynamic) and am currently open for suggestions.

Armaments include close range combat claws and some manner of rifle. The saber-type beam-weapon being held in the right hand is purely for decorational purposes. Also of note is the radar dish positioned atop the 'head.'

Finally, this is a giant mechanical tool of war, but as with all mecha, this device can only be operated correctly by untrained teenage soldiers. Any trained combat personnel would only hinder its full abilities. Mecha of this type are also highly likely to be stolen.

I don't really want to bother calculating the CP at the moment, as I believe the number is best represented by the idea of "Hideous." I will do so at a later time.
Brawl Friend Code: 14MN0-TY0URF-R13ND

"Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone." GLaDOS

Leonardo812
Nice Dubs

Post by Leonardo812 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:51 am

Awesomeness.

picklesniffer
Champion
Champion

Post by picklesniffer » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:29 pm

pimp my transformer.
Destruction is bliss.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:22 pm

you consider size 4 armor to be light? i'm assuming you just mean "lighter", but still.

other than the funny names, i can't honestly say anything bad about the construction quality. absolutely top-notch. i'm assuming exo-force joints lend themselves much easier to mecha than the joints i use (basically nothing invented later than '95).

Bonn-o-Tron
Mega Blok

Post by Bonn-o-Tron » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:57 pm

Damn, that's impressive. Nice work
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:26 pm

ooh! and i forgot to mention! the wings could be used for gliding. basically, the mech can be brought to any height, released, and it would still be able to move 12" per turn in any non-up direction.

Gallus
Demi-God of BrikWars

Post by Gallus » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:35 pm

Have you thought about using the wings as supports for some kind of strafing effect? If their not used for flying they could probably be used for steering and stabilizing.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:21 pm

thats preaty nice but i would consider the exo force type limb conectors to be cheating and make the joints to skinny.

Moronstudios
Mega Blok

Post by Moronstudios » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:42 pm

:shock: I wish I could build like that. (I wonder how destructive they are :) )
Looking for Vancouver Island players: http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1194

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:43 pm

I'm interested in how the torsos are constructed.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

DarkWolf
Officer

Post by DarkWolf » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:46 pm

Nice mechs. The only thing I can complain about is the fact that while the pilot does have a full cockpit surrounding him, it's still an open target. Of course, I'm biased on this because I tend to bury pilots and gunners in as much armor as I can fit on.
"For every battle honour, a thousand heros die alone, unsung and unremembered"
--Anonymous
"Glory to the first man to die!"
--Commissar saying
"When in doubt, empty the magazine!"
--Steel Legion motto

Carrnevil9
Officer

Post by Carrnevil9 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:44 am

I'll take Blitzen's post first. I've developed a technique that I've been using for the past 7 mecha. They were very roughly modeled around Orbital Frames (Zone of the Enders.) I've taken the liberty to move the cockpit higher than the crotch though.
That's a shot of how my white unit connects to the legs.
This shows how the cockpit connects to the torso (One of the pins is a 'loose' gray one and the other is a 'tight' black one. This allows the cockpit's window to open relatively easily.
This is the completed torso.

Darkwolf, while I admit that these things aren't the most... heavily armored vehicles, I find them visually appealing and rather easy to reproduce with most colors (Still shy on Purple.) I'd toyed with burying the pilot in the torso:
However, after building 4 models of this type I found the body rather breakable.

Piltogg, I'm not sure I'd refer to this as cheating, however it does makes them little better than mechanized Knights Kingdom action figures. Perhaps these are more to your liking:
Still, if you can find a better way to make something stand up and look vaguely humanoid, you're surrounded by people who will listen. (These joints also make battle damage easy to emulate)

Gallus and IVHorseman, those seem like rather fair ways to implement the wings, but getting terrain to be different enough to glide from, is rather a stretch. Still, It's hard to find a mech of any sort that can't fly, jump-jet, or jump large distances in a single bound.
Last edited by Carrnevil9 on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone." GLaDOS

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:05 am

differentiated terrain is easy when you look past the briks. beds make good mountains and bookcases make excellent skyscrapers.

Carrnevil9
Officer

Post by Carrnevil9 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:59 am

In recent news, Gundam Seed vol 5 episodes 24 and 25 are not playing on any DVD player I own and Gundam Seed Destiny vol 12 does not play on my 360... This fills me with unhappiness, and in this mood of unhappiness I sent their customer support a notice of my displeasure. But this has nothing to do with the topic at hand!

Therefore, I present to you Iron Sword's yellow suit of moderately-close range destruction.

Back:

And of special notice, slightly different cockpit:

This is approximately a size 5 vehicle, along with a structure level of 5 (Honestly, what's the point of building something that big and coloring it brightly if it can't take being punched around for most of an episode?). I'd also like to give it a speed of 10."

Other than the bright yellow claws (yeah, get used to it. They're on every mecha I build at the moment; never hurts to have a primal last attempt weapon) it wields a massive 15" spear with twin 4" blades. To be completely honest, I have no idea how to categorize this weapon (I don't know if that counts as a jousting weapon or if it would better be characterized as a melee weapon.)

This machine, like all my other ones, is most suited for the hands of inexperienced youths, and comes with no anti-theft devices.

CC is more than likely comparable to precious entry, also entitled "Hideous."

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:57 pm

heres some realy good looking mechs that aren't using kk2 parts
i found them on brikshelf so don't ask how they are built

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2919500

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2921130

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2918464

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2913051

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2886833

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2881877

if thats not enough pictures to show you how to conect limbs well then I can find more but that should apease you guys untill i find my camera and build one myself (i might make instructions)