The increasing specialization of LEGO parts...

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Re: The increasing specialization of LEGO parts...

Post by Bragallot » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:39 pm

Word.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:40 pm

Silverdream wrote:
samuelzz10 wrote:
IVhorseman wrote:If somebody can tell me how to use a Hairbrush and a Push-broom I'm all ears.

Seriously, I've had these things since like 1998 and haven't used them as anything other than what they are ONCE.
you could use the hairbrush as the stuff an officer wears on his shoulders on a bigger scale
Epaulettes.
If I had 2, it'd work on a troll. Otherwise, it's waaaay too big for minifig epaulettes.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:50 pm

A broom would be perfect as a support for a wooden platform. The bottom of the broom end would stick under the platform, and you could use some sort of hinge to angle the handle into the wall.

As for the epaulettes, you could just brick-build a figure to use them on. Are we talking about a minifig-scale hairbrush, or one of the larger ones from Belville or something?
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:13 pm

Bragallot wrote:
Colette wrote:I remember there was a flickr group somewhere dedicated to finding other uses for the troll POOP.
The Fantasy trolls are great. The cave troll is a different story.
With the fantasy trolls you could take it's arms and put it on the fantasy dragon. I wouldn't dream of using the cave troll's arms on anything.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

morganm
Dimmy

Post by morganm » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:38 pm

aoffan23 wrote:I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you can't find more than one use for a part, you're not Legoing properly. This excludes POOP figures (like good ol' BURPman).

If you think that specialized parts can't be used as anything else, then take a look through this guy's photostream. I personally enjoy finding alternate uses for specialized parts, and challenge myself every time I get a new one in a set. It really helps stimulate my builder's brain. I recently used a ray gun piece for a robotic claw, made a flagpole out of a steering wheel, rod, flag and microphone, and I frequently use revolvers as angled joints. I just acquired two of those giant plastic olive green wheels from a Chima set, so I'll see what I can do with them.

The only way these parts limit creativity is through lack of effort. It takes a lot more creativity to make a coat rack out of guns that to pile up some 1x1 bricks and say it's a coat rack.
Agreed; my thoughts exactly. I think Lego walks the line pretty well where as MegaTurd fails. By that I mean if you look at all the WoW sets a lot of that stuff is very proprietary; what really limits the uses are lack of studs or other connection points. Then look at a new Lego line like the Hobbit. So much more is re-usable in many different ways.

I personally don't mind the POOP. That BURPman is awesome; I'd totally use him for several things on a Pathfinder game table or BrikWar! The lack of connection points is disappointing but I'd still use him as a mountain giant, a swamp troll, or a poop elemental! Goblinking is epic; don't hate :evil:

pkbrennan
Minifig

Post by pkbrennan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:06 pm

Apart from that pooptroll thing, I have not seen a single Lego part that I could not find several uses for. I cannot always say the same for other brick toys...
The World of Pekab & the Anarcho-Syndicalist Adventurers Guild <== new site

"Everything needs more Dakka, including the Dakka..."

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:05 pm

IVhorseman wrote:...It's waaaay too big for minifig epaulettes.
No such thing.

As for specialized parts, I find them pretty useful for various things. Most of my builds are based around one or two specialized parts.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.