2014 sets

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, fredde

Re: 2014 sets

Postby DeltaV » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:23 pm

Zahru II wrote:Found pictures of 2014 summer HF sets, they pretty much look like final product shots:

http://getaloadofbricks.tumblr.com/post ... ics-source

I would have preferred them to use more bipedal walkers but iguess these work as well. Monsters look great, very zerg/tyranid.

Huh. I do like those plant-bulb thingers. Feed me, Seymour!
Brickwars: the only tabletop wargame that allows the units to have sexual intercourse with each other, produce offspring, and then use said offspring as Size 1 Explosives.
DeltaV
Officer

Postby CADmonkey » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:04 pm

So while everyone has been going on about the new stud-flinging guns in the new Star Wars sets, I picked up one of the new Chima sets and found this:

So many possibilities for brick-built guns. It is my new favourite lego piece.
CADmonkey
G+ | flickr | goodreads
CADmonkey
Hero

Postby Zahru II » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:40 pm

Yup, that part is incredible. I'd like to stock up multiples of it in the future.
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby Whiteagle » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:18 pm

CADmonkey wrote:So while everyone has been going on about the new stud-flinging guns in the new Star Wars sets, I picked up one of the new Chima sets and found this:

FUCK YEAH!
Whiteagle
Mega Blok

Postby Battlegrinder » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:31 pm

Yeah, I noticed those guns a while ago on Bricklink. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to build with them.

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby Ben-Jammin » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:30 am

What is the official name of that piece? I MUST HAVE THEM
Ben-Jammin
My Little Pony

Postby Zahru II » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:35 am

It goes by '6051527: Gun Base 1X2X2/3 W.Knob/Shaft', if that helps searching for it on bricklink.
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby Voin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:40 pm

Blitzen wrote:I hope someone in my family actually gets me LEGO this year. There are so many cool things I want.
Galaxy Squad, even though I hate the alien head figs

I have that one, and it's great. I recommend it if you can still find one.

Zahru II wrote: Also, new minifig pistols that can friction fire 1x1 round studs.

I picked up one of the sets that had those (75036: Utapau Troopers), just to check out the mechanics on the new blasters.

They work pretty great. The first time I fired one, the little 1x1 round plate it fired went so far I couldn't find it for a while. They have decent range on them, at least a forearm-length out. You can even attach a 1x1 brick to the plate to make it a grenade launcher.

Tennysoul wrote: We could have had an awesome Clone War...we got inept robots that get confused and talk to each other in stuttering foolish speak. Rodger rodger?!?!? FUCK ROBOTS!

I agree - the whole point of robot soldiers is so they can't get scared, worried, distracted, disobedient, tired, or suffer morale problems like squishy troopers. I get the feeling that somewhere in the Confederacy, they enslaved a droid programmer, and he just decided to troll everybody.

Battlegrinder wrote:I'm looking forward to the new SW sets. That artillery gun is just screaming for me to stick on a nice big tank

Yeah, not sure why they have the operator's seat wide open like that - might as well hang a sign over his head saying "Snipers Welcome".

stubby wrote: There's a rumor - and I don't know if this is actually true - but the rumor is that the terms of the Star Wars licensing agreement say that any element created for Star Wars can only ever be used for Star Wars. So if there Star Wars elements that Lego thought would be useful in another line

That seems like a silly agreement for them to enter. I can understand SW-specific parts like alien heads and stormtrooper armor (the IP being owned by Lucas Disney), but just regular ol' parts? Then again, companies like that make silly decisions sometimes. I mean, what's up with "LEGO Exclusive" sets? Has anyone ever considered a LEGO purchase and though "well, I was gonna get it, but the thought of some riffraff buying it too just boils my blue blood!". They're selling plastic construction toys, not memberships to a country club that says "No Irish" out front. :?

Stubby, you worked for them - do you know why?

aoffan23 wrote:Holy hell, what makes you so jaded against the prequels? I mean they weren't great movies, but I don't see why you (and other people) think that everything to do with them is shit, and start ranting because some people like stuff from a movie you don't like.

The prequels did give us some good things. Yes, the plot was uninteresting and convoluted, the acting was flat, and goodness knows we could have done without a cartoon rabbit that stepped in the poopy, but the soundtrack and the visuals were still awesome. John Williams wasn't beholden to Lucas' shitty writing - go listen to Duel of the Fates. And I do find the tech on both sides fascinating, especially the ARC-170.

Gungnir wrote:I don't hate the prequels. I'm mostly just indifferent to them. I kinda liked the Clone Wars mini series that Genndy Tartakovsky did.
That said, the Clone Wars cartoon that's being shown now is garbage. Though, that's to be expected. Everything aimed at kids nowadays is garbage.

The 2D one was. The 3D one, however, is surprisingly good. I like that they finally made Anakin not a whiny bitch.

CADmonkey wrote:So while everyone has been going on about the new stud-flinging guns in the new Star Wars sets, I picked up one of the new Chima sets and found this:

So much yes...
Hey y'all, sorry I've been gone for so long, was moving my stuff to a new computer.
Voin
Officer

Postby Silverdream » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:35 am

How dare you say anything bad about Tartakovsky. Seriously, he made Samurai Jack and Dexter's Laboratory. I also remember the 2d cartoon very fondly, they made Grievous out to be a force of nature.

I'm not sure if I mentioned my feelings on the prequels, but Red Letter Media sums everything up perfectly.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby Voin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:46 am

Silverdream wrote:How dare you say anything bad about Tartakovsky. Seriously, he made Samurai Jack and Dexter's Laboratory. I also remember the 2d cartoon very fondly, they made Grievous out to be a force of nature.

I'm not sure if I mentioned my feelings on the prequels, but Red Letter Media sums everything up perfectly.

It wasn't the animation that bugged me, it was more the writing. If only the damn characters had kept their stupid mouths shut, I would have probably enjoyed it more, but noooo... Literally, the first thing out of Anakin's cocktrap was a bunch of self-aggrandizing emo bullshit - when Obi-Wan was trying to (reluctantly, but on Council orders) give him a promotion.

To paraphrase:
"I'm the bestest, ossumest, most epic-est starfighter pilot ever, and everybody knows it! Why can't you see that, Obi-Wan, you big, dumb meanie-head?"

The Anakin in the 3D series was, in contrast, a confident, competent leader, and respected Jedi protocol and tradition, even whilst being a maverick. The 3D series gave us an Anakin we could actually stand to watch onscreen for more than 3 seconds without wanting to punch him repeatedly. More importantly, it gave us an Anakin that seemed plausible as the man Darth Vader once was, the man that Obi-Wan spoke so highly of, instead of a loudmouth little brat that constantly complains about everything.

In other words, IMO, the way Anakin was meant to be portrayed. Obi-Wan was heartbroken when his student and friend fell to the Dark Side, and the audience should have been too. Instead, we were relieved. The very concept of the Chosen One becoming a Dark Lord was to take someone that was a paragon of virtue, a role model, and turn him into the opposite of those things. It'd be like if Captain America went so far to the extreme to keep people safe that he turned into a dictator and established a police state.
Hey y'all, sorry I've been gone for so long, was moving my stuff to a new computer.
Voin
Officer

Postby Whiteagle » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:09 pm

Voin wrote:
Silverdream wrote:How dare you say anything bad about Tartakovsky. Seriously, he made Samurai Jack and Dexter's Laboratory. I also remember the 2d cartoon very fondly, they made Grievous out to be a force of nature.

It wasn't the animation that bugged me, it was more the writing. If only the damn characters had kept their stupid mouths shut, I would have probably enjoyed it more, but noooo... Literally, the first thing out of Anakin's cocktrap was a bunch of self-aggrandizing emo bullshit - when Obi-Wan was trying to (reluctantly, but on Council orders) give him a promotion.

To paraphrase:
"I'm the bestest, ossumest, most epic-est starfighter pilot ever, and everybody knows it! Why can't you see that, Obi-Wan, you big, dumb meanie-head?"

The Anakin in the 3D series was, in contrast, a confident, competent leader, and respected Jedi protocol and tradition, even whilst being a maverick. The 3D series gave us an Anakin we could actually stand to watch onscreen for more than 3 seconds without wanting to punch him repeatedly. More importantly, it gave us an Anakin that seemed plausible as the man Darth Vader once was, the man that Obi-Wan spoke so highly of, instead of a loudmouth little brat that constantly complains about everything.

Ah!
Well that's probably because Tartakovsky was trying to write an interquel between Episodes 2 and 3, so 2D Anakin's character had to match up with the shitty Live-action one...
Everything besides him is fucking awesome though.
Whiteagle
Mega Blok

Postby Voin » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:46 pm

Whiteagle wrote:Ah!
Well that's probably because Tartakovsky was trying to write an interquel between Episodes 2 and 3, so 2D Anakin's character had to match up with the shitty Live-action one...

So extremely awesome, in fact, that it might be best considered non-canonical. The Jedi in the 2D series can lay low entire armies of droids single-handedly, punch trough droid armor with their bare hands, and practically fly with epic force jumps. There's a huge disparity between the demigods we see them as in Tartakovsky's work, and the - by comparison - nerfed versions of regular ol' psychic samurai-monks with magic swords (IN SPACE!) we see in all the rest of the SW saga.

Perhaps the 2D series can be considered the "legends of the jedi" that people would have heard in-universe, embellished over many retellings, not unlike the fantasy-epic 300, which was presented by an unreliable narrator?

"Huzzah, the Jedi are here - my cousin in the next system over said a friend of his roommate's mom saw a Jedi blow up a Separatist starship with just a stern look!"
Voin
Officer

Postby Whiteagle » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:43 pm

Voin wrote:
Whiteagle wrote:Ah!

So extremely awesome, in fact, that it might be best considered non-canonical. The Jedi in the 2D series can lay low entire armies of droids single-handedly, punch trough droid armor with their bare hands, and practically fly with epic force jumps. There's a huge disparity between the demigods we see them as in Tartakovsky's work, and the - by comparison - nerfed versions of regular ol' psychic samurai-monks with magic swords (IN SPACE!) we see in all the rest of the SW saga.

Perhaps the 2D series can be considered the "legends of the jedi" that people would have heard in-universe, embellished over many retellings, not unlike the fantasy-epic 300, which was presented by an unreliable narrator?

Techincally, it IS...
I think the Fandom has made it an EU thing created by that kid on Datooine who saw Mace take down the Earthquake Machine.
Whiteagle
Mega Blok

Postby Brikguy0410 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:59 pm

My favorite character in those movies is this guy:

http://0.tqn.com/d/animatedtv/1/0/y/4/c ... 1162_l.jpg

He has a name, I think it's captain rondo or something like that, also he's the one in the red outlined armor, he pulls some pretty neat stunts and saves obi-wan from durge, the guy that was leading those droids on the speeders, durge is pretty cool and also maverick should fear him a according to the cannon he has a deep hatred for madolorians
Last edited by Brikguy0410 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brikguy0410
Official Forum Science and History Expert

Postby Gungnir » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:13 pm

Brikguy0410 wrote:pulls some pretty neat aunts

Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
Gungnir
Dimmy

PreviousNext

Return to Bricks