XF-9v 'Pincer'

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: fredde, Dr. X, ikensall

XF-9v 'Pincer'

Postby Dr. X » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:59 pm

The XF-9v 'Pincer' is a prototype designed to test the capabilities of the new ion pincer technology. The ion pincers were designed to disable ships, without the use of heavy or numerous ion blasts or conner nets. The XF-9v simply maneuvers near the ship it wants to disable, finds some protruding element small enough to fit between the pincers, and latches on like Bonn-o-Tron. Then the pincers deliver an ion shock many times greater than that of one in an energy bolt, usually rendering all or part of the ship temporarily inoperative.

One day I decided to dump out all of my gray boxes and build a fighter, so, I did. This is what came out. It all started when I found that dark gray engine piece (I just figured out it only comes in the UCS X-wing, and is worth 15 bucks. WTF) in the back, and stuck it into the ball socket. Only after I added those overhang pieces on the end of the pincers did I think of the ion shock idea.

Full gallery here on Flickr.

What do you think?

-Dr. X
I think those stats only apply to non-Mexicans.
Dr. X
Galidor

Postby Theblackdog » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:59 am

It has an extremely interesting look in the side shot, and I like the way you built around that canopy piece, but from the top it looks sort of plain. Some greebling on the pincer arms might help, as would a couple of small vertical fins, but overall I like this a lot. Nice work.
Could be used in a ground battle as a minifig-snatcher... just grab on to the enemy's commander and drop him in the middle of your base.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby pesgores » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:25 pm

Do the claws touch eachother?
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby Ross_Varn » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:43 pm

What size are the pinchers? Because if they are small enough, you need to put a couple of laser cannons on the wings, for taking down small enemies.

Good ship, by the way.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Dr. X » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:47 pm

Thanks guys!

@Pesgores: Almost. They're a little less than two studs apart when fully closed.

@Ammoman: Actually, I forgot to attach the cannons when I took the pictures. In real life, under the rear wings are two small black cannons.
Dr. X
Galidor

Postby Ross_Varn » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:51 pm

Oh OK. I was just thinking that it needs some defense besides a giant CC weapon, otherwise it would get blasted out of the sky. The ion blast would probably take a turn to recharge, wouldn't it? That would be a severe drain on the batteries.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby pesgores » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:03 pm

No, in real life, the ship wouldn't even start the engine.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby Dr. X » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:00 am

Hey, this is in the Space theme we're talking. Futuristic civilizations can easily cram a battery and/or power source into a small fighter. But Ammoman is right, not even they could make a power source strong enough to repeatedly generate that kind of ion blast with much rapidity, without draining the fighter so much it drops out of the sky. It takes about 3-5 minutes for the pincers to recharge.
Last edited by Dr. X on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. X
Galidor

Postby Pvt Expendable » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:42 pm

wow nice work
Pvt Expendable
Dimmy

Return to Bricks