BOAR-216 Heavy Command Tank

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, fredde

BOAR-216 Heavy Command Tank

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:22 pm

I Think I started working on this thing about a year ago.

For when the files are public, the link above will work. Till then, you've just got this.

The whole thing is close to 40 studs long (from the end of the cannon's barrel to the back of the tank), and is fully functional. The turret rotates, the main hatch opens and closes (and leads directly to the control room).

The turret/hatch assembly was particularly difficult, because I wanted the hatch to go through where the turret rotates, and most rotating lego pieces are solid circles with no hollow centers. The solution was to use crazy SNOT to get curved arches interlinked with large pegs, and have the turret go in that way (NOTE: turning the tank upside down causes the turret to fall off).

The front armor also lifts up to reveal the engine block. The engine is also removable so that the crew can work on it. The crew is comprised of a driver (has the face mask), a gunner (standard hard-hat troop), and a Heavy machine gunner.

Gamewise, this tank is the forefront of every major assault led by the Galactic Corporate Alliance, and is built by Braintrust Industries. It's facilitated to have an easy user-interface so that little training is required to operate the main cannon and most other components, however the driver must still undergo extensive training. Ladders on the side were installed so that this tank can roll into battle carrying several troops sitting on top of the tank and holding onto the sides, and the inner control room is airtight. The main gun is also modular, and interchangeable with several other weapon types. It earned the "Boar" title due to it's front spikes looking eerily like massive tusks.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby pesgores » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:38 pm

ZOMG

ECS-ELLENT
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby Ross_Varn » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:41 pm

I like the make. Is it suppose to be a moving artillery/command center?

9.5/10 - Love the design. Should be non multicolored, but i realize that you probably made do with what you had.
Ross_Varn
Blockguy

Postby Bonn-o-Tron » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:31 pm

Awesome tank, dude.
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:
Bonn-o-Tron
Playmobil

Postby OneEye589 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Awesome. The way you did the turret is amazing, a really good build. The colors make it even better.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby Shaeph » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:05 pm

Nice!
love the use of jungle-cutter treads
Spend each day as if it were your last.
------------------------------------------------------
"Weekends don't count unless you do something completely pointless." - Calvin
Shaeph
Cannon Fodder

Postby Dr. X » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:06 pm

Holy crap. Yet another reason proving that IV's title of Tank Snob is perfectly fitting.
I think those stats only apply to non-Mexicans.
Dr. X
Galidor

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:47 pm

Shaeph wrote:Nice!
love the use of jungle-cutter treads

I specifically bought the Jungle Cutter for the treads for this Tank. Part of the reason this thing took so long to build is because I ran out of bricks twice during construction.
IVhorseman

Postby Blitzen » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:30 pm

I remember you talking about this tank, and now it's finally DONE.

Lovely.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.
Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:53 pm

Acccctually I finished in August, didn't take pictures till Turkey Day. Having moved to college makes it hard to get to Legos. I plan on photographing the rest of my armies next visit back (and in group shots. Sure my vehicles may have detail, but it takes waaaay too long to talk about each one individually).
IVhorseman

Postby silvadream » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:15 pm

You Win!
silvadream
Cannon Fodder

Postby Theblackdog » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:37 am

Love the frontal armor and main gun. Awesome work.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.
Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Jaye Tea » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:49 pm

I love that color scheme and the ninja at the controls. This one sweet tank, but I don't know about the barrel, as in the brown barrel, not the whole barrel of the gun.
Glory be to the Bomb, and to the Holy Fallout. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be. World without end. May the Blessings of the Bomb Almighty, and the Fellowship of the Holy Fallout, descend upon us all. This day and forever more. Amen!
Jaye Tea
Officer

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:28 am

The guy with the ninja hood's just manning the heavy MG. The guy at the controls has that crazy face mask (bonus points if you guys can figure out how I did it).

Also, without the barrel at the end the hole for the shell just looked wimpy and tiny (it was one of those holes for a technic pin). I was messing around and saw a good way to latch on that barrel and it really gives a nice, chunky feel to the muzzle. Lets you know that when this thing shoots, it shoots.
IVhorseman

Postby OneEye589 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:21 am

Too easy. You just used the visor from those Aqua-whatever sets (I never bothered much with names), stuck the hole that the minifig looks through over the neck, then stuck the head on like Bonn-o-Tron.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Next

Return to Bricks