Construction Techniques for the needy!

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: fredde, Dr. X, ikensall

Construction Techniques for the needy!

Postby IVhorseman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:02 am

okay, i'm kicking this thread off as an all-encompassing "HOW DO I BUILT (ITEM) LOL?" sort of thread. when you're looking for an idea on how exactly you're going to make the joints for something, or a good way to make a gun type, this is your thread.

and to start off, i have a dilemma. i built a REALLY cool turret for a heavy battle tank. Specifically, i built a turret that has a body with an attached (interchangeable) gun barrel. now, the main body of the turret has a really cool hatch built on top that opens up, and reveals space for a minifig to enter the tank. THE PROBLEM: i want to be able to place the turret on a tank body that would utilize this hatch for entry, AND include a full, 360 degree rotation of said turret. this is more difficult than it sounds; to fill these requirements involves the turret rotating around a hollow point. i don't know how to do it, but i've seen tanks on Brickshelf that do this (for example, sean sullivan's Panzer VI Tiger tank). halp plox?
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Carrnevil9 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:22 am

Idea stage: 100%
Prototype stage: 100%

Dimmy Colorization Hazard
Rare Part Warning

Essentially, I built a turntable from scratch. The round parts can be found on the latest Castle castle and the Millennium Falcon. Essentially, you need to create a wheel for the rotating turret to stay in contact with at all times that does not hamper rotation. Side note: without any kind of lip to seal the top of the turntable in place, the 'lid' may come off relatively easily.

Method 2

Idea stage: 100%
Prototype Stage: 72%

Part(s) Missing: Quarter Semicircle Slope x2, 2x2 Cylinder

This is the same basic idea, but backwards. There is less maneuvering room inside however.

There may be other methods of of solving this puzzle.
Brawl Friend Code: 14MN0-TY0URF-R13ND

"Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone." GLaDOS
Carrnevil9
Officer

Postby G2 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:43 am

The way that I have seen it done, is to build the turret on "stilts", and have these stilts attached to a turntable which sits a lot lower inside the tank body, this should give you the hatch access you need.

Have a look at this turret design (by one of my favourite builders).
G2
Hero

Postby IVhorseman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:02 pm

okay, i THINK i'm going to attempt something like Carrnevil9's second method. it's less inside maneuvering sure, but i've got both all the pieces, and it takes up far less space (i think). i'll go test it out in a bit.

EDIT: okay, so i did it, and i am VERY VERY VERY impressed. i was up until around 1 in the morning with my eyes wide open and my jaw on the floor.

unfortunately, i ran out of lego pieces for a full on tank. in fact, i used almost all of them making a ridiculous looking gun

fortunately, i've informed my friends i am willing to buy their legos off of them, and am currently in the process of buying a 5 gallon bucket full of brix at 4 bucks a pound XD.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby G2 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:59 pm

Hey IVhorseman, keep us informed as to how you go with that turret design, and don't forget to post some pics if you get a chance.
G2
Hero

Postby Almighty Benny » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:35 am

I want to keep this thread alive because it's a great idea. I have no idea why it was abandoned after only one help request. Anyway, to avoid looking like a shameless bump, I need to do something drastic. HAZZAH!

I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...
Almighty Benny
Galidor

Postby Commander Evil » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:37 am

Almighty Benny wrote:I want to keep this thread alive because it's a great idea. I have no idea why it was abandoned after only one help request. Anyway, to avoid looking like a shameless bump, I need to do something drastic. HAZZAH!

OH GOD, I REMEMBER READING ABOUT THE ORIGINAL IN BASIC DESIGN
Commander Evil
Hero

Postby Moronstudios » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:00 am

Commander Evil wrote:
Almighty Benny wrote:I want to keep this thread alive because it's a great idea. I have no idea why it was abandoned after only one help request. Anyway, to avoid looking like a shameless bump, I need to do something drastic. HAZZAH!

OH GOD, I REMEMBER READING ABOUT THE ORIGINAL IN BASIC DESIGN

:shock: That is a wonderful creation, who built it?
Looking for Vancouver Island players: http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1194
Moronstudios
Mega Blok

Postby Almighty Benny » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:00 am

I don't know the name but this is their website: http://www.lipsons.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Also, for the future, you really don't have to quote the last thing that was said, if you just respond then people will generally know that, yes, you are in fact a part of the conversation. Also, if you feel it absolutely necessary that we reread exactly what we just read, at least delete the very large image that was included in the quote so that we don't have to scroll through it 3 times. Quoting is meant for referring back to a specific piece of a post that you want to single out, or for going back to something that was said much earlier in the topic.
Almighty Benny
Galidor

Postby Carda » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:58 am

Clicked the link, got a huge 404.

I'm mainly trying to figure out how it's possible to actually build something like that out of Lego and maintain the optical illusion...

EDIT: After killing about 3000 retinal cells staring at that pic I'm positive that this thing has to be ten kinds of photoshopped, and I will be pleasantly surprised and impressed if someone can prove to me otherwise...
Last edited by Carda on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bravo 13th: A Lego webcomic

http://lessthan3.netraptor.org/bravo13th/
Carda
Officer

Postby Tzan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:05 pm

Wow thats nice!

*resisting temptation to quote everything in this thread*
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Olothontor » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:58 pm

You're kidding me! That's gotta be photoshopped!

PASS ME THE BRAIN-O, MA!
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna

Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby Almighty Benny » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:09 pm

Yeah, don't know why the link doesn't work, it was fine last night.
Anyway, there was no photoshopping involved at all, you just have to learn not to trust your eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIpdajUH ... re=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ukdpt7ZrUJA&feature=related

And if you REALLY want me to ruin the secret...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHxiYM62 ... re=related

WARNING: The preceding video links contains spoilers, if you've already watched them, too bad.
Almighty Benny
Galidor

Postby Bonn-o-Tron » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:24 pm

Nice, thanks for those videos.
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:
Bonn-o-Tron
Playmobil

Postby Almighty Benny » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:28 pm

You're welcome Bonn-O

How's THAT for a construction technique?

Another satisfied customer. Keep this thread alive!
Almighty Benny
Galidor

Next

Return to Bricks