STORY TIME WITH STUBBY

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, fredde

Postby Warhead » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:38 pm

Nah, I don't think I will shut up actually, and here's why.

The Piltogg thing aside. You brought that up not me.

I too loved the NASA space program but it's a farce, a puppet show for fools. I suspect it has always been nothing more than a PR stunt for civic pride. Despite what I wish it could be I have no faith in mankind to make the required effort to get anything done right. You need to wake up and take a look around you.

As I look back to when I was a young lad I see I had to suffer all the bullshit lies for years and years about America only to find out once I'm old enough that what I used to find admirable was a steaming pile of turd, just LIKE ANY OTHER COUNTRY. Now, I've to keep my mouth shut, because someone's over inflated sense of national importance means they're too proud to smell the shit they're wallowing in... all that America is the best crap they fed me through the TV as a kid... and then, when the mask slips and I'm finally shown just how riddled with fail America is just LIKE ANY OTHER COUNTRY and how much of a bunch of skinflint chiselling evil bastards the people are who run the show again just LIKE ANY OTHER COUNTRY then I'm to keep quite about it in case I offend those buying into the pish... I think you must have the wrong Warhead.

The people on board the Challenger died as a result of accounting expediency... you want to defend that?
Image
Image
Motherfucker!
User avatar
Warhead
Blockguy
 
Posts: 10909
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:07 pm
Location: I'm Momnipresent.

Postby Ross_Varn » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:44 pm

No. I don't. I just get pissed whenever someone mentions Challenger, mainly because of the utter stupidity that caused it.

I'm really not going to get into a political flamewar, mainly because it won't end well. But... even if the American space program is a false face for civic pride, as you put it, do you see anything else happening? I'll put my faith in humankind, even if half the time it doesn't work out... I'm at that naive spot in my life, mate. Allow me some time to think about it.
User avatar
Ross_Varn
Blockguy
 
Posts: 5651
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:03 pm
Location: Procrastinating.

Postby james+burgundy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:10 pm

:omnom: Team Warhead! salty his talk may be but dam if it don't sound good.
User avatar
james+burgundy
Pooplord
 
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:34 pm

Postby Ross_Varn » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:13 pm

mainly because I don't have the experience to hold a coherent thought. It's a line of thinking with MY text.
User avatar
Ross_Varn
Blockguy
 
Posts: 5651
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:03 pm
Location: Procrastinating.

Postby james+burgundy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:17 pm

No I am Team Warhead mainly because your opinion is a bunch of bull shit with no backing other then your sob story about how great NASA is and how we should not make fun of a bunch of people that got blown up because someone else fucked up the job. This is Brik Wars for crying out loud ! Violence is the law of the land and the most unexpected it is the funnier it is.
User avatar
james+burgundy
Pooplord
 
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:34 pm

Postby stubby » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:34 pm

The challenger thing is funny for what it represents to different people. I've had a bunch of friends and relatives working for NASA at different times over the years, so the thought of seeing a couple of them getting blown up for the sake of egg on NASA's face is pretty acceptable to me. Acceptable losses and all that.

NASA was pretty epic when the Space Race was at its height and all the best and the brightest were clawing their way to get in there. Like, just imagine where we'd be now if satellites never got past Sputnik-class? But once Reagan started slashing their funding over and over again in the eighties, and convincing good-ol'-boys like j+b that scientific progressiveness was nerds-only, the best and brightest at NASA left for greener pastures, leaving only the assholes in charge for the next twenty years or so.

I remember the challenger event, it was one of the first times I got in big trouble at school as a kid. They'd been hyping up this teacher-in-space thing for weeks, and every classroom had to sit and watch the live coverage on TV, because if there's one thing teachers love it's stories about other teachers. I was sitting next to a friend of mine, and neither of us thought much of the whole proceedings, but when that shuttle went pop! we both busted out laughing. Take that, teachers! It turned out that this was not considered an acceptable response by the still-unpopped member of teacherdom in the front of the classroom, so it was off to the principal's office for us.
User avatar
stubby
forum janitor
 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Postby 501stCadians » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:43 pm

@Oneye: Yes, the olympics are cool.

@J+B:

Nasa is one of the most important organizations in north america, right up there with Microsoft and the lego company. Nasa has improved every day life in many ways. Were it not for NASA, computers would not have been miniaturized(because heavy computers are bad), and we would have not headed to the moon in the 60s, we wouldn't be GOING BACK (soon). NASA has also given you the satellites you need to talk to us. They put those in space. If it were not for NASA, you would have never found Brikwars. And NASA has helped bring the US and Canada together. Look at Canada- We spent a half a billion on making a robot arm, and then we gave it to the US. And that's why on CNN, they call it the Robot arm. I guess the can't read French.

Ontop of all that, one must note that Apollo 1, Challenger, and Columbia were(as far as i know) the only Deadly accidents in Nasa's 50 or 60 year history. The Soviet Union had far more accidents, and bigger losses of life.
I saw the columbia break up on CNN. NONE of you have the right to insult the men and women who died on all three accidents.
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!

Image
Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.
User avatar
501stCadians
Playmobil
 
Posts: 1552
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Postby Ross_Varn » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:51 pm

And with that nugget of wisdom, Stubby, I believe I shall stop looking at this thread. Goddammit.
User avatar
Ross_Varn
Blockguy
 
Posts: 5651
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:03 pm
Location: Procrastinating.

Postby james+burgundy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:57 pm

501stCadians Lego is not a North American "organization" it is a Danish company so it really has nothing to do with this. NASA is also not a Canadian owned or operated organization so I really do fail to see why any of us AMERICANS should even registry your post being that you have nothing to do with NASA, but for the sake of my great hatred of all things Canadian I shall give this post talking space.

You can not say that if not for NASA we would not have had all this tech that we have now, the matter can go one way or another. You do not know as a fact that the tech would not exist with out NASA so justifying NASA by those measures does not hold. Personally I think that the cold war would have made up for a lot of this tech stuff but that is also just opinion not fact. The idea that Canada and American would have any better relations because of NASA is just one more reason for me to hate NASA. As for your one billion robot are whoop dee fucking do here have a cookie no one gives a flying fuck about Canada and its "big" contribution to NASA, which brings me back to why the heck is a Canadian even talking about NASA?
User avatar
james+burgundy
Pooplord
 
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:34 pm

Postby 501stCadians » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:22 pm

james+burgundy wrote:501stCadians Lego is not a North American "organization" it is a Danish company so it really has nothing to do with this. NASA is also not a Canadian owned or operated organization so I really do fail to see why any of us AMERICANS should even registry your post being that you have nothing to do with NASA, but for the sake of my great hatred of all things Canadian I shall give this post talking space.

You can not say that if not for NASA we would not have had all this tech that we have now, the matter can go one way or another. You do not know as a fact that the tech would not exist with out NASA so justifying NASA by those measures does not hold. Personally I think that the cold war would have made up for a lot of this tech stuff but that is also just opinion not fact. The idea that Canada and American would have any better relations because of NASA is just one more reason for me to hate NASA. As for your one billion robot are whoop dee fucking do here have a cookie no one gives a flying fuck about Canada and its "big" contribution to NASA, which brings me back to why the heck is a Canadian even talking about NASA?



Allow me to disect your post here, and correct you.

I never said that the TLC is a North-American Organization. I said it was still important in North America, as it employs a shittion of people(like our own Rayhawk at one point). Next, i again Never Stated that NASA was Canadian owned or operated. Canada still has a major contribution to the space program however, as it has a huge impact on the US and vice versa. What's more, you are wrong again: With the exception of espionage technology, which would mostly likely not be released, alot of the computers we see today would be more falloutesque- bulky, large, not portable in the slightest, all tubes and reels. Miniaturization was a direct result of NASA. What's more Burgundy, you should have respect for Canada. Of the 12 times the US has invaded Canada, we have kicked the US's Ass each time. On top of that, alot more of the World likes Canada more than the US. We are proud of the fact that we are the only country to become a country by asking nicely.

So, your rebuttal sirrah.
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!

Image
Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.
User avatar
501stCadians
Playmobil
 
Posts: 1552
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Postby Elmagnifico » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:22 pm

:omnom: Yes, yes, we know the Challenger was a tragedy, some people find it funny, the space program was awesome, but now it sucks, etc. etc., but could we please talk about something entertaining (such as more school stories from Stubby), my popcorn is becoming steadily less interesting.
READTHEFORUMCODE!!!
Varsaavius wrote:As the size of the explosion increases, the amount of social situations it can't resolve approaches zero.
User avatar
Elmagnifico
Mega Blok
 
Posts: 1483
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: Still Controversial to Some Douches

Postby OneEye589 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:25 pm

James+Burgundy is turning into a horrible bastardization of himself and tahthing now.

NASA is a government agency, and is no way a "Danish company." Stop while you're still a hundred miles behind.

@Silvadream: That's not funding for the Olympics, that's Canada being stupid and spending a bunch of money to make itself look fancy for the Olympics. The Olympics organizers aren't collecting tax money to pay for everything. A country sponsors them every time the Olympics come around, and the country spends tax-payer's money to give them a place to put it even though they have plenty of places they already could have it.
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Postby james+burgundy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:25 pm

Not bad for just three posts now I just sit back and enjoy :omnom:
User avatar
james+burgundy
Pooplord
 
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:34 pm

Postby Warhead » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:06 pm

What the fuck are you all talking about?.. (rhetorical question) here let me help.

Image

Stubby, I watched it at home so I never got the opportunity, but that made me laugh.
Image
Image
Motherfucker!
User avatar
Warhead
Blockguy
 
Posts: 10909
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:07 pm
Location: I'm Momnipresent.

Postby stubby » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:47 pm

Elmagnifico wrote:could we please talk about something entertaining (such as more school stories from Stubby), my popcorn is becoming steadily less interesting.

Hey that story made me suddenly remember another story from a little while later.

So some time that same year, my mom pulls me in to the family room to tell me something important. One of my classmates' moms had just called with bad news: my teacher was in a car accident and had been killed. Thinking back to my previous experience with the Challenger, I put on a very serious face and told my mom I thought I needed some time to myself in my room. I remained serious all the way to my room, locked the door, and stuffed my face deep into a pillow so she couldn't overhear me laughing maniacally. It's a very happy memory for me; I HATED that teacher.

It was the weekend, so I got to be happy a couple more days before we found out on Monday that that busybody mom had got her info wrong and it was actually the teacher's dad who'd been killed. Dammit!
User avatar
stubby
forum janitor
 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Bricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests