The new set reviews thread!

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, fredde

Postby Bennanteno » Sun May 04, 2008 7:32 pm

Anyone have the jungle cutter yet? Giant sawmobiles are VERY brikwars :D
Bennanteno
Officer

Postby superdave » Thu May 08, 2008 11:56 am

I do have the Jungle Cutter. It's pretty spectacular: giant ants, a rifle, an automatic pistol, giant sawblades, treasure, tank treads, trees, and an RPG with a spare round. The parts alone would be easy to use in a BW match; the set as constructed would be awesome too. The blades on the front spin as the vehicle moves, and they're conveniently mounted at minifig-neck height. Finally, the cutter has a built-in destruction mechanism that blows off the engine housing (I suppose that's for when it gets hit by the RPG, but it could just be that I rolled high on my 1d10+3 exp).

It's a great set- and, if you hurry, you can buy it on sale at TRU this week (May 4-10) at 20% off.
TROLOLO
superdave
Hero

Postby Tzan » Thu May 08, 2008 12:25 pm

TRU Teen Research Unlimited

http://www.teenresearch.com/home.cfm

They didnt have it :(
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Carda » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:31 pm

Well, I've gotten several sets in the past few weeks, so it's time to stop lurking and start reviewing! Rapid-fire impressions! (no pics yet, sorry)

Jungle Duel (7624 - Indy, Crystal Skull)

Three minifigs for ten bucks? I'm sold already! Like the Motorcycle Chase set, this was a set I bought primarily for the minifigs (Indy, Shia LeBeouf, and Cate Blanchett), although there's several other good features. The tent can serve as an outpost of some sort, and the table is built in two pieces so it can be sliced in half. Also, a swiveling weapon rack is provided, along with numerous weapons and other assorted things for minifigs to hold: a broadsword, a gold katana, two daggers, two cutlasses, a frying pan, a drumstick, a banana... Yeah. Also, a few ants for whatever critter purposes you desire.

River Chase (7625 - Indy, Crystal Skull)

An amphibious jeep, a boat, a tree post with net trap, two soviet soldiers, Indy, and Marion (in slightly more conservative attire this time). Also, a modern looking pistol! Woo! Oh yeah, and a crocodile.

Dwarven Mine Defender (7040, Castle)

A dwarf and two trolls (one carrying a standard, very nice for a squad of trolls), along with a siege engine of sorts. A pair of Lego chains serve as a pull-chain to work the catapult, rather than whacking down on the other end. The saw blades on the front are supposed to be driven by the wheels, but the rubber band provided doesn't really cut it. I'd rather power the blades myself anyway.

Jetpack Pursuit (8631, Agents)

Chainsaw arm FTW. All else is secondary to this. Still, plenty of cool features, such as a hook on the back of the jetpack that snags the stolen gem away from the back of the snowmobile (which is built quite awesomely itself). The agent has a "serious" face and an "it's-never-too-dark-to-be-cool" face.

Swamp Raid (8632, Agents)

"Break Jaw", as the box calls him, is awesomely evil-looking. An "exploding" bridge provides some nifty interactivity, and not one, but TWO radio-controlled crocodiles. The motorcycle is built extremely well, and looks to be a unique design (at least, I certainly haven't seen it before). There's also a little getaway boat for the villain. The base looks like it has the potential for some very nice synergy with the River Chase set's tree post.

Overall Impressions

Out of all these, I have to say that I'm loving the Agents sets the most right now. They're totally BrikWarsian, from the vehicles to the firepower. My biggest gripe is that they use little stick-looking things for guns. Why couldn't they have used the same kind of pistol that was in the River Chase set, I wonder? It looks sufficiently "secret agenty" enough to me. In any case, if you're looking to run a modern or mixed setting for your next BW campaign, grab some of the Agents sets. From what I've seen of the new Castle sets, those are excellent for a medieval setting as well. Very "steampunk fantasy" inspired, I'd say, especially with the "held together with duct tape and spit" look of the trolls' tools of warfare, not to mention the dwarves' obvious love of overkill on their own weaponry. I mean, come on, a catapult AND thresher? That's totally wrong in so many awesome ways.
Bravo 13th: A Lego webcomic

http://lessthan3.netraptor.org/bravo13th/
Carda
Officer

Postby Carrnevil9 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:54 pm

The thresher is for mining. Dwarves obviously mine with catapults. Underground.
Brawl Friend Code: 14MN0-TY0URF-R13ND

"Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone." GLaDOS
Carrnevil9
Officer

Postby Bonn-o-Tron » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:38 am

Oh man! I didn't realize the Agents and the new Castle sets were out. I wanna get that Troll Assault Wagon, 27 bucks for another giant troll!
Bonn-o-Tron
Playmobil

Postby domo-kun » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:08 pm

gosh whoever made the eyes on taejo is racist
domo-kun
Champion

Postby Blitzen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:12 am

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/racist wrote:rac·ism

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Nope.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.
Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Postby Erasmas » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:25 am

I highly recommend both the Dwarven Mine set and the Jungle Cutter.
As superdave said above already... the Cutter has lots of great parts, but put together as is makes it pretty sweet. I've actually been thinking about trying to turn the top surface into an enclosed space for minifigs and adding a turret to make it into more of a tank.

That's right, I said it... a tank with giant head-chopping buzzsaws!
:lol:
I am the Pantless Wonder!
TROLOLO
Erasmas
Hero

Previous

Return to Bricks