Moderators: fredde, Dr. X, ikensall

Re: Lego doodles POST THEM

Postby Zahru II » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:22 pm

STDs should be STDs then
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby stubby » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:28 pm

You know who the superpowers are because other powers define themselves in relation to them. Asterios has 15,000 minifigs, but how many factions do you see talking about whether or not they're for or against Asterios?

Compare to, for instance, the Immortals. Everybody feels obligated to say whether their faction is pro- or anti-Immortal. Clearly the Immortals command attention in a way that Asterios does not.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby pkbrennan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:00 pm

Who are Asterios?

lol

I think Stubby has it down pat: Everybody either wants to join the Immortals or obliterate them. Hence, they are an important faction in the Brikverse.

Mine are just some hobos from the boonies of the Brikverse, but their day will come... or not. Doesn't really matter as I am only doing this for giggles.
The World of Pekab & the Anarcho-Syndicalist Adventurers Guild <== new site

"Everything needs more Dakka, including the Dakka..."
pkbrennan
Cannon Fodder

Postby Apollyon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:13 pm

stubby wrote:You know who the superpowers are because other powers define themselves in relation to them. Asterios has 15,000 minifigs, but how many factions do you see talking about whether or not they're for or against Asterios?

That's why you need at least two assets. A SHDT just rolls over these 15.000 figs merrily.
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!
Apollyon
constantly striving to using proper grammar

Postby Apollyon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:21 pm

aoffan23 wrote:I thin STD is Super Death Tank, while SHDT refers to a Super Hover Death Tank. That being said, I think a STD gives you plenty of power, as well.

For me both are the same. I prefer to say SHDT. The first time these vehicles were spoken about was in the Fall of Fico thread:

Warhead wrote:It is to be an Immortal Nightmare Superheavy Tank and I'd just park it where ever the fuck I liked.

The first to build one was Natalya of course with the Vanquisher and she just called it a Super Death Tank. No matter what is is called the point is it has to be:

Natalya wrote:an invincible machine of death

/end of lecture on Brikwars history
Apollyon

Postby stubby » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:36 pm

Apollyon wrote:That's why you need at least two assets. A SHDT just rolls over these 15.000 figs merrily.

I'd take an equivalent-CP army of minifigs versus a lone SHDT or Armoured Core any day. Their weapons are not optimized for use against loose swarms of small targets, especially once they've climbed up onto their surface.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Apollyon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:24 pm

stubby wrote:
Apollyon wrote:That's why you need at least two assets. A SHDT just rolls over these 15.000 figs merrily.

I'd take an equivalent-CP army of minifigs versus a lone SHDT or Armoured Core any day. Their weapons are not optimized for use against loose swarms of small targets, especially once they've climbed up onto their surface.

My own SHDT (233CPs tank costs + 47CPs for the crew) vs. ~31 minifigs (4CPs for the fig + 5CPs for long range guns) ?

:iconcur:
Apollyon

Postby Bragallot » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:33 pm

Zerg rush always works. But that's why superweapons aren't deployed on their own.

On a sidenote, I built a frikken hardsuit. Pictures soon.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot
Forum Authority on Bragging Rights

Postby stubby » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:54 pm

Apollyon wrote:My own SHDT (233CPs tank costs + 47CPs for the crew) vs. ~31 minifigs (4CPs for the fig + 5CPs for long range guns) ?

No long range guns - I'd be focusing everything on getting my guys onto the tank itself, so attacks at range would only result in hitting my own dudes with missed shots. I'd be putting the budget into jetpacks and chainsaws instead. I want them fast enough to outmaneuver the tank, and airborne to decrease the chances of getting caught in a blast radius.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Quantumsurfer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:06 pm

Yeah, that's the thing though, innit? You look up at the banner, you know, if you aren't the guy who created it, and you see Warhead and friends there and you think, gee, this Warhead must be pretty damn important. You scroll through some dozen threads and you see Warhead in at least half of them, either the man himself posting or someone referencing the Immortals and that's pretty much confirmed. (And why not, Warhead A.) is an awesome character fully deserving of his place in the canon, B.) has an awesome army with a bajillion pieces and a really good story, and C.) understands the value of lightheartedness when telling that story). So, obviously, Immortals are a superpower. Who else commands that kind of respect and power, really?

You've got the Assyrians? Badass AC, best goddamn capital ship I've ever seen, and a really cool sigfig (who is awesome for a lot of reasons, not the least of which, imo, is the fact that she's NOT the leader of her faction). Certainly, they've had their share of appearances, as well. Natalya is one of the best big builders here and she's a clever builder too as even her smallest creations carry a charm few others can match. Now, she's switched focus (I remember reading that you were more comfortable with the Canadians, Natalya?) to a new faction...even switched over that sigfig. The Canadia Star Legion isn't nearly as "important" or "influential" as the ASE but its not really less cool. And where do we draw the line between the creator and the faction there?

Maybe the factions of Medivo? Off the top of my head, I count three? four? players who've based characters and entire factions off of that overarching story. Legions of amazing, unique minifig regiments, a storyline that keeps expanding at a fairly magnificent rate (it may be one of the Only storylines that consistently evolves here). Several important sigfigs, some even with their own Rayhawk brand artwork. One guy spawns this world and now its fully inhabited by at least one other player and personally referenced by a couple more. It's scattered among them, sure, but I'm not sure that makes it weaker. Seems to have made it more important. Similar to what's been said about social influence, only more direct.

How about the Scythian Empire? Shadowscythe is damn prolific in LDD. It may not be "real lego" but first, he's proven himself squarely in that area anyway, and second, there's still a lot of work and creativity involved there. Those ideas, coupled with his excellent brikfic, make his faction extremely well respected. There's a huge chunk of it that doesn't actually even exist physically, but there it is.

And on and on all the way down to the little people. I've gotten several compliments on my "faction" and I'm not even sure it's even a thing yet.

So I'm not discounting social influence but...where's the line? If we say that a faction has to be as influential as the Immortals, well, I think we'll have to stretch a few arguments to get any other faction recognized as a superpower. If 100 people like one thing and 99 different people like another, we don't discount the 99. That's nearly half our demographic. That's why I think it doesn't matter. Importance is relative. I could ask all of my friends if they know who Warhead the Immortal is. Perhaps one would know, if he's been looking at the wiki since he expressed an interest. 3 or 4 would be all like, "Is he a highlander? I don't remember him..." and then proceed to bore me to death with how awesome Methos is. The rest would ask if I was talking about sour candies or give me blank looks. What I think does matter is content. If you've produced a lot of it and haven't been booed off the forums, I'd call you a success. But I don't know about qualifying a Big Ten Megacorporation list.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.

Postby stubby » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:39 pm

alphafalcon541 wrote:I bet Stubby has one built but just won't show it off.

No ACs, but I do build a lot of SHIPs that I show on facebook instead of here for some reason.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby stubby » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:52 pm

Zahru II wrote:I still don't think charging money for MOC instructions is 'ethical'.

Whoa, I missed this the first time around. You don't think this? Why not? Clearly it takes a certain amount of work to come up with a design, and additional work to create instructions for that design, especially for something as complex and difficult as the AC. Why isn't it ethical for someone to attach a dollar value to that work?
stubby
forum janitor

Postby RunsWithLegos » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:13 pm

stubby wrote:

No ACs, but I do build a lot of SHIPs that I show on facebook instead of here for some reason.

just went and checked, and holy shit. you have some awesome SHIPs
RunsWithLegos
Pooplord

Postby Zupponn » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:27 pm

stubby wrote:

Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Colette » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:17 am

I've always had this theory of a triad of superweapons: SHIPs, STDs, and giant mechs (like ACs). Having any one of them would be a generally guideline for a huge empire.

Assyrian Star Empire is one of the top as she has all three.
The 45th Union has two (a SHIP and a STD).
Trattorian Empire has two (SHIP and STD)
Immortal Empire has two (SHIP and STD)
The Paladine Imperium has 1.5 (an almost-SHIP and a giant mech)
Briktopian Empire has one (STD)
Luchardsko has one (STD)
The RIN has one (giant mech)
Scythian Empire has one (STD)
Calvarian Empire has one (giant mech)
Strana has "one" (shitton of SHIPs)
Time-Traveling Super Jews has one (SHIP)
The Synthetic-Organic Coalition (aka TSOC aka Android Nation) has one (STD)

Those are all I can think of.
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna

PreviousNext

Return to Bricks